SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Amtrak train derails in Washington state onto Interstate 5
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amtrak train derails in Washington state onto Interstate 5 Login/Join 
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
I have relatives in the small town of Shelton WA. They were reporting traffic back ups in and around of 20 miles this afternoon. Via. Highway 3 through Shelton onto 101 than back on to i5.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
I just spoke with someone in Tacoma who plans to take the Shelton route to Olympia. Google Maps is showing that route currently taking 1h 15 min. I doubt that Google Maps is accurate as it does not take into account all of the automobile accidents which will occur.

Asking Google Maps for directions from Tacoma to Olympia "breaks" Google Maps.

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Apparently they are in a panic mode and deleting anything about sabotaging trains or rails off their websites.[/quote]

This made me laugh. Idiots, brilliant idiots.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19188 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
The pictures on the internet are incredible.

I taught Triage today to our recruit class. Review is tomorrow...unfortunate that I will have a case-study to drive the point home.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
My daughter and I were caught in the hours-long Southbound backup this morning...got turned around when everyone was routed off the interstate...tried the alternate route of SR7, but that was beyond slammed. Some five or six hours later and still in the vicinity of the accident, we threw in the towel and gave up on on our trip to Oregon.

Interestingly, had we left two hours earlier as we'd originally planned, we would have been uncomfortably close to being under that trestle when it happened, certainly within ten minutes give or take.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
Amtrak data recorder shows train was traveling at 80mph in a 30mph zone coming into curve!

https://www.seattletimes.com/s...eed-limit-of-30-mph/

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3447 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
So, another engineer twitfacing on his stupid phone.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
It is worth noting how many trains operate in France, the speeds, the number of people carried, with very, very few injuries or deaths. Switzerland, too, actually.

The trains run on time, too, if you can believe it. I have actually witnessed this on numerous occasions, and do not recall any that weren’t on time.

Having often stood in Eugene train station for four hours, sometimes more, waiting for the train to PDX, I can relate to that.

tac

Posts: 11324 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My memory is not the best, however, I believe @ least the last 3 derailments were caused by excessive speed &/ or engineer negligence.

An example must be made.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
SIGforum has now bested ZeroHedge in timely ideas that Antifa might be involved in the derailment of the train http://www.zerohedge.com/news/...-sabotage-near-monda

In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
So, another engineer twitfacing on his stupid phone.

Hopefully not, but Amtrak does have phone detectors in the cabs of their locomotives.

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
The engineer could've just as likely been daydreaming or distracted by the radio and not realize his whereabouts and speed. Certainly wouldn't be the first time.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
I would think that the train engineer would be careful on the inaugural run of the train. But still, that happened in "any thing goes" Washington, and we'll have to await the findings of the investigation of NTSB (and FBI).

Picture of domcintosh
posted Hide Post
Washington needs to do something in order to relieve the burgeoning traffic nightmare that I-5, the Seattle area, and everything between Tacoma and Olympia. The roads aren't built to provide the capacity for the demand in the area. Seattle's traffic is progressing worse off, and the commuters aren't helping matters. As they aim to supplant Silicon Valley, they're running into the same system problems.

Thus the push for more mass transit systems, if implemented poorly and impractically. They're trying to plan for the demand tomorrow, looking at the problems of today, and stay elected.

The opinions expressed in no way reflect the stance or opinion of my employer.

Posts: 5446 | Location: Stationed in Kitsap Washington w/ the USN | Registered: November 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by domcintosh:
Washington needs to do something in order to relieve the burgeoning traffic nightmare that I-5, the Seattle area, and everything between Tacoma and Olympia. The roads aren't built to provide the capacity for the demand in the area. Seattle's traffic is progressing worse off, and the commuters aren't helping matters. As they aim to supplant Silicon Valley, they're running into the same system problems.

Thus the push for more mass transit systems, if implemented poorly and impractically. They're trying to plan for the demand tomorrow, looking at the problems of today, and stay elected.

I go up there once a year for the Labor Day weekend, to Puyallup which is a few miles from Tacoma between it and Mt. Rainier. I've driven under that overpass many times. I leave here usually late Friday morning. A few miles south of Olympia it starts to get slow, and by the time you get up to the JBLM area it's pretty much a crawl. This is by about 2PM. I do not envy the folks who have to drive that mess every day under "normal" conditions. I don't want to imagine what it's like right now, trying to get through that area with I5 closed down.

Posts: 7268 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This train construction project was to save 5-10 minutes of driving time at a cost of $185M.

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Can someone provide a glossary of first responder crash site symbols that get painted on vehicles, buildings, etc?

I see "K" and a circled "X" on some of the trains but find no internet explanation.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look under "FEMA Urban Search and Rescue Symbols."

Understand I have been retired for five years and things have probably changed. X meant the area had been searched. There was lots of information that could go around the X, anything from the amount of dead to a rat infested structure. A circled X meant that a primary and secondary search had been done. The K I'm not sure because when I was working if you had a death it was marked next to the X as a number.

Posts: 2128 | Location: Tacoma, Wa. | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
I've driven under that overpass many times. I leave here usually late Friday morning. A few miles south east of Olympia it starts to get slow, and by the time you get up to the JBLM area it's pretty much a crawl.

It is difficult for Washington to improve the JBLM traffic mess. A train rail is adjacent north of I-5 there while JBLM is adjacent to the south. An overpass would seem to be the obvious solution, but the Seattle-Tacoma-Olympia-suburbs area is prone to occasional earthquakes. Still, something should be done about the bottleneck, and in a rare instance, maybe the Federal government can help.

This is what commuters and commercial traffic are now sitting in while trying to bypass the derailment:

ETA: "Traffic" has long been a problem in that area of Washington, even predating the U.S. Civil War. Trigger warning Smile this PDF LINK documenting the construction of Military Road to transverse from Fort Steilacoom to/from Fort Bellingham was created by

UNITED DAUGHTERS
OF THE CONFEDERACY
Robert E. Lee Chapter 885
Seattle, WA USA

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Trouble with you is
The trouble with me
Got two good eyes
But we still don't see

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post