SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Insanity in Public Schools - Who is really in charge?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Insanity in Public Schools - Who is really in charge? Login/Join 
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
I remember chemistry class in 6th grade. They brought out the nitric acid to play with. If you got any on your skin it'd burn like hell and you had to run it under water for 10 minutes.
Everyone sooner or later ended up with something under the faucet and nobody had mommy start trouble over it.
Hey, learnin can be dangerous work!

In my Public High school, we had Print shop, Machine shop, Carpenter shop and Electric shop.

I took Electric Shop and learned very quickly to respect electricity.

Funny, I learned the same lesson in my welding class. Wink

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
I have been reading about a mass exodus to this type of program from public education lately which was why I clumsily asked if anyone still went there.

The answer is Yes... 90%. That's not exactly a mass exodus.
However, I applaud you for your efforts with your own kids.

Thank you.

Enrollment numbers for home schooling is tricky.
The school district still tries to make you register at your local public school so that your kid will be eligible for the yearly state testing. I've heard from several members of their staff that my kid will then be counted as a student there so the school doesn't loose funding.
So how they are figuring out how many kids go where is a mystery to me.

This.

The various parent school partnerships is a method by which districts can provide services (transcript recording, offering enrichment classes in art or music as examples) to home and private schooled students and thus be able to count these students as enrolled at least part time as a public school student; collecting at least a portion of the states FTE (full time equivalent) dollars. So, as chellim1 stated the numbers are tricky to calculate; especially since the state is providing the numbers.

Silent

Posts: 1026 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I agree completely that the public school vs private vs home schooling setup is crap.

Especially when most private schools around here require you to swear faith to invisible things and give blood of your first born and have never missed a Sunday of going to church, all to pay a nearly college sized tuition for grade school and get another form of indoctrination.

Home schooling is valid for some, but you have to be equally careful to avoid the socially ignorant child syndrome that plagues home schooled kids I've seen / met - the kids who have a hard time dealing and working with kids they don't know very well and operating outside of the comfort of their home surroundings.

But I know some people think that public schools have kids doing the liberal nazi salute and pledging to rat out their parents. Of course those people have stock in tin foil companies, me thinks.

Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post