SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why Science and Experience Command That You Buy an “Assault Rifle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why Science and Experience Command That You Buy an “Assault Rifle Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
Townhall.com
Kurt Schlichter
May 7, 2018

It must be nice walking through life believing that the paradise the founders built here in North America is the natural state of man, and that we can therefore forgo the difficult and dangerous tasks associated with defending it. But some of us don’t have the luxury of illusions. We know that peace and civilization are not the natural state of man, and that the black swan events that we have somehow convinced ourselves could never happen do happen with startling regularity. And this is why you should buy guns and ammunition.

Specifically, you should own, at a minimum, a modern semiautomatic rifle like an AR-15 that is simple to operate, easily accessorized for the individual user, reliable, and rugged. Liberals call these “assault rifles,” though they are not. Insisting that liberals be accurate when describing what they seek to ban is “gunsplaining,” a heinous macroaggression that is right up there with assuming someone’s gender on the Big List O’ Liberal Sins.

If you don't agree with me, you clearly hate science. Why do liberals hate science so much?

But it is science – the math is clear that chaos is in the cards, and you better be ready. As BJ Campbell writes in his brilliant article The Surprisingly Solid Mathematical Case of the Tin Foil Hat Gun Prepper (Or, “Who Needs an AR-15 Anyway?”) – thank you Kathy Shaidle for the pointer! – we already face a significant chance of significant upheaval in the near future even before we factor in the kind of attacks on the rule of law and on citizen sovereignty that we're currently seeing from the left and their Fredocon appeaser pals.

We are watching a real-time elite coup to undo the election. Our rights to free speech, freedom of religion and the right to keep and bear arms are under vicious attack by liberals and their cultural and corporate cronies. The elite is no longer even hiding its belief that Normals have no right to govern ourselves.

And the Normals feel it. They have the unsettling, nagging feeling that the fabric of society is fraying, that this is all starting to fall apart. And their anxiety manifests not just in whispered questions like “Do you think this is going to end in a civil war?” (Probably not, but the good news is that if the Democrats provoke another one the Normals will win again). It manifests in the culture. Look at the popularity of apocalyptic entertainments like The Walking Dead. Look at the number of TV shows about people prepping for disaster. Heck, look at the sales of my novels about America’s fate if liberals are allowed to rule unchallenged – and the terrible conflict that would lead to.

Being prepared, which means having the means to physically defend yourself and your rights (that means guns, folks), is the rational choice, the choice compelled by science. It is also your legal duty – and moral duty – as an American citizen.

Or you can be defenseless. Helpless. A subject instead of a citizen. But science makes clear that chaos is a real possibility. Are you going to be ready, or are you just going to deny science?

The lessons of experience support the science. I once got in a Twitter argument with Josh Marshall of Talking Points Memo about how you can't truly be a man if you don't have weapons to defend what yours. Before he blocked me, he scoffed at the notion that we should rely on ourselves for our own defense rather than rely on the government – this was before the Broward Coward disgrace – because our civilization could ever collapse. Except it has.

I know. I was there.

I saw it with my own eyes about 26 years ago right here in the middle of a huge American city. I was in the midst of the Los Angeles riots, in South Central and elsewhere, as an Army first lieutenant, starting the first night. And now I don't have the luxury of comfortable limousine liberal fantasies about how you can outsource your duty to defend yourself, your family, your community, and your Constitution.

I saw the terrified, defenseless people at the mercy of thugs. The cops? Gone. But those Korean groceries on the rooftops with their rifles – they were not defenseless.

I was unarmed at first, and I won’t make that mistake again. I preparing for my first year of law school final exams when the trouble started. I was home in Pasadena when I saw the broadcast of the Reginald Denny atrocity – that's when a bunch of animals dragged a guy out of his truck and smashed his head in with a brick on television after the LAPD fled.

I was less than a year back from the Gulf War, and I had sold all my guns before leaving my home station in Germany to muster out. Only a couple months before I had decided to give the Army another go and joined the California Army National Guard’s 3rd Battalion, 160th Infantry, located in beautiful downtown Inglewood. If you don't know Los Angeles geography, let me put it this way. A lot of the buildings around the armory would be burned down by the end of the riots, except not the Astro Burger. Burgers build bridges.

So, I called the battalion HQ and asked if we would be getting mobilized and was told “No.” Being a soldier, I immediately started packing and then soon got the call: Get in here, LT.

Great. Drive from Pasadena into Inglewood in the middle of a riot with no gun. I took the advice of a frazzled cop with a pump-action 12 gauge at a road block off the 405 who was baffled at why this white Army guy in a 1988 gold Chevy Beretta needed to drive toward the fires. I drove really fast.

At the time, the then-geniuses running the Guard centralized all the Guard’s ammo about four hours away. But the Guardsmen – many of them from the affected neighborhoods – took the kind of initiative that makes American soldiers the best in the world. They brought their own stuff. I never saw so many guns in my life, and the gangsters and rioters wisely, with some exceptions that worked out poorly for the bad guys, gave our troops a wide berth.

But we eventually got Army ammo, and though I did nothing personally heroic or edgy, I carried a M16A1. That’s a real assault rifle, with full auto capability. My selector switch lock, designed to keep you from selecting “AUTO,” somehow broke off. I totally have no idea how that happened.

Being the new officer in the unit, I got put with the battalion commander as his assistant S3 (operations officer) so he could observe me and decide if I was worthy of getting a company command (I eventually got two). I went everywhere in his hummer because our troops were everywhere. And I was hugged by the residents because we brought safety to their neighborhoods – something they had not had even before the riots. All it took was two divisions, about six combat brigades, of soldiers and a bunch of Marines to pacify just one part of one city.

The Army currently has 58 active and reserve brigade combat teams. Again, do the math. The military will do its best, but the cavalry is almost certainly not coming.

When I got off duty after three weeks, before I even went home, I stopped at the packed Turner's Outdoorsman in Pasadena and bought a weapon.

And you should too, if you are mentally sound, law-abiding, and have the willingness to train and responsibly use one. Because, while the chance you will ever have to fire a weapon is very low, the downside of not having one when you need it is very high. You die.

Liberals who want you disarmed will often point out that you have a higher chance of being killed if you have a gun in your house. This is probably true. After all, criminals have guns in their houses and criminals are more likely to be killed, so that probably skews the numbers. Perhaps the fact that a gun is in your house makes it more likely, to some degree, that you may be killed by it, most likely by yourself, because suicide counts for >60% of gun deaths in America.

But if you don't have access to effective firearms, and what liberals mislabel “assault rifles” are the best tactical choice, you have a 100% chance of not being able to defend yourself. As the suppressed CDC study that was recently revealed demonstrates, gun use for self-defense happens several million times a year. Unarmed, you have no chance to defend yourself, your family, your community, or your Constitution from threats.

Ignore the liberals who want an America where you disarmed and defenseless against the tyranny they dream of imposing. Ignore the hateful teens MSNBCNN spotlight and the Hollywood virtue signalers who harangue you from behind armed guards. Ignore the blue falcon Democrat vets who think their tour in Iraq means they earned some sort of moral authority to dictate to you what guns you do and don’t need. If that’s how it works, I did 27 years, so doesn’t my guidance that you should totally buy an AR-15 count? No? Oh, right – their vetsplaining is just manipulative liberal baloney.

Instead, be guided by science. The science, supported by experience, make clear what you need to do. Buy guns and ammunition. Get an AR-15.

Gee, why do liberals hate science so much?

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
ya beat me to it. good article

Posts: 19574 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Good article, people think we have evolved and that if we had no guns the world would be a Disney movie.

Wrong.....after traveling the world and most the US, we have not changed in the last 3 millennia....just have cooler toys.

When I was in Tanzania....by African standards a very peaceful country, I used to joke..."we're only a gunshot away from a massacre.

Here is the US .....if we lose the tech keeping the masses comatose...it would be bad.

And once the thugs burn their own neighborhoods guess where they are heading, yup my lily white thoroughly socially isolated neighborhood.

The libtards cannot fathom this....or they want it to happen.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
ya beat me to it. good article

Me too! Then man has a head on his shoulders.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Re: “As the suppressed CDC study that was recently revealed demonstrates, gun use for self-defense happens several million times a year.”

Does anyone have a link to that CDC study?

And what’s the story of its suppression?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8954 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Re: “As the suppressed CDC study that was recently revealed demonstrates, gun use for self-defense happens several million times a year.”

Does anyone have a link to that CDC study?

And what’s the story of its suppression?

The study may be this one: Link

The story of suppression is long, convoluted and disputed. Google yields all sorts of op-eds.

Here is a recent treatment where I found the above link. Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I was there for the '92 LA Triathlon, Shoot-Loot-Scoot.

Once when talking to a Libtard, I mentioned what fun we had back then. He said I was racist for thinking riots could happen again, and crazy for thinking that I needed to be prepared.

I told him he was stupid for thinking riots would not happen again and crazy for not being prepared.

Talking to Libtards is pointless.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...020008044#1020008044

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Thanks, SJ.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8954 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Okay, this is a little weird - Twilight Zone weird.

I'm not sure what the actual definition of "Fredocon" is. I can guess it from context, but I wanted to be sure, so I looked it up on Bing and Google and NEITHER will bring up a flat definition of it.

Plenty of links to Schlichter's columns but no definition.

Odd...

If someone would care to enlighten me, I'd appreciate it.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why Science and Experience Command That You Buy an “Assault Rifle

The only small quibble is that the use of the word 'an' here implies that one is enough. Wink

Posts: 15029 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Okay, this is a little weird - Twilight Zone weird.

I'm not sure what the actual definition of "Fredocon" is. I can guess it from context, but I wanted to be sure, so I looked it up on Bing and Google and NEITHER will bring up a flat definition of it.

Plenty of links to Schlichter's columns but no definition.

Odd...

Best I could come up with is it's a portmanteau of Fredo from the Godfather and Conservative. A traitorous conservative. Kinda like John McCain.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

From Kurt Schlicter's Twitter feed:

"Phrase @KurtSchlichter coined. "Fredocon" references Fredo from Godfather. Never go against the family."

Thus, conservatives that are opposed to the current administration are "going against family".

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Ah. The Fount of Knowledge never fails.

Thank you, Gentlemen.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
quote:
Why Science and Experience Command That You Buy an “Assault Rifle

The only small quibble is that the use of the word 'an' here implies that one is enough. Wink

We all know how that ends up. No one ever just stops at one. The author has to know this.

...that I will support
and defend...

Posts: 872 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Remember Katrina? Remember watching the rioters smashing Denny's head in with a cinder block? Remember the Michael Brown riots? Championship riots? Imagine total prolonged social chaos brought on by economic collapse due to trillions in debt and unsound policy. Remember the EBT card funding delay a few years ago? How did they behave? Now imagine them three days hungry.... what would a mob be willing to do with LE nonexistent, federal assistance gone, stores already looted and three days hungry?

You want to face a desperate, immoral, unaccountable mob with a six shooter? How about a limited capacity magazine? Watch the videos and put yourself in Denny's place.....worse, put a loved one in Denny's place. Mrs. DF and have already decided we will never be on our knees with a knife to our throats or in Denny's place.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29699 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bought a 239 magazine for $10, got banned for free.
posted Hide Post
Yes,oh yes.

Posts: 279 | Location: West TN | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Anyone who lived in through the Rodney King riots in 92 would be a fool not to own an AR now...

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post