SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Porridge is as effective as statins
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Porridge is as effective as statins Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Porridge is as effective as statins

but sans side effects. Smile

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rosahane:
... my porridge recipe which is flavoured with a little whiskey, honey and served with cream Smile

Now THAT'S a variation I need to try!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16214 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
May sound nasty, but once you become accustomed to it, they're pretty good: take about 1.5 cups steel cut oats, pour 1% milk over them and a squeeze of honey, drop in a couple blueberries, and into the fridge before bedtime. Next am, they're softened and taste sweet, and filling. Good stuff.

You know I've been meaning to try this approach now for a couple years I simply put it off or forget in favor of the stove top 30 minute prep routine. A net search shows this is a popular way of making steel cut oats.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16214 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder what the effect would be with both. Would it drop even further, or is there a floor that is not easy to break?

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Six Days on the Road
Picture of vandrv
posted Hide Post
I eat steel cut oats most every day. I make a large batch in my rice cooker and just nuke it each morning. I don't really care for it with fruit, so I generally add scallions and some hot sauce to mine. Some days I will fry an egg and add that as well.

Posts: 759 | Location: The Boulevard of Broken Dreams | Registered: June 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vandrv:
...so I generally add scallions and some hot sauce to mine...

Damn man, oatmeal and scallions?...Oatmeal and hot sauce?

That's odd enough I may have to try it!

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
I eat a lot of oatmeal.

Regarding statins, I had a major reaction to simvastatin about 10 days ago, and am still recovering from it.

According to research done by my daughter, statins also tend to drive your blood sugar up.

Just freaking great since I am diabetic and taking glypicide (sp?)

Be very careful with statins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Could not figure out why my knees were always so damned tender/sore. Turns out about 2 days after I quit the statin my knees quit hurting, too.

Doctors are great at prescribing meds, then more meds to offset the results from the first, then more to offset the second round, etc.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I do Irish steel cut oats or oats from Whole Foods most days.

Maple Cream. A dollop of Maple Cream makes it perfect.

I am out of said maple cream at the moment...so a substantial drop of honey from my parents' farm has to do. And by drop I mean an easy tablespoon Wink

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Quaker Instant for breakfast. Every. Single. Day.

I tried the sooper dooper steel cut designer oatmeal, didn't care for it and definitely didn't like the fuss factor in preparing it.

Open package, dump in bowl, pour in hot water, eat. That's about as complex as I care to get in the morning.

We just put the raw oatmeal in a bowl, add water, pop into the microwave for a couple of minutes, add milk or half and half and eat. We also often add "craisins" to it as well.

No sugar or sugar substitute.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Porridge is as effective as statins

but sans side effects. Smile

Yeah. If you eat too much oatmeal, especially with honey, there are side effects – they broaden. Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8952 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went the opposite direction. Dr wanted me on statins, told him to pound sand. Switched to a low carb diet (bacon and eggs for bfast, yay!) and dropped my chol 22%, so take that oats and your measly 7%. Big Grin

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I'd been on a statin and blood pressure pill for over 10 years. I had other issues as well, in fact I should post a "We can turn our health around if we want to" thread sometime.

Anyway after learning about steel cut oats here in one of Para's threads I gave it a try and damn if I didn't like it!

So for the last 5 or 6 years 1/2 cup of steel cut oats has been my breakfast at least 6 days a week. Usually I add a small handful of raisons and 50% reduced sugar dried cranberries in the water with the oats. After cooked I add just a little (1/2 teaspoon) maple syrup along with maybe 1/2 cup 1% milk. This along with a small bowl of yogurt and I'm good for all day.

I'm now off both drugs.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
...(bacon and eggs for bfast, yay!) and dropped my chol 22%, so take that oats and your measly 7%. Big Grin

I've been eating bacon and eggs for breakfast for several months now. 4-5 pieces of bacon, two eggs over easy fried on lard, and a slice of toasted homemade bread with butter. My numbers are on their way south as well.

While I haven't ever been too high LDL wise, my cardiologist (I've had occasional bouts with Afib), suggested meds might be in my future. I told her "watch this". We looked up my latest results just yesterday and all she could do was shake her head.

If something calls for olive oil I'll use that. Otherwise, all I cook with is lard and butter. You can have your canola and margarine. That shit will kill you.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
I went the opposite direction. Dr wanted me on statins, told him to pound sand. Switched to a low carb diet (bacon and eggs for bfast, yay!) and dropped my chol 22%, so take that oats and your measly 7%. Big Grin

I did the same thing. I lost 26 lbs. I ate oatmeal every morning for the last 7-8 years. Gave it up as well as any "fruit juice". Now I have three eggs with low carb sprouted bread. The oatmeal had too many carbs.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
"This beta glucan is too cold.

This beta glucan is too hot.

This beta glucan is just right."

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the wide variation in success/failure with low carb vs low fat, aerobic vs weights, etc just shows that there is no one correct answer despite our desires to find it. Some of us are going to die with clogged arteries no matter what we do and other are going to develop awful cancers despite never smoking. All men die.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had steel cut oats with some Georgia pecans thrown in and a bit of Maple cream. Outstanding. Maybe I should add some bacon.

Posts: 1754 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
What's up with the polo over the long sleeve turtle neck?

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
I think the wide variation in success/failure with low carb vs low fat, aerobic vs weights, etc just shows that there is no one correct answer despite our desires to find it. Some of us are going to die with clogged arteries no matter what we do and other are going to develop awful cancers despite never smoking. All men die.

I agree there is no 1 correct answer. Heck, even if technically there was, the body is constantly adapting so you have to switch things up anyway. I disagree with the sentiment that it doesn't matter because there is no predictability in this stuff.

Biology and physiology is what it is. The variation are the people doing whatever "it" is. I have found that people seem to talk a good game about how the tried "x" and it didn't work, but question them further and it becomes obvious why their half-hearted attempt didn't work. This is why DRs. hardly even bother with diet and prevention advice, they just prescribe all kinds of meds assuming people will not change their habits. My mother is a lifetime nurse, she tells her diabetic patients to think of sugar as rat poison, doesn't matter they eat whatever they want anyway and take the meds (and lose the feets).

Low carb or low fat can work. The diet needs to be based on healthy whole foods. Study after study has shown low carb to be superior to the low fat approach in regards to cholesterol and anecdotally, I find low carb to be way easier as fat is caloricaly dense so I'm never hungry the way I am on a low fat diet.

As far as fitness goes, the first step most people never take is to clearly define their goals and the attributes of fitness they want to focus on (limit strength, strength-endurance, strength to weight ratio, anaerobic, aerobic, flexibility etc.) At 43, I'm fitter than 75% of the usually much younger infantry soldiers and NCOs I work with (and this was true when I was on active duty as well as deployed, it was a little embarrassing to be smoking the 10th Mountain Div. 18yos up the mountains of Afghanistan as a Guard officer...), but I only workout typically 30 mins 3x per week. Sometimes less (much).

My workouts are very efficient and I know what attribute is being improved. All modalities (steady state cardio, anaerobic/HIIT, resistance-weights or body weight) have a place.

Today I'm going to do 5 mins of Turkish Get-Ups and then 12 mins of 2 hand swings alternated with jogging, with a #52 kettlebell. It will work total body strength and coordination, strength endurance of the posterior chain and grip, and anaerobic conditioning (which has an aerobic carryover, but not vice-versa) in only 17 minutes. I'll do a joint mobility warm up, so lets call it under 25 total.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post