SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Buying an older house (1950’s) - spend my (lack of) money!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buying an older house (1950’s) - spend my (lack of) money! Login/Join 
Picture of reloader-1
posted
So my offer on a house was just accepted, in South Florida. Fantastic and safe neighborhood, it’s the cheapest house on the block by $100-150k (home prices in this area are insane).

The house is from the 1950’s, and almost entirely original. 2/1, 1400 sq ft, Concrete block construction with a crawl space. Shingle roof, wood floors, jalousie windows, and some crappy linoleum in the (ancient) kitchen.

Apart from a new A/C, water heater, copper plumbing and a new electric panel the house is original (bathroom is from the 50’s, kitchen has appliances from the 80’s).

I have a 10% down payment, closing costs, and enough to replace the roof and install impact windows (hurricane).

Other than that, things will have to wait a bit. I have no other debt, and generate about $1000-1500 extra a month that I can put to the house. Any advice is appreciated, ideas, tips on what to prioritize, etc.

Long term, goals are as follows: complete remodel of kitchen and bath, new electrical in entire house, convert the large rear family room into a master with bathroom, and replace attached carport with a garage. I’m going to be here for 10-15 years, then rent or sell as appropriate.

Posts: 2325 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Personally, I’d start with the kitchen. Once stuff gets settled down there, it seems hard (to me, anyway) to find motivation to renovate it. In our house, the kitchen is the hub. Starting with that, then I’d move on to the bathroom. Just my humble opinion. *not a contractor, carpenter, or plumber*

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5323 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I’d replace the windows first. Firstly because they will save you money in the future, plus it’s and easy quick upgrade.

Then the kitchen or bathroom, whichever is cheaper.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11286 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live in South Florida and own a few of these houses and a 4 plex built in the same type of construction and age, mine are built mid 60's, but my mother's house in 1953 and she's owned it since 1978.

Do the windows first. My homeowners insurance was $6800 a year without impact windows/doors and $2600 with on a 1700 sq foot CBS house in broward county due to the windstorm (discount) from the impact doors/windows......they also REALLY quiet the house down from noise outside.

I'd say go for it. Replace the roof with tile or a metal roof, DO NOT go with shingles. The cost is not that much more all in all on a 1400 sq foot house. I went cheap with shingles in 2010 on the 4 plex and after two tropical storm winds, I've had to have shingles replaced at the tune of $1200-1500 both times. Meanwhile my mom's tile roof installed in 2001 and my tile roof at my house installed in 2015 was untouched and I live blocks away from the 4 plex. Also upgrade the impact windows to 7/16" glass (also not much more in cost over 5/16") insulates the house better and costs $100 a window more on average. MAKE SURE to do every exterior door and window, otherwise your homeowners insurance will be 2x as much......you need every opening (door/window) Dade County approved to get an insurance discount. Stick to PGT or SJW for the windows. But the insurance discount, the windows will pay for themselves in less than 3 years and best addition you can do (really quiets and secures the house). Also get a free home energy study from FPL, they'll give you a $300 rebate to do attic insulation, pay a little extra and have them blow in FIBERGLASS insulation to R30 (not the standard R19), this will drop your utility bill 20% a month and pay for itself in 3 months and is cheap with the rebate. To do my house to R30 (1700 sq foot under air) it cost me an extra $260.

That being said, a few things to watch out for. Have a good inspection done and check for termites. One thing you will probably have to plan for is replacing all of the cast iron drain plumbing under the house sometime in your ownership. Have it camera'd before you buy by a plumber to give you an idea of it's current condition. If they have to replace, they'll tunnel under the house to replace it and it's going to be $10-12,000 to replace it on a house that size. Planning on doing the electric is a good idea. So far I've seen the copper plumbing last without issues. I'd also do certain parts of the interior first before you move in, such as tiling all of the floors, or remodeling the bathroom since you only have 1. You can live through a kitchen remodel, you can't live without a bathroom for 3 weeks.

What city in South Florida is it in? If you're in Broward County I can refer you some good window companies, home inspectors etc.

Given the current interest rates and your plan, I'd say go for it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice so far, keep it coming! This is my first house, I’m divorced with a young daughter so trying to do things correctly while still being frugal in the right places.

The house is in unincorporated Miami-Dade, near Coral Gables/South Miami. Any recommendations are appreciated, down to inspection companies/title/RE lawyers etc.

Posts: 2325 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Other than checking for lead and asbestos, you should be fine. Let us know how it turns out.

Posts: 9157 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You may also want to check the wiring. There were period when aluminum wiring or two wire wiring were common.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Any radon or asbestos issues?

Posts: 12468 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
Inspection on Tuesday, checking everything. Radon, lead, asbestos, aluminum wiring, cast iron pipes, structure, electrical, roof, windows, etc.

posted Hide Post
My first house was built in the late 1960s. The next house was built in 1957. The 1950s house was was a much better built house in quality and materials and my renovations made it even better:
Kitchen.
Remodel bathrooms.
Better windows.
Upgraded HVAC and electrical service.
Each project nearly drove me nuts but was worthwhile in the long run. My advice is to never tackle more than one project at a time. And do the electrical first. Everything else flows from that.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16098 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reloader-1:
Inspection on Tuesday, checking everything. Radon, lead, asbestos, aluminum wiring, cast iron pipes, structure, electrical, roof, windows, etc.

Windows. Buckley windows or Florida impact windows are both solid companies. Expect a 4-6 week wait time for the windows to be made and installed.

www.buckleywindow.com
www.floridaimpact.com

Virtually every house has lead paint if built before 1978. I wouldn't worry about it, unless you're chipping it off of the walls and chewing on it, is what everyone has told me.

Houses down here built at that time don't generally have asbestos (or any) insulation at all.

The house is going to have 2 wire wiring from that time, generally it is not an issue. Yes 3 wire wiring is safer, but if you're not in the habit of standing in a bath tub while holding a lamp......but you mentioned you're going to upgrade electricity eventually anyways. I haven't seen a house built in the 1950's or 60's that had anything but 2 wire wiring, Mine has the green earth wire going to the electric conduit/box in each box.

Here the houses built in the 50's and 60's are built like a brick shiithouse. The ones in the 70's so/so, and the houses built in the 80's were garbage mostly.

Good luck with it and hope it all works out for you.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post