SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tom Petty Taken to Hospital - Full Cardiac Arrest. UPDATE: CBS Screws Pooch - Nobody Knows Truth Yet
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tom Petty Taken to Hospital - Full Cardiac Arrest. UPDATE: CBS Screws Pooch - Nobody Knows Truth Yet Login/Join 
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
Wow, that was odd.

Very sad.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
This past afternoon the radio reports said it wasn't looking good. And now everyone's reporting the same, that Tom Petty has passed. Condolences to his family; I've been there. Indeed Mr. Petty, the waiting is the hardest part.

Petty and his music was a big part of my college life and in the decades following. R.I.P.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost Allman Brother
Picture of S600MBUSA
posted Hide Post
So long, Tom, and thanks for the memories.

One of my favorites from his later career:

-Winston Churchill, writing of the Pashtun

Posts: 3989 | Location: Holly Springs/Canton, GA | Registered: November 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of drew3630
posted Hide Post
So sorry to hear that he has passed. He was one of my favorite artists, loved his style of music.
RIP - Tom Petty

Three of the Travelling Wilburys - George Harrison, Roy Orbison, and now Tom Petty have passed

Posts: 244 | Location: Northern California | Registered: June 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HKfan
posted Hide Post
Surprised and saddened. Does anyone know if he had known heart issues? He seemed to be in pretty good shape.

-------------------------
Land Rights for Gay Whales

Posts: 1266 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Brass Pounder
Picture of roustabout
posted Hide Post
Tom Petty was a top notch performer and songwriter. He also had an interesting and informative satellite radio channel. I suppose 66 seems to me to be a young age to die, only because I'm 68. RIP, Tom.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 1017 | Registered: August 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Ridiculous Goddamned "news media". Disgusting, stupid people. Really, they are.

I'd call them pathetic if I didn't want to rip out their collective throat.

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Sad and a very strange story. Another case of the media rushing to break the news, even if they have no news.

There's definitely Sum Ting Wong with that approach to news. RIP mister Petty.

Posts: 7267 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I'm working from home today and Spotify has put together a really nice playlist of his work, "This Is" Tom Petty".

Here is the link: https://open.spotify.com/user/...i9dQZF1DWUlZhYdX0uqM

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Thanks S600mbUSA, I had not heard that. I am guessing "his slate was clear."

A huge loss.

Rip brother!

This was the signature song of his back in the day for me. "Refugee"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC2u_24kdCg

This message has been edited. Last edited by: old rugged cross,

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
October 3, 2017

Tom Petty, RIP

The coda to a sad day in the U.S. was a doozy – the unexpected death of rocker Tom Petty, apparently of a heart attack at his home in Malibu.

It's hard to see him go. He came to the fore about when I came of age in the late 1970s, early 1980s, not quite punk, certainly not disco, not heavy metal, just the resurrection of good rock and roll, with evocative, memorable melodies, depicting great highs and lows that imprint on the time when they are heard. To me, his songs evoke San Diego beaches, Los Angeles highways, San Francisco bars, wind-whipped Monterrey cypress trees at the end of Golden Gate Park, the first Silicon Valley nerds, and student all-nighters at the Foghorn, the student newspaper at the University of San Francisco. That's just the dredgings of one person. It's likely everyone has a slew of comparable memories when thinking of Petty's music.

Despite his music's capacity to capture a moment and sustain the emotionism of youth, it wasn't ephemeral. It was well crafted, with high musicianship, fine lyrics, and original melodies that one can notice only if one plays the music again at a much older age. It lasted. It was art. It was classy as a fine wine and could be played at a party without seeming dated. And he kept producing more, all of it as good as his first stuff, so his career didn't really seem to be over. And one reason we are sad is that we wanted more.

Petty himself, unlike many rock musicians, wasn't a jerk, either. I would have forgiven him if he were, but he always came off as a professional music nerd, not an idiot who wanted to change the world by popping off and saying stupid things. Nor did he show bad behavior at airport lounges or hotel rooms, let alone get busted for pot; Petty never made offensive statements to alienate at least half of his music base, something others might take heed of. For that I was glad to read he died rich, with a net worth of $95 million and a nice place in Malibu.

The amazing and gratifying thing here is that so many celebrities, and people from all walks of life, are mourning his passing. It's bigger than his low profile would suggest – from Bob Dylan to Sheryl Crow to Gene Stanley to Peter Gabriel, they all owe him a debt of gratitude – and there are a lot of them. He spoke to all sides of the political spectrum, and the left and right are mourning him equally. Even Ben Rhodes took a break from his Twitter "narratives" to put in a statement of grief.

All that's left now are his records. It's not nothing. Rest in peace, Tom Petty.

http://www.americanthinker.com...0/tom_petty_rip.html

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very much surprised and saddened by this news. I always liked his music but didn't become a true fan until I started listening to his SiriusXM show--Petty's Buried Treasure. The man really knew his music--right down to the very roots of rock. Listening to his station now. He will be missed.

Posts: 10 | Location: Florida Space Coast | Registered: August 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It should have been Tom Cruise, not Tom Petty.

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Brietbart has a nice tribute featuring 11 songs (videos).

http://www.breitbart.com/big-h...robably-never-heard/

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16214 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Another voice, another echo from my teenage years fades away. RIP Tom. Thanks for crafting such wonderful melodies and imprinting on the MTV generation wonderful video memories.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw him perform this summer. I'm glad to have had the opportunity. They really were great to see live.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
On Amazon Music (their streaming service) last night, I could listen to most of Tom Petty's catalog but couldn't get Full Moon Fever to load; must have been more than a few Gen Xers (and a few boomers like myself to boot) reliving their formative years and remembrances of the man. Indeed we still have your music, but you will be certainly missed.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I have to admit that losing Tom Petty has been a difficult thing for me.

I do not usually have this kind of reaction to performer's passing. But his death has me sad.

He was probably my favorite musician. I love his style and his lyrics. Being able to listen and understand what he is singing has always been enjoyable for me. His voice always spoke to me.
Such a young man to pass and still doing what he loved and doing it well.

I am not a big music guy. Really never been. But I did love his music and as I said. He just seemed like a good man. I cannot say it that is the case or not. Sounds like he was though.

Damn, I will miss you Tom Petty. God speed brother.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
It really sucks getting to the age when people you "idolized" in your formative years and even into your adult years begin to leave us. This was among one of my favorites from TP and the HBs...

LOVE this classic rendention of the video with Jeff, George, and Ringo!!

I had similar sadness when Chris Squire of YES passed away at the young age of only 67 in 2015. Musical geniuses leaving us too early in life... Frown

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post