SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My first auction ever won on Gunbroker, now a debacle
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My first auction ever won on Gunbroker, now a debacle Login/Join 
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted
I won an auction on Gunbroker for a new Browning SA22 .22 rifle. Seller is an actual gun shop with pretty good feedback. I won the auction last Monday (3/15/21) and my FFL sent them their license on the following Wednesday. The seller advertises 2-4 day shipping. Well, I've gotten no updates from them and the status on Gunbroker is still showing "Waiting on FFL." I sent an e-mail yesterday and this morning asking for a status with no response. So I called them today. Turns out, they accidently pulled the rifle I won to fill someone else's order and sent it to the wrong FFL. They are now trying to get the rifle back from the FFL they shipped it to so they can send it to my FFL. They said they are hoping to have it back by the first half of next week.

How does this even happen? They sent the rifle to a different FFL to fill a different order? Good luck getting the rifle back.

Geez, what a cluster fuck.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately there are some shops that sell things they don’t actually have and then have to scramble to get another one.

Even more unfortunate is that GunBroker has such a monopoly for online gun sales that it’s a massive moneymaker and they have no interest in fixing these types of events.

You can’t really do anything about it other than be patient.

Posts: 3920 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I'll give it a little time. At some point though, if I haven't gotten it, I'll have to cancel the purchase so I have time to dispute the charge with my credit card company, if it comes to that.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
That sucks...by I would just be patient...I had a P232 Stainless I bought on Gunbroker that took weeks to ship to my FFL. It eventually worked out.

I'd ask them to waive any shipping /FFL fees since they screwed up your purchase.

JB

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
Turns out, they accidently pulled the rifle I won to fill someone else's order

Accident my ass Roll Eyes

They had another sucker bid WAY more than you did and this is their excuse.

GB is totally out of control if you ask me.

Posts: 33807 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
At least you used a credit card so you're covered. I think you have 30 days from when the transaction is posted on your statement.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19662 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Trying to look on the bright side, you are probably only at the 'craptastic' state at this point - you won't reach 'debacle' state unless and until they never deliver the rifle or waffle on returning money. Smile

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
If this doesn't get fixed, I'd keep some documentation showing screw up and the serial number just in case that gun ever ends up somewhere it shouldn't be.

Posts: 9509 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:

That's possible, especially if they had multiple auctions going for the same model of gun, and if they were planning to drop ship, even worse. I see a lot of high-volume sellers on GB running multiple auctions for new guns. In most cases you are not bidding an a specific gun ID'd by serial number, but just one like it that they hopefully have in stock. This sounds like either a legit screw up in shipping or they got caught with too many balls in the air. But at least you can cancel and request a chargeback. Not the worst case GB scenario I've seen.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
The fees have increases for selling and I noticed JacktheDog is now on Gun Auction.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I'm not afraid of losing anything. They're a legit dealer. They have an actual store and a website and sell a lot on GB. They have an A+ rating. It's just unusual. And it figures. My first dealing on GB and this is how it goes.

I've taken screen shots of everything, including the close up of the serial number you can see on the GB photo.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
The fees have increases for selling and I noticed JacktheDog is now on Gun Auction.

GB seller's fee has stayed the same for a while. 6% for the first $250 plus 3.5% for any amount above $250.

JackTheDog has been selling on Gun Auction forever. I bought from them there several years ago.

Q

Posts: 26383 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure JacktheDog was on Auction Arms and is now on Gun Auction because AA changed their name. JtD is a master at photography and can get top dollar on his wares.

My worst GB experience was using an ffl that got disciplined (shut down and locked up) after I'd designated him as my transfer dealer. I did make contact before seller had shipped but it caused a delay and some minor heartburn. I had to scramble to find a new ffl to do the transfer and the one I found was a crotchety old dude who insisted on a phone conversation with the seller and also insisted that he mail my payment with his ffl. I brought my payment in an envelope that had one of my Masonic stick on return address labels. When the ffl saw that I was a Mason everything changed and we were like long lost friends.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:

100% There is a pistol I was looking at that had multiple auctions going for the same gun. Same exact pictures used and everything.

They probably had more than one but they could have easily had 3 finished auctions and only had 2 guns and then had to scramble. I just don't like that stuff so I didn't even bid on something that I normally would have.

It's a shame that GunBroker makes such an insane amount of money that they could really care less about things like this.

Posts: 3920 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Now repeat after me....."Please cancel this order and refund my money immediately. Thank you." As others have noted here, this GS is likely playing a game with you. Let them play it with someone else.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
That was no accident.

Seek a refund and be done with that Dealer.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
That was no accident.

Seek a refund and be done with that Dealer.

Agreed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Don't jump to conclusions, humans work at guns shops too. Maybe they had a teenager working for them packaging and he sent the wrong gun. I have received firearms that were not meant to go to me, some from mom and pop places and some from big, online dealers. Mistakes happen. Yes, they could have sold it for more but that is not necessarily the case. If they have good feedback then chances are they made an honest mistake although it seems most here think that is impossible.

Posts: 4107 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it's a legit shop and they have good feedback. I tend to want to give them the benefit of the doubt. But I can only wait so long before I lose the window to challenge the charge on my CC. I sent the owner an email letting him know what I was told. I asked him if I was correct in my understanding that they do not actually currently have the SA22 I won at auction. And if they have a "factory new, in box" SA22 they can ship, and if not, when can they get one. I told him I can wait a few more days, but after that I will need a refund.

Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I just got an e-mail back from the owner apologizing profusely and telling me an inexperienced employee accidentally sent the SA22 to another FFL instead of the Browning he was supposed to ship. He said the serial numbers were only a digit or two different. I own a few Brownings and I can tell you that is absolutely true - they can look very much the same. He said he has contacted the FFL that got my SA22 and asked for it to be shipped back.