SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Everyday boots
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Everyday boots Login/Join 
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
You live in Texas, and can’t find some good boots? I’m calling BS, because you ain’t looking hard enough!

The sad truth is boots just aren’t what they used to be. Nearly all of the manufacturers outsource. I have some unique requirements, in that my boots need to be dressy, lace up, composite shank, and waterproof if possible. Red Wings used to be that way, but now the only thing they make in house are leather work boots. I went to the factory last year, hoping to pick up a few things, only to find out that the exact same models were now made offshore.

I ended up settling for two pairs of Ariats Heritage lancers, which are good boots but still made on foreign soil. I believe that Justin’s still makes their lacer here, but I’ve not been able to source a pair locally.

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I wore Red Wings my entire working life.

Bought two pairs at the same time, wore one pair one day, the other the next day. Healthy feet, and the boots lasted three times longer.

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Theres a Rockport store in the mall and a Redwing store about 15 mins drive from me.

The boots I have lasted me a good long time so I don't mind paying some coin for quality.

JB

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Once you've determined what medium quality US made Red Wings cost, compare that with these or other boots in the Russell line.

http://www.russellmoccasin.com/country-chukka/

Posts: 7471 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Timely thread, all I have is a cheap pair of steel toed boots for work, for the rare times I have to be in the field.

Been wanting to pick up a decent pair of everyday laced 'hiking' boots.

Didn't realize the pricing spread on them Eek
Will have to see what's available locally, since I had to size down 1.5 sizes for my steel-toe boots. Confused

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15369 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I love my Danners. I think I've had them about 12 years now. I'm on my 5th set of soles, but the boots themselves are still solid. I'll probably invest in a new pair the next time I need some so I have a "nice" pair of boots again, but I'll get the old ones resoled as they will be serviceable for years to come.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3519 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lugerguards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muzzleloader:
You may find what you like in Chippewa's lineup. I have a pair of light weight 6 inch with speed lace hooks. Have held up really well and made here. I like the little American flag too.

Same here, I have 3 pairs in my closet currently.

Nothing here to see!

Posts: 1869 | Location: Will County, Illinois | Registered: October 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
http://www.basspro.com/shop/en...SSELL_PRODUCT_SB_HZ2

These have to be the most comfortable boots I own. They come in 2 colors and can also be purchased in a lower boat shoe.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4016 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
You might check out Lowa boots. I've had good luck with a few of their models over the years.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
If the Rockports are comfortable when you try them on, I'd go with them. They're known for making an extremely comfortable shoe right out of the box, and the look is good on that boot too.

If they don't seem comfortable to me pretty much immediately, I go find something else to wear.

That said, I've still got an old pair of Danner Sharptails, and they're great boots. Just maybe not a business casual boot.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
Check out Danner Boots. I've got 3 pairs and they are all very well made and reasonably priced. They have a factory in Oregon plus some that are made overseas. I probably will never have to buy another pair of boots because the Danner's wear like iron.

Jim

I was going to recommend the Danner Bull Run Moc Toe boots. US made, currently available on Shoes.com for $150~ after the website's 25% off sale.

https://www.shoes.com/danner-b..._-none-_-none-_-none

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Adirondack Mtn Guy, The One Stop Shop
Picture of AdkMtnGuy
posted Hide Post
I've actually been looking for combat boots that meet AR-670-1 with the following specs if possible:
1. Zero Drop
2. Sneaker-like (a fit like Nike, Blackhawk)
3. Coyote Tan (to go with multicams)

Who has knowledge of this?

Take Care, God Bless, and be safe!
~AdkMtnGuy
WY0ADK

http://www.MacGregorSpecialties.com
NRA Certified Instructor
Defensive Shooting Instructor
Oath Keeper
Μολὼν Λαβέ

"Pain is your friend, it lets you know you're still alive and therefore you've still got fight left in you..." -me

"Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God." Matthew 5:9 - New Line of Duty June 11, 2010 - WOOF!
And another one on top, Feb 14, 2012!

Challenge my Brute! http://mac.mybrute.com

Posts: 1695 | Location: Circle of Protection | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AdkMtnGuy:
I've actually been looking for combat boots that meet AR-670-1 with the following specs if possible:
1. Zero Drop

Only zero drop combat boots I'm aware of are the belleville minimil's. I have a pair and like them. Checks box 1 and 3. Probably have a bigger toe box than those listed in number 2. No idea if meets AR-670-1. They are a true minimalist boot.. if you are not used to "barefoot" shoes, ease into using them.

ETA: the internet says they are AR-670-1 compliant

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Adirondack Mtn Guy, The One Stop Shop
Picture of AdkMtnGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tha1000:
quote:
1. Zero Drop

Only zero drop combat boots I'm aware of are the belleville minimil's. I have a pair and like them. Checks box 1 and 3. Probably have a bigger toe box than those listed in number 2. No idea if meets AR-670-1. They are a true minimalist boot.. if you are not used to "barefoot" shoes, ease into using them.

Ooooooh!! Thank you sir! I did a search a while back and found myself squirreled, and wasn't real long on time for that attempted search, but now I have something to go on.

I have picky feet, and these picky feet really don't like a lot of shoes, and especially boots. I have been wearing almost exclusively Altra shoes now for the last several months, and my feet LOVE them.

I came across these once before on the internet, but I really want to get them in-hand to check them out. I need a retailer...

Take Care, God Bless, and be safe!
~AdkMtnGuy
WY0ADK

http://www.MacGregorSpecialties.com
NRA Certified Instructor
Defensive Shooting Instructor
Oath Keeper
Μολὼν Λαβέ

"Pain is your friend, it lets you know you're still alive and therefore you've still got fight left in you..." -me

"Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God." Matthew 5:9 - New Line of Duty June 11, 2010 - WOOF!
And another one on top, Feb 14, 2012!

Challenge my Brute! http://mac.mybrute.com

Posts: 1695 | Location: Circle of Protection | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
The last several pairs I have bought are Saloman GTX4 or something like that They are a fairly serious hiking boot. Room for orthotics inside and plenty of ankle support. I can highly recommend this boot. The size is dead on for me. I wear 12 in redwings and these too. I get mine from REI,~$225

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5160 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I was watching videos of them making NICKS boots yesterday.... must look away....

Posts: 21121 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by tha1000:
quote:
1. Zero Drop

Ooooooh!! Thank you sir! I did a search a while back and found myself squirreled, and wasn't real long on time for that attempted search, but now I have something to go on.

I have picky feet, and these picky feet really don't like a lot of shoes, and especially boots. I have been wearing almost exclusively Altra shoes now for the last several months, and my feet LOVE them.

I came across these once before on the internet, but I really want to get them in-hand to check them out. I need a retailer...

Similar toe box to altras but a lot less cushioning. I like the altras a lot too.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
I used to have a pair of Rockports like that. Great for everyday around town.

Yep, using some similar for everyday this winter, no issue. But, it’s light duty, walk around town, etc.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2365 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo Jones:
However, apparently it looks like Timberland doesn't make real boots for actual men anymore.

JB

I have the Timberland Pro boots, 6 or 8 years of daily use, built like a tank. They still make them, but they are heavy. For lighter duty I have Merrell hikers.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
AdkMtnGuy: https://www.bellevilleboot.com...product_detail&p=151

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post