SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Seven US Sailors are missing after a US Navy destroyer collided with a 21,000 ton cargo ship 56 miles off the coast of Japan.
Page 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... 45
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seven US Sailors are missing after a US Navy destroyer collided with a 21,000 ton cargo ship 56 miles off the coast of Japan. Login/Join 
Skeptic
Picture of Mike the Texan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

Five sailors with a sledgehammer and kettlebell broke down the door to his cabin to rescue Commander Benson, who was hanging from the side of the ship.

A kettlebell? I guess there's no time to pick the perfect hammer when the captain's trapped.

Posts: 220 | Location: Near a white sand beach. | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike the Texan:
quote:

Five sailors with a sledgehammer and kettlebell broke down the door to his cabin to rescue Commander Benson, who was hanging from the side of the ship.

A kettlebell? I guess there's no time to pick the perfect hammer when the captain's trapped.

It does read strange, doesn't it, but when you are out there in the dark, the ship is torn up, everybody is running around trying to figure what happened, you have to improvise. I bet it isn't authorized in the pertinent BuShips instruction.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017...e-relieved-duty.html

Navy Commander Bryce Benson, the commanding officer of USS Fitzgerald, along with the warship’s second in command and the command master chief will be “detached for cause” — or effectively fired — on Friday, Admiral William Moran, Vice Chief of Naval Operations, said at The Pentagon.

As the USS Fitzgerald, a guided-missile destroyer, proceeded south from her homeport of Yokosuka, Japan at 20 knots in the early morning hours of June 17, more ships appeared and the area became “congested,” Moran said.

Seven sailors drowned in the compartment known as “Berthing 2.” There were 28 other sailors who made it out of the compartment, which flooded quickly.

“It is somewhat amazing that we didn’t lose far more,” Moran said.

“Clearly at some point the bridge team lost situational awareness,” said Moran, describing the group of officers and sailors responsible for driving the warship through the water.

In addition to relieving the warship’s top leadership, Moran said about a dozen other sailors also face disciplinary action.

They will face non-judicial punishments yet to be determined.

The Chief of Naval Operations, Admiral John M. Richardson, is expected to release details of the full investigation in a matter of “weeks,” Moran said.

from the Navy report

report:

https://www.nytimes.com/intera...zgerald.html?mcubz=0

collision angle between DDG 62 and ACX Crystal is about 23 deg

pdf of report:

https://assets.documentcloud.o...n-USS-Fitzgerald.pdf

If you adjust the Navy report collision diagram to account that Crystal was at 68 deg course at collision, DDG 62 would be heading almost due east

adding: above needs a caveat. It is possible that Crystal made a last minute hard turn to starboard such that Crystal course at impact was higher than 68 deg

from the Navy report:

Approx 0130 Collision w ACX Crystal

0132 DDG 62 sounds collision alarm

that reads like they never saw Crystal until time of impact

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sdy,

Posts: 19574 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
A more detailed account of the aftermath along with pictures. Damn...

http://www.thedrive.com/the-wa...ns-punishing-sailors

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
The report, at least as redacted, has no info about the operation of the ship before and at the time of the collision.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
A more detailed account of the aftermath along with pictures. Damn...

http://www.thedrive.com/the-wa...ns-punishing-sailors

Another article with pix of those being relieved: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...sh-removed-duty.html

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16214 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
The report, at least as redacted, has no info about the operation of the ship before and at the time of the collision.

Probably because

"Adm. William Moran, the vice chief of naval operations, said Thursday that the ship's captain

Cmdr. Bryce Benson and executive officer, Cmrd. Sean Babbitt will be relieved of their command.

Additionally Master Chief Petty Officer Brice Baldwin, the ship's command master chief is being removed.

Nearly a dozen other crew members face punishment."

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Tough year for the Captain. First your crew tries to kill you in your sleep in your cabin, then the Navy fires you.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Tough year for the Captain. First your crew tries to kill you in your sleep in your cabin, then the Navy fires you.

I am thinking there may have been something systemic about watch standing attitude/atmosphere while on the bridge.

The surprise is the CMC being relieved. It leads me to believe there may have been indications of enlisted persons gundecking their quals and he (the CMC) knew about it or should have known.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:

I am thinking there may have been something systemic about watch standing attitude/atmosphere while on the bridge.

The surprise is the CMC being relieved. It leads me to believe there may have been indications of enlisted persons gundecking their quals and he (the CMC) knew about it or should have known.

That was the exact thoughts of two Navy friends, "With those guys getting canned, that meant there were people manning positions that they shouldn't have been and were not qualified."

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I wonder the captain's current condition. Almost gets killed, then looses his job (position?). Will he be separated without retirement? Tragic, all around.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
"FTZ underway in the Sea of Japan on the way to Subic Bay, Philippines. She
was on a course of 230 degrees (True) at 20 knots..."

Is this a typo or is there something I don't understand about navigational terms? Isn't that the opposite direction of the Crystal's course?

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
I wonder the captain's current condition. Almost gets killed, then looses his job (position?). Will he be separated without retirement? Tragic, all around.

I think if he has twenty, he can retire. If he is really close and otherwise deserving, he might flop around in some staff job until he does have twenty. He might be medically retired if his injuries justify that. If there are courts martial offenses, that might impact things.

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
DDG 62 course 230 deg, speed 20 knots was at local time 0000. That was 1.5 hours before the collision.

Posts: 19574 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
the ship's command master chief is being removed

They are far from being done firing people if they canned the CMC.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
In US Naval terms, does fired mean kicked out of the NAVY or just kicked off the ship?

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HuskySig:
In US Naval terms, does fired mean kicked out of the NAVY or just kicked off the ship?

You get 'fired' from a job or position, as in this case, he is fired as Captain of the Fitz.

Most times, they end up with a nice safe desk job in the Pentagon (or somewhere else with 'adult supervision') while they wait for the clock to run out to 20 years so they can get their retirement.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HuskySig:

Relieved from your duty. Usually for different duty or stand by for court martial.

This was a certainty for the CO. A collision is very bad, and a collision while you are in your cabin, anywhere but the bridge is inexcusable. It means your officers were not properly trained, supervised, led, etc.

It was a near certainty for the XO, maybe the navigator, too. The officers then on watch are in deep trouble.

There were no Command Master Chiefs in my Navy so I have no idea what their role ought to be.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Agreed that the Captain, XO, and CMC will likely get to cross the retirement finish line, assuming they don't face punishment under the UCMJ. If that happens, all bets are off.

If it truly was a ship with systemic training / leadership problems, I think the Navy will ensure that "the word gets out" to the rest of the Surface Navy, along with making the appropriate people examples.

There is a big difference between causing serious material damage to your plane / ship / sub and an incident such as this. 7 people died under their watch and the general understand is that there are no extenuating circumstances that would point to anything other the gross negligence on the part of the leadership and or those on watch.

Thankfully the DCC / DCA and the repair locker teams had their shit wired tight, otherwise the Fitz could have sunk and had more loss of life.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
DDG 62 course 230 deg, speed 20 knots was at local time 0000. That was 1.5 hours before the collision.

Thank you. I missed the time.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post