SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    choose your grade at UGA course // UPDATE: UGA says to remove the "stress reduction policy"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

choose your grade at UGA course // UPDATE: UGA says to remove the "stress reduction policy" Login/Join 
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Sounds to me like a college that should be removed from the list of institutions approved to hire from.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I want an A++++++++ with bonus points for doing half of the homework assignment.

The professor has now made the class worthless. If students don't have to learn and test on the material, then why attend? Why care?

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
Nothing new.
Come on. Yes, it is new. It's symptomatic of the insanity going on on college campuses in this country, so don't try to trivialize this by comparing it to colleges a half century ago. Colleges back then were NOTHING like they are today.

hell, college wasn't like this a decade ago when I (briefly) went.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Nothing is as it was a decade ago. And most of the changes are not improvements.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
as several noted, the "stress policy" is no longer at the link.

you will see:

"MIST4550/6550
Energy Informatics

Revised
August 8, 2017"

Today's revision removed the "stress policy".

This has been getting a lot of internet attention.

from a web cache:

https://www.gineersnow.com/stu...udents-choose-grades

Posts: 19574 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Jesus Harold Christ on a rubber crutch. Roll Eyes
I always wondered what the 'H' stood for.

Nobody is certain. Most point to the Greek 3 letter abbreviation for Christ that has a H in the center.
Mark Twain is often associated with the "H." His 1910 autobiology states it dates from 1850 and was considered old then. The most challenging moment n story is that Twain was working as a printer. Time was short so "Jesus Christ" becam "JC." The ditto caught it. Told to never shorted Christ name and redo it. Irked Twain added the "H."
My favorite is that Twain had set "Jesus Christ" and the editor demanded that the full name of pmrntioned in the paper be used. Twain then added the "H."

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/Jesus_H._Christ
http://boards.straightdope.com...dex.php/t-99448.html

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Insanity. And its insanity you get to experience only after you pay for it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16089 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A Participation A for everyone.
If this whole thing distresses me what then?

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
rwatson@terry.uga.edu

I just emailed that leftist fool, although he may not get it. Depends upon how tolerant that email filter is of profanity.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
How many points does a 3-pt basket count for?

UGA: The Cesspool of the South

I remember that little incident.

*giggle*

Go Jackets.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Jesus Harold Christ on a rubber crutch. Roll Eyes
I always wondered what the 'H' stood for.

Nobody is certain. Most point to the Greek 3 letter abbreviation for Christ that has a H in the center.
Mark Twain is often associated with the "H." His 1910 autobiology states it dates from 1850 and was considered old then. The most challenging moment n story is that Twain was working as a printer. Time was short so "Jesus Christ" becam "JC." The ditto caught it. Told to never shorted Christ name and redo it. Irked Twain added the "H."
My favorite is that Twain had set "Jesus Christ" and the editor demanded that the full name of pmrntioned in the paper be used. Twain then added the "H."

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/Jesus_H._Christ
http://boards.straightdope.com...dex.php/t-99448.html

I thought it stood for 'Hallmark', because He cared enough to send the very best.

Posts: 6391 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Designed for the UGa athletes?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Was this a prank? I clicked on the link provided and didn't find anything about "stress reduction" and self-grading. Maybe the course description was hacked and has since been removed?

Edit: nevermind, I just saw the updates posted above.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
http://onlineathens.com/local-...nts-grade-themselves

UGA says no to prof’s plan to let students grade themselves

University of Georgia students hoping to grade themselves in a business course won’t get to do so after all.

University officials forced the professor of the class to remove his “stress reduction policy” from his web page.

Rick Watson, the Terry College of Business’ J. Rex Fuqua Distinguished Chair for Internet Strategy, promised in the policy that students could grade themselves if they found tests or other aspects of the fall semester courses unduly stressful. Students also could also drop out of group work if they found that too stressful.

The policy was widely ridiculed as it exploded across social media and news sites Monday after reporter Andrew Gockowski featured it in an article on the Campus Reform website.

Articles appeared under headlines such as “University of Georgia Allows Students to Choose Their Own Grades” and “College Appeases Entitled Students with ‘Stress Policy’ Regarding Grades.” The stories also attracted ridicule from online commenters.

Watson’s policy also told students that all tests and exams would be open book and open notes, including material they could find on laptop computers, and that all exams will be designed to be completed in half the allotted time for most students.

In addition, tests and exams would be “designed to allow low level mastery of the course material,” according to the policy.

But it’s not going to happen, according to the dean of UGA’s Terry College of Business.

“Rest assured that this ill-advised proposal will not be implemented in any Terry classroom,” wrote Dean Benjamin Ayers.

Here is the full text of Ayers’ statement, released by the university Tuesday.

“A recent online report published a syllabus that a Terry College of Business professor had placed on his website. The syllabus stated that his grading policy would allow students inappropriate input into the assignment of their own grades. I want you to know that the syllabus did not conform with the University’s rigorous expectations and policy regarding academic standards for grading. I have explained this discrepancy to the professor, and he has removed the statement from his syllabus. Rest assured that this ill-advised proposal will not be implemented in any Terry classroom.”

Watson has taught at UGA since 1989 and is recognized as a leading scholar in database management, information systems and environmentally sustainable development.

He also started the Global Text Project, which gives students, especially in developing countries, access to dozens of open source free textbooks.

Posts: 19574 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
The University of Georgia is a very good institution. While I'm sure it suffers from a fair share of liberal lunacy, I did not expect Mr. Watson's policy to be sanctioned by the University. Yesterday I personally made a phone call to SACS, the regional accrediting organization, to make sure that they were aware of this nonsense. I am happy to see the response from Dean of the College of Business.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Obviously, Mr Kingsfield wouldn't be suitable in the environment today.

Mr Hart Here's a Dime.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Yes, the policy will still happen, no matter what the dean says. All this idiot needed to do is not publish the policy, but announce it verbally on the first day of class. He still has the power to give out the grades.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Yes, the policy will still happen, no matter what the dean says.
And of course, you know this to an absolute certainty, because you know the dean of this school so well. You know him so well that you know he is not the kind of man to ensure that his directives are complied with. No administrator would possibly follow up on such a thing, right? I mean, it's not like the dean's mailbox blew up and he had to disconnect his phone for the day. He's not concerned about other school administrators at other schools who have become sacrificial lambs in the wake of nonsense such as this.

Sleeps like a baby, he does. Right?

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRMATT:
"Low level" mastery? How do you master anything at a low level?

Party continuously, skip lectures and copy your friend's problem sets.

Posts: 15029 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
My wife Profs and now they have to tap dance around students such that your job depends upon feedback by students. Students can now complain about their grades all the way up the Univ. chain of command.

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post