SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I used to be a dyed in the wool Ford guy...
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I used to be a dyed in the wool Ford guy... Login/Join 
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
I'm still a Ford guy, but much of the comments here ring true. My 2005 F-150 Lariat is approaching 190k and going strong. I'd love a new vehicle, but like has been mentioned, I can't justify the price right now. Maybe a few years down the road I'll be in the market for a Ranger (got to see several up close at the TX State Fair, though none were unlocked) and its a slick truck. Perfect for my needs. I absolutely will not buy first model year of any vehicle however.

I've lusted over a manual transmission diesel Ranger like you can get overseas for a while now but sadly it's not to be. Maybe they'll get smart and do a Ranger Raptor in a few years. Might be able to justify it what with my 15+ years between vehicle purchases. Though, more than likely I'll be looking at Expeditions for the family hauler aspect.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I have been testing the truck market lately as well. The prices for truck in my area is at a premium. I can get a Mercedes sedan for less than a new truck in my area. Still driving the 93 Ranger with the 2.3. Never have been impressed with this motor, but I smile at the gas pump. Would jump at a Tacoma or a Ridgeline, but damn they're expensive. Probably end up in a RAV 4.

Posts: 7525 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
Bought the first ford in my family since my Mom's Windstar about 30 years ago. I was always a Euro car guy - loved (and still do) small pocket rocket cars with overperforming engines in small packages (have owned VW VR6, VW 18.T-chipped, and Audi 2.0T, and still have a BMW Z4M with its fabulous 3.4L I6 screamer with an 8000 RPM redline). That said, the last purchase earlier this year was for something big, no, huge. A 2017 Ford Expedition EL, with a 3.5L twin turbo V6 - called EcoBooost by Ford, but not very economical compared to my prior cars. That said, that motor with its 365hp and 420 #-ft of torque moves that hunk of metal with authority, on 87 octane to boot! A chip will eventually increase that further. The same motor in the Raptor is tuned for a significantly greater, factory warranted horsepower.

Yeah, V8s are cool, and sound like motors that mean business even at idle. But, much like serious automatics have surpassed manual transmissions in performance (I still love my manual Z4M though), the V8 in truck configuration has been surpassed in every way by forced induction. Better manufacturing, fuel injection, and oils have made this possible. If you applied the same technologies to V8 displacements, you'd be looking at 800-1000 HP. I don't think the market - or the frames, transmissions and differentials - are ready for that...

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to like Ford's. I have never owned one but always thought of them as good cars. Then I got hired on a police department. First we drove the CVPIs and I liked driving them, but they had a lot of problems. And I didn't know it was possible to have a car be that bad in snow. Then, we got the explorers... I wouldn't take a ford if you gave it to me. Within months every car had a check engine light, they the dealership reset and blamed on the catalytic converters. They are slow, run rough, and the interiors fall apart. They just don't hold up.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trickedtrix
posted Hide Post
Do yourselves a favor and take a test drive in a new RAM. They’ve ticked all the check boxes this time around. I just replaced my 2006 Silverado with a 2019 Rebel. I havent missed the chevy once

*Handguns are fine, Shotguns are final

Posts: 1237 | Location: IL | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You will find diesel options in smaller vehicles dwindling. Almost all of the companies that have offered diesel sedans have announced that they are going the path of gas-hybrid or electric.

BMW, Mercedes, and Audi have joined the crowd. The real only diesel options in less than a good-sized truck is the Chevy Cruze and the one Jeep.

I'd been looking on and off at a used BMW 535d. Now, I'm not so sure that it would be a good investment. I found one with all the options (and colors) recently in the mid-west, but I'm not so sure now.

Posts: 2772 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I kinda hear what you are saying. I also have a 2005 F150 lariat 4x4 with only 80000 miles on her. That has been a great truck and hasn't cost me anything outside of replacing a power window motor. My big complaint is the 15 mpg.

I have been mulling over the smaller trucks such as the Colorado/Canyon and might even look at that new Ranger if it ever comes out. I saw some pictures of it and really was not all that impressed. The Colorado is a much better looking truck in my opinion. A friend has a Canyon he bought a year ago and seems to always get around 24 mpg with the V6.

I dunno, we will see.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
I have been testing the truck market lately as well. The prices for truck in my area is at a premium. I can get a Mercedes sedan for less than a new truck in my area. Still driving the 93 Ranger with the 2.3. Never have been impressed with this motor, but I smile at the gas pump. Would jump at a Tacoma or a Ridgeline, but damn they're expensive. Probably end up in a RAV 4.

Some out of state dealers have SUPER DEALS. Dave Smith motors in Idaho, another dealer in Idaho that I forgot their name, etc. I bought a 2018 Ram 2500 diesel for $12,000 off of list price at the Lithia Dealer in Grants Pass, OR.

There were some deals in Idaho that were even better, but I wanted to order one so I could pick the options I wanted and nothing else. Local dealers were a minimum of $4,000 higher that the price I paid. Someone gave me a 6 hour ride to Oregon, and I drove it back that afternoon.

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
We are not far from the day where only sports cars have v8’s. The govt mileage Rey’s are driving engines to become smaller and more efficient.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Don’t know why everybody is scratching their heads wondering where the V8s have gone in half ton chassis. Anybody remember the tightening of the CAFE screws during the Obama administration?

As for the price of some of these new trucks... they aren’t trucks. They are luxury vehicles built on a truck chassis. Seriously, stitched dashboards and seats? How’s that going to work with all the tools and crap I store on the dashboard? There are vocational models available for half the price if you actually want a truck. Otherwise, you’re paying a lot for luxury options.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
The only thing about those turbo boost motors is that they are boosted. Doesn't that put more stress on a smaller motor versus less stress on a larger motor ? A V8 that is so big that it never is really needed to be pushed, doesn't that type of motor typically last longer than a more complex boosted motor ?

I really don't get it.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8682 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From what I can see pretty much every domestic brand vehicle line tends to screw the pooch on what they build and market and tend to be a step or two behind many of the foreign brand makers all the time.
Don’t let the “foreign” or “ domestic” brands fool you in many cases some of the “ foreign” cars these days have a higher percentage of American made parts than the so called “Americans “

Posts: 3291 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Much to the shagrin of basically everybody, they put a V6 in their latest Ford GT (super car). Of course it’s twin-turbo and 650 horsepower but a V6 in a half-million dollar super car?!?!

Ford has the biggest boner over their forced-induction V6’s. Cool, Ford, coooool!

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I've probably had a dozen Ford trucks over the last several years between my company and our family. Currently have a F-350 CC SRW diesel and a 2007 Ranger XL with the 2.3 four banger. That truck has about 145K miles on it and has been bullet proof and is a great truck for banging around town etc. I would never take it on the highway for any extended trip.

I will be test driving the new Ranger in about 10 days in an off-road situation and am really looking forward to it. I agree with most of you that Ford really screwed up by trying to cram the F-150 down our throats when a smaller truck would work better and that allowed Toyota to own the segment. Now that Chevy is in the segment with an upgraded Colorado/Canyon everybody can see that the demand for a smaller truck is there and Ford, once again, is playing catch up.

FCA will also be debuting the Jeep Scrambler in a few months and that should own the off-road segment of the market since Toyota has no interest in bringing the 79 Series Land Cruiser to the US..

I'll try to post my impressions of the new Ranger in a week or two.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6317 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Ford's pricing is insane. I really wanted to replace my previous Mustang with a new one when I inherited money from my grandmother's passing back in 2013, but the $47k price tag on the non-Shelby Mustang GT I looked at really turned me off.

Just wait till fall. They will slash $7000-14,000 off the sticker price and still make money!

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1128 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
Yeah the price of new trucks and Suv's the last couple of years is insane. And now almost all of them have start/stop that you can't defeat and cylinder deactivation. Both of those features kill it for me.

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Ford made the wiring harness too short for a series of Ranger alternators. Mine was an '01 XLT. The fix was a splice.

So when my truck battery refuses to stay charged in '05, the Merced CA dealership spends six-seven hours in 'diagnostics' without finding the issue. How the heck do I know of the issue when the dealership claims they've never heard of it?

I've always liked Ford, but their emblems on the tailgate sure are getting big. Might proud, Ford is. Ford also makes it difficult to debadge.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
The only thing about those turbo boost motors is that they are boosted. Doesn't that put more stress on a smaller motor versus less stress on a larger motor ? A V8 that is so big that it never is really needed to be pushed, doesn't that type of motor typically last longer than a more complex boosted motor ?

I really don't get it.

Not when the motor is designed to handle the boost.

I have a 2016 Expedition EL with the 3.5L Ecoboost and I smile every time I drive the thing.
Only reason my Mustangs were more enjoyable to drive is because they are manuals.

Costs of vehicles across the board are becoming ridiculous because of all the added creature comforts folks are becoming a custom to.

I got the XLT poverty package. Nothing fancy. My only requirements were 4wd, backup camera, and the LSD. 3.73s with the LSD were standard on the ELs so that made the search simple. No leather, no navigation, no heated cooled/seats, blah, blah, blah. Far less things to break or go wrong.
I paid 26k for a 2 year old rig that stickered for over 50k.

I am not sure Ford execs can be fully to blame on the issues mentioned.
I think CAFE standards and required emissions control have substantially inhibited the possibilities.

As far as Ford riding themselves of cars that is not entirely true they will just be under the Lincoln badge.

quote:
I've always liked Ford, but their emblems on the tailgate sure are getting big. Might proud, Ford is. Ford also makes it difficult to debadge.

It is because that is the best/easiest spot to hide the back up camera.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25422 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wishbone:
Yeah the price of new trucks and Suv's the last couple of years is insane. And now almost all of them have start/stop that you can't defeat and cylinder deactivation. Both of those features kill it for me.

Both of my Ford vehicles, a 2017 F150 and a 2018 both have auto stop, and both have buttons to turn that feature off, as does my sons 2018 Fusion. On top of that when tow mode is selected auto shut-off is turned off.

Posts: 2551 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I think Ford’s decision to kill off most cars like the Fusion in favor of SUV’s only is a really stupid move they will grow to regret.

They claim people don’t want them, but Honda and Toyota and Mazda seem to be selling their cars at a pretty good rate!

The big 3 have decided (rightly so) they can’t compete with the Asian sedans. Between the Camry and the Fusion it’s not even a choice, Camry owns it.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
We are not far from the day where only sports cars have v8’s. The govt mileage Rey’s are driving engines to become smaller and more efficient.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Don’t know why everybody is scratching their heads wondering where the V8s have gone in half ton chassis. Anybody remember the tightening of the CAFE screws during the Obama administration?

As for the price of some of these new trucks... they aren’t trucks. They are luxury vehicles built on a truck chassis. Seriously, stitched dashboards and seats? How’s that going to work with all the tools and crap I store on the dashboard? There are vocational models available for half the price if you actually want a truck. Otherwise, you’re paying a lot for luxury options.

This is right here, what he said. CAFE standards mean tighter emissions. Those are MUCH easier hit going with forced induction, IE turbocharging. It ain’t Ford’s fault.

In a small(er) truck I’d look at the Colorado/Canyon twins with the diesel and drive the Ridgeline. If you don’t need to tow large loads the Ridgeline is the best pavement handling truck I have ever driven. It has a true torque vectoring AWD system in it. I have a friend at work who drives a F250 diesel. He went with me on a test drive. I took a U underpass so fast he said that his F250 would have flipped over. I’ll be buying a Ridgeline in the next year or so. It tows 5k lbs which is plenty for my needs.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12633 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post