SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    California to Ban Sales of New, Gas Powered Vehicles by 2035 - Stupidity Level 10 Exceeded!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

California to Ban Sales of New, Gas Powered Vehicles by 2035 - Stupidity Level 10 Exceeded! Login/Join 
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Another thing I’m sure Newsom hadn’t considered is that it’s one thing to plug your EV in at night in your garage but what about the literally millions of people who don’t have a garage (condo and apartment renters?

I can just see all the extensions cords all over the place!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
There is not going to be any Class 8 electric trucks without a major breakthrough in battery technology. It will be feasible to operate electric trucks when it is feasible to have electric airliners. The same rules about energy density apply to both. Legislate all you want, it’s not happening.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
This might work if it wasn't for that pesky Commerce clause...

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
This might work if it wasn't for that pesky Commerce clause...
Certainly hasn't stopped them before. Roll Eyes

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:
Originally posted by Plugugly:
How long does it take to charge an electric vehicle? I bet it's not as quick as filling the tank on my ranger at the gas station

Also, what is the life span on the batteries? How much will they cost to replace when they fail? Do they develop a memory?

Good points.

I might ask, what is the negative environmental impact on the manufacture and disposal of such batteries? What is the source of electricity used to charge the batteries, and related environmental impact?

Speed charging I'm not too concern with, that technology continues to advance. I believe the issue of supporting infrastructure is the elephant in the room that nobody (in gov) wants to address; it's not sexy like the actual vehicles.

Just the batteries alone will require a broader and more intense level of resource extraction...mining. The greenies are so intent on eliminating fossil fuels and seeing wells, piping and refineries disappear that their blind push, naively leaves out the necessary processes to obtaining all the metals and acids needed to support an all electrical energy landscape.

Then there's the disposal, batteries don't have infinite lifetimes, you got a device, with many different metals, with toxic substances inside. Are all these auto manufacturers/parts suppliers obligated to create a battery recycle program? New homes or, home sales required to have their electrical updated? What happens to municipalities who don't/drag their feet to update civic infrastructure to support the new electrical demands....end up like Flint, decades differing water pipe updates, resulting in a health hazard.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
They have the worst electrical grid in the country, at least that is what I have been told my friends who live there. Great. Thanks Gov. Dickhead. More of your fucking loony toon liberal fucktards will come here now and it’s already been overrun by libtard jack wagon fuck stick Kalifornians. Fuck me. Man I can’t wait to leave Texas.
OK, what does Texas have to do with this? Our Governor is fairly sane, and we have our own separate power grid, which works pretty well.

To generate all the power California will need for all those electric vehicles would require it to cover all available ground with either solar or wind units, and whole complexes full of batteries for when the wind doesn't blow and at night.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
To generate all the power California will need for all those electric vehicles would require it to cover all available ground with either solar or wind units, and whole complexes full of batteries for when the wind doesn't blow and at night.

CA will buy more power from outside the state and mexico until there's no more power capacity to buy, and then the price points from those suppliers will go through the roof. This allows them to claim green even though they are causing massive pollution across state lines.

Solar and wind can't keep up with todays tech, the advantage though in CA is tax incentives and high power costs, those are necessary to implement a renewable energy system in a mass way. Fuel at $3 a gallon stops e-vehicle conversion, unless you just want people to see your conservatism (eco not political).

Higher gas taxes to offset losses from e-car fuel revenues, higher registration fees and a mileage tax will be how CA obtains revenue, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a separate meter on the electricity used to charge cars at home, as well as the elimination of tax free charging points.

Those going home solar will be getting energy tax bills as well.

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Lol. Parking in LA and SF is terrible. Housing density far exceeds available parking. Every single street is lined with parked cars. I regularly had to park a block or more away from my apartment when I lived with roommates.

Not sure how all these people plan on charging their cars.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
Another thing I’m sure Newsom hadn’t considered is that it’s one thing to plug your EV in at night in your garage but what about the literally millions of people who don’t have a garage (condo and apartment renters?

I can just see all the extensions cords all over the place!

Pbbbt - just make a mandate which requires all those wealthy apartment owners to get out of their 10,000 sqft homes (on a minimum of five acres) to install one charger per rental unit, at no additional cost to the renter.

If the apartment owner defaults on the apartment loan, the state will acquire the property and school us on how it's done.

Easy peasy.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder if the buffoon will follow-up with ukases mandating that the batteries of CA’s electric powered vehicles can only be charged with electricity generated only from renewable resources, or if power generated nuclear or coal or oil or nat. gas plants can be used too?!

If I were the Benevolent Ruler of this country, I would force every green weenie to purchase and consume power that was generated only from renewable / so-called ‘clean energy’. Further, they would only be permitted to work at companies or businesses that were run on such power, and they be restricted to purchasing ALL of their goods, foods and services, including their health-care, transportation and educational needs ONLY from companies that operate and function 100% from such power generation!

If they want it so bad, I’d be happy to serve them the crow that they so richly deserve!

Posts: 3476 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bonfire
posted Hide Post
We need to create wireless charging parking spots and then patent it and sell it to CA and make money off their stupidity. I like they say they want to be green but yet so they know what mining for battery components does to the earth? They don't seem to care about that. They just live in their own utopian bubble. Can't wait for that bubble to burst.

In war, truth is the first casualty. Aeschylus Greek tragic dramatist (525 BC - 456 BC)

Posts: 464 | Location: North of Seattle | Registered: March 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again.....Get out of Cal., NY or Illinois.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
You'll have electric tractor trailers... just that half the trailer will be full of batteries to make it work. So they'll just need twice as many trucks. Roll Eyes

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
You'll have electric tractor trailers... just that half the trailer will be full of batteries to make it work. So they'll just need twice as many trucks. Roll Eyes
And drivers.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
And drivers.

flashguy

But robots will do the driving. And they don't need to stop for bathroom breaks. Smile

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
Good lord, the Babylon Bee seems to be more sane than real life

https://babylonbee.com/news/st...t-run-on-electricity

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8351 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When art becomes reality: Red Barchetta by Rush.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAvQSkK8Z8U

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I haven't read through the thread so I don't know if anyone else has predicted it, but I'll tell you that I don't think there's a chance in Hell this will happen. It's just more of the same leftist pie-in-the-sky childish fantasy bullshit and posturing.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Didn't we hear Leftist buffoons promise to defund the police in no uncertain terms but when the rubber met the road they walked it back? This is what I expect will happen to the 2035 goal at a minimum. The best possible scenario is that enough Californians fatigue of Leftism and vote adults into office. lol. I know, who's kidding whom?

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Adam Carolla was talking about this on his podcast. He brought up an interesting couple of points.

1) By 2035 electric vehicle technology will be so much better and cheaper, that it could be possible.

2) Of course California doesn't have the power infrastructure to charge all these vehicles, they already have rolling blackouts/brownouts in the summer time. So unless they got a plan for building new power plants or something, nobody will be able to drive anywhere.

3) Ain't nobody gonna be living in California by then who can afford a new car anyhow, everyone is all moving away because the jackoffs in the California government keep being jackoffs. Lots of grand plans and proclamations, and no effort to actually make it happen other than "we wrote a law, so just make it happen, peasant."

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post