SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Amtrak train derails in Washington state onto Interstate 5
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amtrak train derails in Washington state onto Interstate 5 Login/Join 
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
I just heard that there are two cars that are still too unstable to get responders in. They don't know how many people are in those two cars.

Posts: 6393 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wishfull thinker:
quote:
the state would just use it for some elaborate, impractical mass transportation scheme.

You're being very kind. I might have said that the state would just piss it away and then cry for more. You are more gracious than I.

I restrained myself since people died.

The 70 people injured sent to St. Joseph hospital in Tacoma are in good hands. I know nothing of the Madigan Army Medical Center.

The JBLM corridor mess will be blocked up for ???

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
I'm hearing reports that the train was going 80 into a 30mph turn, local radio sources.

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
The antifa assholes were advocating putting concrete on train tracks. They had a whole dust up with Union Pacific in Olympia recently.

https://twitter.com/OfficialAn.../880160542442311680?

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3600 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
If this was predictable (by mayor, et al), then criminal negligence charges should be brought on those that are accountable.

My read is that the Mayor was concerned about speed-related pedestrian and vehicle accidents, not derailments specifically. If true, he's not really in a position to be saying "I told you this would happen." That said, it does make sense that for an "inaugural run" and the fanfare that typically goes with it (though I don't think we heard anything about it down here) they would have made a special effort to inspect everything beforehand.

Posts: 7267 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
Thanks for pointing out that Antifa account on Twitter. The The Twitter Rules which went into effect today specifically state "You may not use our service for any unlawful purposes or in furtherance of illegal activities".

We'll have to wait and to find out if Antifa was involved with the train derailment, but I'm just about to learn how to report that Antifa account to Twitter and see if they remove it. That would be another topic if they don't remove the account.

ETA: I have reported the Antifa account which is in violation of Twiter's new rules. Just click on the chevron thing to the right of Follow:

posted Hide Post
quote:
I know nothing of the Madigan Army Medical Center.

If I had a trauma injury that's a good place to go.

ANTIFA connection is an interesting one. I'm curious to see how that pans out. Apparently they are in a panic mode and deleting anything about sabotaging trains or rails off their websites.

Posts: 2127 | Location: Tacoma, Wa. | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phantom229:
I'm hearing reports that the train was going 80 into a 30mph turn, local radio sources.

I heard that too, from a local source, and I'm in yUK.

tac

Posts: 11323 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
All this to save 10 minutes? Is there real ROI behind this? 10 minute saving out of how many - 20 minutes? 90 minutes?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rh:
Thanks for pointing out that Antifa account on Twitter. The The Twitter Rules which went into effect today specifically state "You may not use our service for any unlawful purposes or in furtherance of illegal activities".

We'll have to wait and to find out if Antifa was involved with the train derailment, but I'm just about to learn how to report that Antifa account to Twitter and see if they remove it. That would be another topic if they don't remove the account.

ETA: I have reported the Antifa account which is in violation of Twiter's new rules. Just click on the chevron thing to the right of Follow:

The link in the Tweet above has been 404'd but wayback has archived it at:

https://web.archive.org/web/20...-fracking-equipment/

Light bender eye mender

Posts: 412 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: July 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldfireguy:
ANTIFA connection is an interesting one. I'm curious to see how that pans out. Apparently they are in a panic mode and deleting anything about sabotaging trains or rails off their websites.

Having lived in Washington for too long, the most likely explanation for this derailment is general incompetence.

However, with a report of an object being on the track, and evidence of encouragement and instructions on how to "block" trains with concrete around Olympia provided by Antifa on Twitter, it is quite conceivable that they could be involved, especially since "The Evergreen State College" is not far away from where the derailment occurred. That place is a literal breeding and training facility for left wing radicals from ELF (Earth Liberation Front) to Antifa. The FBI had to get involved with ELF ...

For those who did not click through on the Antifa Tweet, the Tweet was "Here we endorse crimes like pouring concrete on train tracks. We also include a how-to video at bottom of article:", but the article has been deleted. (The Tweet has not been deleted, which is interesting.)

ETA: Thanks for sharing the web archive of the Antifa article GJG.

In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andyb:
The antifa assholes were advocating putting concrete on train tracks. They had a whole dust up with Union Pacific in Olympia recently.

https://twitter.com/OfficialAn.../880160542442311680?

Lol I really hope they do this, and then stand around to watch. This would do nothing but send chunks of concrete flying in all directions.

The 80MPH in a 30MPH curve is more believable than the train hit something.

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
It is worth noting how many trains operate in France, the speeds, the number of people carried, with very, very few injuries or deaths. Switzerland, too, actually.

The trains run on time, too, if you can believe it. I have actually witnessed this on numerous occasions, and do not recall any that weren’t on time.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
For those reading who are unfamiliar with Western Washington, the Interstate-5 corridor is vital for transportation and commuting into and out of the Seattle-Tacoma area, but also for commuting to Joint Base Lewis-McChord (JBLM). This derailment which has closed a lane of I-5 for ??? is going to cause major problems for some parts of Western Washington which is why Goofener Inslee has declared a state of emergency. I-5 was already heavily clogged with traffic, especially around JBLM. And there is a lot of commuting from the Lacey/Olympia area to JBLM.

For those familiar with North Texas, this would sort of be like I-35 being shut down north of Denton (where it splits into I-35E and I-35W), except that the situation is worse than that since there are ways of getting around Denton. As can be seen, there are not many options other than using I-5 to get to/from Olympia to JBLM and the Seattle-Tacoma area. (The derailment occurred around DuPont.)

Here is a direct LINK to Google Maps.

Once many of the state legislators are able to get to the State Capitol into Olympia without using a helicopter, perhaps the legislators will consider addressing the I-5 mess, which exists from Olympia east and north to at least Seattle. I was about type "Naw, they'll just waste another $billion on that money pit tunneling project in Seattle.", except that this is going to adversely affect Amazon's business during the Holiday Season. Perhaps Jeff Bezos might exert his influence to have the I-5 mess addressed as promptly as possible, but then the state legislators would fund an I-5 expansion with another gasoline tax. Roll Eyes

More likely, the Federal government gets involved, since the closure I-5 (south) is going adversely affect the operations of JBLM even more than Amazon.

Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
It is worth noting how many trains operate in France, the speeds, the number of people carried, with very, very few injuries or deaths. Switzerland, too, actually.

And Seattle, which controls the State House and Governor is focused on turning Seattle into a European City while viewing the rest of the state as irrelevant "scenery". They want trains and tunnels, not Interstate highways. Washington is a beautiful state, but it is most horribly managed.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rh,

Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
All this to save 10 minutes? Is there real ROI behind this? 10 minute saving out of how many - 20 minutes? 90 minutes?

Seattlelites' time is valuable! They need to recreate in Portland while ignoring the rest of the state which helps fund their progressive ideas thought up on cannabis(*) and more.

* - It is racist to use the word marijuana!

Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldfireguy:
quote:
I know nothing of the Madigan Army Medical Center.

If I had a trauma injury that's a good place to go.

It's a level 2 trauma unit. Most of the doctors have trauma training and combat experience. They had one of their mass casualty vehicles at the accident. Plus, it's about two miles from the accident site.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
To get from Tacoma to Olympia is normally a 20-30 minute drive. One newscaster reported it took him 4 hours to get around. He swung south along a narrow 2 lane road through several small towns.
The alternate route involves two ferry rides or driving out to the Olympic Peninsula. Both take 2 hours on good days.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
We do work in that area several times a year and traffic is always horrendous, especially through that patch near JBLM - there is no easy way around it.

The 2-3 times a year I'm out there gives me my Seattle / PacNW fill for the year. Great to see the scenery / clients, but I'm always glad to be getting the outbound flight from SEATAC after a satisfying meal at one of the Thai restaurants near the airport.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
To get from Tacoma to Olympia is normally a 20-30 minute drive. One newscaster reported it took him 4 hours to get around. He swung south along a narrow 2 lane road through several small towns.

I would think that drive would be even longer in upcoming days.

quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
The alternate route involves two ferry rides or driving out to the Olympic Peninsula. Both take 2 hours on good days.

I'm editing my post to ask if Port Townshend was the city on the Olympic Peninsula that you are referring to?