SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Unfortunate History of the AMC Pacer - Documentary Film
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Unfortunate History of the AMC Pacer - Documentary Film Login/Join 
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted

Had a number of cars in this documentary

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
The Roving Terrarium Razz

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8886 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's the Mirthmobile.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the funniest car reviews I ever read said the Pacer looks like the box the Pinto came in.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
My babysitter drove this. She was the ultimate 70s girl and I made fun of her car.

That said I did ride in a pinto for most of high school...

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
I spent some time cruising in an AMC Pacer in the early 80's.
A guy I worked with at a factory bought one as a daily driver. Well, he bought it after realizing that he needed something more practical that his other car. He had rebuilt a 70-1/2? Camaro (the one with the split front bumper), and had put in a built big block engine with a 4sp. manual. After a couple months, he decided he needed something that could get better than 6-7 mpg (on a good day).
He came across a Pacer for about $300 or so, & bought it. Silver with red trim. It was in decent shape, and rode OK. And it got respectable gas mileage. He thought it was cool to change between the Camaro & Pacer.
I think a pair of my small vise grips may still be in the passenger door...they were a suitable replacement for the missing window crank.

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dated a chick who drove the bastard step child of the Pacer. A Gremlin.
Yellow. With a red interior.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16089 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Think the Gremlin was the progenitor of the Pacer.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
They must have been drunk when they came up with Pacer. Had a Gremlin. Great running car. But the worst (scariest) car I ever drove in bad snow conditions.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Very interesting documentary, thanks for posting.
My buddy has an AMX "ballsy" was the best way to describe it. It was very fast, but there were many cars at that time that were faster.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8354 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Had some relatives with the Chevette. I recall quite a few issues with them as well. I guess these were the first SUVs

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Very interesting documentary, thanks for posting.

I enjoyed the video.
I was never a fan of the AMC Pacer but the video reminds me of the era of my first car, a 1974 Ford Mustang, 4-speed manual tranny.
Looking back on the AMC Pacer it's apparent that AMC should have stuck to their Jeep brand which was a winner. I really wanted a Jeep in high school and college. The 80-86 CJ7s were awesome.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I had a pacer, bought new white with beige interior. Wish I still had it!

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Someone at AMC tried to make a Matadore compact, and moved a decimal the wrong way.

I always wanted to get one and paint it like a turtle.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
The pacer was a Pinto wantabee. Smile

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
They were originally supposed to source a rotary (Wankel) engine from GM, but that deal fell through, so they had this car with no engine to put in it. The only one they had with enough power was the 232 straight six. A good engine for the time (the basis for the bulletproof Jeep 4.0), but it was so long that the rearmost two or three cylinders were under the dashboard.

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

I always wanted to get one and paint it like a turtle.

How about flames?

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
My brother had a gremlin. Not too bad of a car.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
On Gremlins already equipped with a V8 (cross members are different for the six and V8, IIRC), you can put any of the AMC V8s in it, up to the 401, and have a "sleeper" car. They have a hard time actually getting traction unless you weight the rear end, but can really smoke the tires.

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
For a time I owned an AMC made 88 Jeep Wagoneer Limited (Think Cherokee with wood panel stickers and 4 headlights) like this one-

mine was brown. The 4.0 straight six was the child of the earlier 4.2L and a reliable plant. It was such a good design that Chrysler only made a few changes and it survived to the end of the XJ(2001) and WJ(2005) lines. The biggest issue with it was the Renix fuel injection system. Loved that vehicle.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15576 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post