SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How bad is the flu in your area?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How bad is the flu in your area? Login/Join 
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
Wife and daughter both take D3 supplement and got type A flu. I got the shot and did not.

How much do they take? The FDA only recommends 400 IU while you need to test your blood to see what your levels are.

I take 5000 IU a day and my levels are still on the low end of the recommended range.

At least 2000 a day. Wife went to ER and they did blood panel for her and everything was fine other than potassium was low and they gave her IV to get that up. She was on the verge of getting pneumonia but all better now.

I started taking 2000 D3 a day because in June 2016 my level was 25.6 and last June it went up to 42.4. Recommended minimum on my test results showed 30.0. My doctors office keeps all test results and everything else online for easy checking and goes back about 4 years.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live in NY where 2 young children have died from complications of the flu. Attendance at our school is down 30% from students and staff with flu like symptoms. I pray every body stays well.

Posts: 507 | Registered: February 14, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Apparently two influenza viruses, H3N3, and H1N1 are circulating. Both are bad for different groups.

There is also an Adenovirus in some parts of the country that is hell on wheels. My wife and I snagged that one and it was very tough. She wound up with pneumonia and we both took a course of antibiotics to get over it (Yes, I know antibiotics don't touch a virus, but they help prevent secondary infections). She's fine, I still have plugged ears.

Be careful out there!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I got the shot and Tabitha did not.

She has the flu, I do not.

Everyone at work who did not get the shot have been sick.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
It's not the Spanish Flu yet, but it's pretty bad! Eek

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Schools around here have been shutting down - the systems in the county I live and the adjacent counties are closed the rest of the week. Our county had a 28% absence rate yesterday and they were having trouble finding substitute teachers to fill in for the sick ones. They are bringing in crews to disinfect the schools while they are closed.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:

Both people in my office (so far) with confirmed swab tests had also had the flu shot.

On that sample, flu shot appears to cause the flu.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GregY:On that sample, flu shot appears to cause the flu.

BULLSHIT....

There certainly is reason to believe that this year's vaccine is a mismatch and not particularly effective, but dead virus CAN NOT give you the flu!

Uggggg!!!!!!

Posts: 8957 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:

BULLSHIT....

There certainly is reason to believe that this year's vaccine is a mismatch and not particularly effective, but dead virus CAN NOT give you the flu!

Uggggg!!!!!!

Work on your reading comprehension, including context.

Hint is that it's a poor idea to overgeneralise from very small sample sizes.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:

Works for you but both the wife and I got the shot and still got the flu. She ended up in hospital getting an I.V. I'm on day six, feel better but cough and running nose still there.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2409 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GregY:
Work on your reading comprehension, including context.

Hint is that it's a poor idea to overgeneralise from very small sample sizes.

My reading comprehension is just fine. There is no indication of sarcasm in your post. If that was your intent, I apologize. I just get really tired of people thinking flu vaccine gave them the flu.

Posts: 8957 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:

BULLSHIT....

Uggggg!!!!!!

Agreed. Wife was diagnosed with type A flu and then daughter got it. I got the shot and never got it even with her coughing on my all night long!

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
suffering through it now. Day 6

day 13 finally feeling better. I have a little cough left. My wife has had it since friday. Tripple sinus rinses daily, over a gallon of water daily.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
A classmate of mine from West Point died this week from the flu

He was still very active and athletic...former Army football player, did things like tough mudder runs, etc

Leaves behind 2 young kids and a wife

He was in his early 40s

We get the cdc info for pediatrics (because I own a pediatric practice). The majority of pediatric flu deaths are in unvaccinated children

The vaccine is not preventing a lot of flue, but is mitigating it

Anecdotal evidence is also bearing this out. On Monday at my office, across 3 providers, we had 71 sick visits. Almost all the really really sick kids did not get vaccinated

I know a lot of people on this board don’t believe in the vaccination. That’s fine. But if you are the caregiver of someone who is immunocompromised (young or old, or otherwise) please rethink it for them

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Getting over both Step Throat and the Flu. Got Strep 1/26, got on Augmentin and had to keep working (good luck getting time off right now if you work in a hospital). Picked up the Flu a few days later, and somehow managed to get two days off (couldn’t walk down the hall without having to sit down).

It seems about half of our hospital physicians/staff are sick right now (strep, flu, pneumonia, etc), and have to keep chugging along.

Posts: 435 | Location: Utah | Registered: March 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:

I know a lot of people on this board don’t believe in the vaccination. That’s fine. But if you are the caregiver of someone who is immunocompromised (young or old, or otherwise) please rethink it for them

I've never had the flu shot and likely never will.

However, when the time came that my daughter was old enough to get the shot, we got it for her.

After the age of three though, I'm not sure if she'll still get the shot. We'll see.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Balzé Halzé,

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Apparently two influenza viruses, H3N3, and H1N1 are circulating. Both are bad for different groups.

There is also an Adenovirus in some parts of the country that is hell on wheels. My wife and I snagged that one and it was very tough. She wound up with pneumonia and we both took a course of antibiotics to get over it (Yes, I know antibiotics don't touch a virus, but they help prevent secondary infections). She's fine, I still have plugged ears.

Be careful out there!

RMD

I heard on the news this morning that it’s possible to get both types of flu at the same time. Not surprising, but I just hadn’t considered that possibility before. That would suck for sure. I wonder how survivable it would be for the average person?

Posts: 3954 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Two co-workers got it, and I have heard reports of some local schools closing for the rest of the week because of it.

Posts: 27963 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
A classmate of mine from West Point died this week from the flu

He was still very active and athletic...former Army football player, did things like tough mudder runs, etc

Leaves behind 2 young kids and a wife

He was in his early 40s

We get the cdc info for pediatrics (because I own a pediatric practice). The majority of pediatric flu deaths are in unvaccinated children

The vaccine is not preventing a lot of flue, but is mitigating it

Anecdotal evidence is also bearing this out. On Monday at my office, across 3 providers, we had 71 sick visits. Almost all the really really sick kids did not get vaccinated

How do you come by the information you collected on Monday? Did you poll the parents? I think that would be an awkward question, almost designed to put them on guard. I’d think they feel bad enough that their child was sick without their Dr office asking them if they had vaccinated for something that indicated 10% efficacy?
Not judging you or your office, just wondering how you collected your information.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did you poll the parents? I think that would be an awkward question, almost designed to put them on guard. I’d think they feel bad enough that their child was sick without their Dr office asking them if they had vaccinated for something that indicated 10% efficacy?

I think that would be a perfectly reasonable question to ask somebody who had come into a doctors office with a child that may have the flu.

You're not feeling well. You think it's the flu? Did you have the shot? Seems pertinent to me.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15718 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post