SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Decent tasting cost effective MREs.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Decent tasting cost effective MREs. Login/Join 
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cassandra:
A retired army vet told me that 1 MRE contains 2000 calories and is enough for one person per day. He said we lived with that OK, you just have to make a little sacrifice...

https://www.goarmy.com/soldier...ls-ready-to-eat.html

>Each MRE provides an average of 1,250 calories (13 percent protein, 36 percent fat, and 51 percent carbohydrates) and one-third of the Military Recommended Daily Allowance of vitamins and minerals. A full day's worth of meals would consist of three MREs.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
Originally posted by Cassandra:
A retired army vet told me that 1 MRE contains 2000 calories and is enough for one person per day. He said we lived with that OK, you just have to make a little sacrifice...

https://www.goarmy.com/soldier...ls-ready-to-eat.html

>Each MRE provides an average of 1,250 calories (13 percent protein, 36 percent fat, and 51 percent carbohydrates) and one-third of the Military Recommended Daily Allowance of vitamins and minerals. A full day's worth of meals would consist of three MREs.

I abandoned that idea, I had no clue how expensive they were. Going with Mountain House, order placed yesterday. Got enough food for two for ten days, assuming 3 meals a day (we don't eat that much). Rest will be normal stuff from grocery store to be rotated out.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Each MRE provides an average of 1,250 calories... A full day's worth of meals would consist of three MREs.

Unless they're going to be doing strenuous physical activity for an extended period, the average person doesn't need 3750 calories a day. 2000ish to 2500ish daily calories is normal for the average person.

Hence my earlier recommendation that, if you want to stock up on MREs, figure 2 per person per day. That's 2500 daily calories.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Each MRE provides an average of 1,250 calories... A full day's worth of meals would consist of three MREs.

Unless they're going to be doing strenuous physical activity for an extended period, the average person doesn't need 3750 calories a day. 2000ish to 2500ish daily calories is normal for the average person.

Hence my earlier recommendation that, if you want to stock up on MREs, figure 2 per person per day. That's 2500 daily calories.

Sure, the three-a-day recommendation on that page is based on soldiers deployed in the field who are burning a ton of calories running all over the place in heavy gear.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K0ZZZ:
I just picked up 3 or 4 more meals from the local Sierra store last weekend. When you get the 20-25% off coupons it helps even more to stock up.

Thanks for this, I didn't know Sierra had local stores. I found several in the Denver area. Where do you get the coupons from?

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.thereadystore.com/

I like this place as they always have stuff on sale...and I only buy the sale items.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
And while preparing for whatever may befall you, dont forget your pets need to eat.
Unless you plan to eat them, of course.
My cat enjoys Dinty Moore stew. And he enjoys Hormel (no bean) chili.

And don’t forget the meds for pets also. As mentioned in the other thread, China is responsible for the majority of pharmaceutical production.

Posts: 1223 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
FUCK YOU Mountain House. Jerks cancelled my order and waited four days to tell me. Need new source of similar food if anybody can suggest something similar.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
FUCK YOU Mountain House. Jerks cancelled my order and waited four days to tell me. Need new source of similar food if anybody can suggest something similar.

Costco and Sam's both sell Mountain House in boxes that come out to a good price.

It pops up on Woot from time to time.

REI also carries it, and you get a small bulk discount when you buy 6+ individual packages (10-15%, I don't recall). If you are a member, you get an additional 10% dividend, and 5% with the credit card.

Add instant mashed potato (Costco) to any freeze dried meal to instantly add calories.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Costco and REI are out. Man I wish I knew this four days ago when I ordered the food. Looks like I'm gonna be buying some beans and rice. Mad

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Costco and REI are out. Man I wish I knew this four days ago when I ordered the food. Looks like I'm gonna be buying some beans and rice. Mad

Jesse that is actually a better idea. Add things like this to your list as well:

Canned chicken
Pasta
Canned tuna
Some dried onions etc.

And you’ll have much healthier options that should have a decent shelf life. We rotate our stock and it has served us well..

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6317 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Went to REI in person (only out online currently), bought a crap ton of stuff from them, like half of their inventory. Also I ordered from Sierra Club a similar amount of stuff at much lower cost. If the Sierra stuff shows up, I might return some of the REI stuff because between the two I spent $575 which is way over budget.

This weekend, more water, canned goods, rice, and beans.

Anyone know what is a good canned beef or chicken, is there such a thing or should I stick with Tuna?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^. Costco has their canned chicken on sale right now, couple bucks off.

Their canned roast beast is pretty good too.

Canned hams aren’t too bad either.....when you’re hungry.

Posts: 11846 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Connoisseur of
Fine Firearms
Picture of lbaker45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Their canned roast beast is pretty good too.

Roast beast? Never tried that before.

Posts: 1926 | Location: Midwest | Registered: November 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Went to REI in person (only out online currently), bought a crap ton of stuff from them, like half of their inventory. Also I ordered from Sierra Club a similar amount of stuff at much lower cost. If the Sierra stuff shows up, I might return some of the REI stuff because between the two I spent $575 which is way over budget.

A friend of mine said they saw someone buying a bunch of those meals in the Fairfax REI yesterday.....

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16399 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
I can't get you anywhere near your price point. 2 people x 2 months for $200 isn't going to happen unless you resort to survival bars and multi-vitamins.

I can, however, vouch for the quality of the foodstuffs offered by My Patriot Supply.

It's tasty and good for 25 years. You'll probably spend close to $1K for 8 full weeks for 2 people @ 2K calories per day, but you won't notice you're eating survival food. I think they offer financing, too. For a 25 year investment, that's only $40/year for peace of mind that you won't have to worry about starving in the event of disaster.

ETA: My Patriot Supply sells the Datrex emergency survival bars if you really want. You'll need about 38 packages to stretch two months for 2 people and that's gonna run you less than $300. I did Medifast for 30 days and these probably taste better, so you could probably pull it off if you wanted to. Big Grin

-Rob
I ordered from these guys last weekend and their website said they were experiencing 12x-15x above normal demand so shipping is 10-14 days. Today, they're posting that demand is near 100X normal volume so shipping is 6-8 weeks.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23259 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Why’d ya go to REI? And the other place? That stuff is stupid expensive.

Go get a bunch of cheap stuff at Walmart or Aldi.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Why’d ya go to REI? And the other place? That stuff is stupid expensive.

Go get a bunch of cheap stuff at Walmart or Aldi.

I wanted to get long term storage stuff for this or any other future possible supply interruptions/zombie apocalypse.

I have now 1 month long term supplies. Next cheaper canned stuff, rice, beans and seeds.

I didn't even know Walmart or Aldi sold stuff like this.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
quote:

A friend of mine said they saw someone buying a bunch of those meals in the Fairfax REI yesterday.....

I was there today, probably be sold out by this weekend.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

posted Hide Post
Skins, there is a latter day saints pantry in Upper Marlboro. Might be worth checking out.

Posts: 817 | Registered: February 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post