SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So, here's my problem....
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So, here's my problem.... Login/Join 
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
My mother was in a wheelchair for a period of time, and we (like you) were unsure if she would ever walk again. She's back up and at it now, at 81, and doing great. Don't give up hope, sometimes the doctors don't know nearly what they think they know.

We had the same issue (entry/exit threshold) with my mother, and she weighed around 200lbs at the time. We found a local carpenter who fabricated a purpose built "wedge" for each side of the threshold, to make her entry and exit easier. Because they only came up to the same height as the threshold, they didn't interfere with the normal opening and closing of the door. He made the slope of the ramp come out around 16-18" on each side, which decreased the resistance and allows you to get a "head start" on your ingress/egress.

I hope something like this can be done for you, might be worth at least checking out. Good luck.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear- Here's something getting close for the inside 2" x 34". How wide is the wheel chair wheels?

http://www.1800wheelchair.com/...ory/threshold-ramps/

https://www.amazon.com/34-Alum...2298974&sr=1-15&th=1

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Censored
posted Hide Post
I am a fellow Kentuckian (Louisville) and would be willing to pitch in on a work party. Due to my travel schedule I may have some challenges to overcome. What part of Kentucky do you live in?

Posts: 2223 | Location: United States | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
Neva, I just googled "door thresholds for wheelchair access" and there are a lot of different options out there.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not your average
kind of girl
Picture of P226RN
posted Hide Post
Neva, Just wanted you to know I am wishing you well from afar....I cannot imagine how frustrating and devastating it must be for you.

shot ya an email Wink

If it won't matter in 5 years don't give it more than 5 minutes.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Bye Bye Maryland! Hello WV! | Registered: May 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
re: a ramp by ripping a couple of 2x4s from the height I needed down to 0.

I then screwed down a piece of 3/4 in. plywood to the 2x4s. I used the extra 2x4 as rails to stope hime from going off sideways.It lasted for many years."

Years ago my grandfather had similar solution to his own threshold issue. There was an active carpender/handiman in the neighborhood that volunteered.

Given the right little wedge-angle solution is pretty easy considering how hard it is without.

Best wishes on your recovery.

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
I am for all intents and purposes a beer man.

An interem solution I find very helpful. Use a 1x4 36" wide on the inside and a 2x6 ( or 1x which ever is about half the height needed) on the outside. It's surprising how much difference it makes. Might want to put something to keep it from slipping, usually not a problem I find but I'm not doing chairs? I usually just grab a scrap of pallet.

Hope this helps.

Edited to add, now that I see a photo my idea is likely poor. Your floor will be totaled, and the outside isn't what I'd expected.

Having said that. If you remove that metal plate it'll help. You might find it hard on the seal but that will give as you roll over it helping the transition.

Take that plate to a sheet metal fab place with a rough drawing of what you need / want, take the photo. Get a ramp built to spec out of Stainless steel. Buy some skateboard tape so you don't slip on it, it'll get slippery.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5151 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Neva:
Threshold height. Especially on the inside, which is several inches.

I had a knee replacement and the nerve block has never worn off - and was supposed to wear off within a day. So I went in for a knee replacement on the 22nd of March and I cannot walk or lift my leg, or control any part of the leg. Among other things.....

This whole totally dependent thing is pretty new for me. Sorry I went right for the jugular, Crom.

Sorry to hear you're having recovery issues.

I assume you are in touch with your docs on this. Not a medical professional, but that does not sound right.

Here's hoping the docs can re-engage. Second, third opinions maybe?

Meantime, here's the embeds of the linked threshhold photos.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: joel9507,

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know if you realize it but that is a temp. construction cover over the threshold. it should have been removed after installation or construction was finished. Doesn't really help with your problem though.

Posts: 512 | Location: Pearland, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
I think Braille driver is on the right track with the suggestions h e has made, especially if you don't have someone handy with carpentry skills. I hope that everything works out well for you. Keeping you in my thoughts.

Posts: 12181 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you think your husband can pull you out backward? Doing it this way, the large rear wheel will ride up over the obstacle without as much effort and no lifting.

This could be an interem solution prior to getting ramps.

Sgt. USMC 1970 - 1973

Posts: 411 | Location: Columbiana, Ohio  | Registered: May 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikito:
I don't know if you realize it but that is a temp. construction cover over the threshold. it should have been removed after installation or construction was finished. Doesn't really help with your problem though.

I noticed that too, though I wasn't aware such a thing existed; I could tell the "real" threshold was visible at the edge. If the temp cover can be removed, that might help matters right off the bat. Also, it looks like there's maybe a wooden strip at the highest part that could be replaced with a lower one.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:
I'd like to see this not be a problem for you. If anyone organizes a work party to fix this, please contact me. I'd like to help with material costs.

Count me in as well for costs to get this done.

Has to be capable members in Kentucky or near you.

A long transition on both sides to make it easier for you to move yourself over, as well as senza when he pushes you.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43885 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
You need a threshold ramp.

They come in varying sizes or you can have one made out of wood. Google threshold Ramos and you can see the options available.

Here is one for example.

Threshold ramp

Discountramps.com

It's better to go this route than replacing the threshold as your situation is temporary.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5753 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Search "rubber threshold ramps", lots of options.

Neva, sorry to hear about your situation.

My mother, and sister are in wheelchairs, probably for the rest of their lives. My dad has installed the aforementioned rubber threshold ramps anywhere they have difficulty accessing, and now they are no longer home bound. They are also in powered wheelchairs, so can get a run, or a little bit if power down on the mats to push over.

For taller access, my dad has built ramps.

Good luck to you both, and if I can help more (pictures or what not), please don't hesitate to ask.

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4930 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Is the door exposed to driving rain? Or does it lead to an enclosed porch?

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Neva:
I had a knee replacement and the nerve block has never worn off - and was supposed to wear off within a day. So I went in for a knee replacement on the 22nd of March and I cannot walk or lift my leg, or control any part of the leg. Among other things.....

Sorry to hear of your problems Neva.

I put in several of those same blocks each week and (knock of wood) I've yet to have one go bad (but I use ultrasound so I know where my needle is). Hopefully I never do. But...it is a known risk of that procedure. Not that that makes you feel any better I'm sure. The good news is most of those that go bad like your's come back over time. I assume you have spoken to your surgeon and anesthesia provider about your outcome and they've offered advice and opinions for you. I hope things come out OK for you.

As far as the threshold issue, my brother was in a wheelchair for thirty years, and we dealt with these issues a lot wherever he lived. Others have offered good advice regarding small secured ramps and I would echo that. The other option would be to contact a contractor and see if they could lower that threshold for you to make it easier and safer. Certainly costlier, but it may be better in the long run.

Posts: 20106 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
All good ideas here for a ramp. Really pretty basic to build one and, affordable. Wish I wasnt in such a pickle here of my own as I'm in northern Kentucky. Neva, is senza called senza nome in Forum ?

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Neva if you are anywhere near Louisville or Oldham county my dad can build anything just let me know. He's getting up there in years but that kind of stuff is right up his alley.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only thing I would add is a suggestion: a long shallow ramp is easier to manage than a short steep one. A version of that's already been suggested. If that's not practical, I'd go with two small ramps rather than one large ramp. I'd put a 3' x 3' sheet of 3/4" plywood down inside the door, with a small ramp up onto it, then another pair of ramps at the threshold itself. If the rise is high enough, I'd layer the plywood - whatever thicknesses work best - to get the platform as close to the threshold height as possible. The thickest sheet should be on top, for stiffness.

You should be able to find a scrap of vinyl flooring to mimic your existing flooring, to camouflage the "platform".

Much as I hate to put holes in the floor, I'd certainly do that here and screw down the "platform" for two reasons: 1) If it can slide, it becomes a hazard, and 2) If it can wiggle even a little, it'll scratch the flooring. Four small holes are easier to patch and hide than lots of scratches. I'm confident that you'll be out of the chair and the platform will be gone, and I wouldn't want the scratches there to remind you of this frustrating time.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2070 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post