SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So, here's my problem....
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So, here's my problem.... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
<snip>
Neva, is senza called senza nome in Forum ?

... yes.

Posts: 2541 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Thank you. You good folks were of the many who helped me a while back. Now I wish I was in better shape as I wont ever forget you. Neva should be able to recover from the knee operation as many have. Let us know how the threshold obstical gets fixed please.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
Is the door exposed to driving rain? Or does it lead to an enclosed porch?

This is an important question, as it's relevant to if you can lower the threshold (after removing the temp cover that's on there but doesn't need to be, as pointed out by Mikito). I would much rather lower the obstacle than add ramps, if I could. Even if you do ultimately need to add a ramp or ramps, better they be as low at the peak as possible.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have nothing to offer other than we care deeply about you, my friend. The others will no doubt solve your problem, but you need to know you have our emotional support.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Professor Smack-Down
Picture of Protein anchor
posted Hide Post
I can't add anything to what has been said, but I can help pay for the work. Say the word.

----------------------------
Tony

Guns in my collection:

Awaiting next purchase

Posts: 4107 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: October 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I'm in for some funds as well, if you were closer I could help install.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I wish so bad that I were closer. This would be a piece of cake to do for you. If funds are an issue, I'm in to help!

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Suppose I get strips of 1/4 plywood 36"(long) by 4", 8", 12", 16", 20" and 24" wide. Begin by putting the 24" next to the threshold. On top of that the 20" ... and so forth until on the very top the 4". We have a set of stairs (1 .25 inches high) - which will be bumpy. So we take the handy dandy power drill with a sanding pad and make a smooth ramp where the wheels will be going. This takes care of one side.

Repeat as needed on the other side - here we won't need as many steps.

Then use metal sheeting to join the ramps.

Posts: 2541 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
If you use metal sheet to join the ramps, I'll also suggest some grip tape to prevent slipping when wet...

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Protein anchor:
I can't add anything to what has been said, but I can help pay for the work. Say the word.

quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
I'm in for some funds as well, if you were closer I could help install.

quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
I wish so bad that I were closer. This would be a piece of cake to do for you. If funds are an issue, I'm in to help!

Funds aren't an issue. Just bought a Hitachi 12 In Sliding Compound Miter Saw and was thinking of cutting ramps into a 2 by 10. But while an opened door will close over a 2 by 10, it won't open over the 2 by 10. This means the board would have to be put in place any time Neva wants to go out. While workable it's hardly optimal.

posted Hide Post
quote:
If you use metal sheet to join the ramps, I'll also suggest some grip tape to prevent slipping when wet...

Door is well covered so the exterior ramp won't get wet.

posted Hide Post
Neva,

Years ago we were in a similar situations with my grandmother. Her situation was temporary, so our ramp was more makeshift and not very pretty.

We used a piece of hardwood plywood that was cut to the width of the door and went out about 3-4 feet on each side of the door frame. Our first attempt was only a foot or so from the door and it was still too steep for her.

We couldn't put the wood right on the lip, so we took some 2x4 and drilled it into the plywood on the door sides. We also bought some thin rubbery stuff that was in sheets and had 3M adhesive on one side. Got it at Home Depot and this kept it from sliding. Not sure what it was really meant for, maybe furniture? It worked great to keep it in place and didn't leave any permanent markings.

We didn't do this, but you could stain/paint it for a nicer look. Our key to success was making the ramp longer. Even though it was only 2", we needed several feet to make it easy for my grandmother.

Hope this helps!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hunter62,

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
On the interior side, a simple and sturdy ramp could be anchored in place by just a couple deck screws, bugle heads and they wont leave barely a visible hole in the hard wood floor.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Other posts are better at actually helping. I just want to chime in that I sympathize with you as I've been having knee pains going down stairs.

I wish you the best and hope you recover soon and that you overcome all the obstacles in your way.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by senza nome:
Suppose I get strips of 1/4 plywood 36"(long) by 4", 8", 12", 16", 20" and 24" wide. Begin by putting the 24" next to the threshold. On top of that the 20" ... and so forth until on the very top the 4". We have a set of stairs (1 .25 inches high) - which will be bumpy. So we take the handy dandy power drill with a sanding pad and make a smooth ramp where the wheels will be going. This takes care of one side.

Repeat as needed on the other side - here we won't need as many steps.

Then use metal sheeting to join the ramps.

I think you're on a roll with a good idea. I second the grip tape...cheap and easy...and should actually help make it easier to roll across.

I did find these threshold ramps in a google search made specifically for this purpose.

Link (1800wheelchair.com)

This one would work on the outside, it can be screwed into place semi-permanently.

Perhaps one of the rubber one for the inside.

I found this one on Amazon.:

I hope this helps.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lechiffre
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Neva:
quote:
Originally posted by Crom:
Is your husband handy with tools, and thermodynamics ?

Really? Some old lady, a forum member, comes to the forum for help with a really pretty god-awful life situation and this is it?

Dude.....

I have been suffering from the same problem

I found the picture funny

I need one of those things

Posts: 622 | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
you could have the bottom threshold cut completely out and have a door sweep seal the door off, the other option wood ramp cut , I would call a small cabinet shop in your area and see if they can make you a board. maybe a thicker rubber matt the you could lay over the whole threshold area ??

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
I've had to use (been in a wheelchair), and build/modify these (ramps).

The one thing I noticed is, if you leave the existing threshold, you are going to need both the inside and outside ramp to come up to the level of that lip (see image below). Trying to get over the short side of that lip will be a PITA, and a hazard (you could flip your chair going over it.) You don't want a ramp with a slope greater than 10˚- 15˚ so it will be easy to get up and down (a gentle slope).

Also, you want to anchor both ramps into the flooring (screw them down) so they don't slip or move. If they slip out from underneath you, it could tip your chair over. Also, if they are anchored then they can't get moved away from the door to the point where you yourself might need to move them to get in or out (think about if the outside ramp got moved away from the door to a distance where you couldn't reach it in your wheelchair.)

For an 1.5" rise at a 10˚ angle, the ramp would have to extend 8.5" from the edge of the threshold. For a 1.75" rise, it would have to extend 10" from the threshold.

I hope this helps.

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

+1 Just want to help a friend. Looks like some good ideas and resources. Hopefully you'll be out in the fresh air and sun shortly.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13400 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Neva,

I am sorry to hear this. I perform nerve blocks nearly everyday. This is unfortunately a know complication you anesthesiologist should have gone over. Very rare. I hope he used an ultrasound.

These can be temporary as in weeks to months or sadly permanent. Probably should see neurologist for an EMG . Again I hope you fully recover. If you have any questions I can assist you with please email me.

Carlos

Posts: 1744 | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post