SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Beginning the hunt for a new car *Update pg.3*
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beginning the hunt for a new car *Update pg.3* Login/Join 
sick puppy
posted
My car is too small now that we have three kids, so I'm in the market for a new vehicle. We have a sizable tax refund coming this month, which we will put almost entirely toward a car.

Background: My wife has a Rav4, which we're still making payments on. We really don't want to take on another car payment. My car is a 2-door manual. My wife can't/won't drive stick and the kids don't fit in it. '

The kids are getting to the age where they want to have friends over or take them places. With a family of 5, the 5-seater Rav4 fits our family great. but adding friends into the mix doesn't work.

I considered a fuel-efficient, roomy sedan for me since I do more driving, but sometimes still want to take the kids places. However, due to the condition above of occasionally wanting to seat more than 5, I don't think that will work out for us. So instead, I'll take the Rav4 and my wife will drive the 'new,' bigger SUV.

Requirements and wants: Instead, I've started looking at SUVs with a third row, or the dreaded minivan - although my wife disdains the thought of a van.
We are looking for a car that was made in the last 9 years, has less than 100,000 miles on it, automatic transmission, can seat 7 or 8.

I started by looking at prices under $10,000, but have some wiggle room. Another option to avoid two car payments is to use the tax refund to (nearly) pay off the Rav4 and start a new loan on the new acquisition, which would give us a bit more wiggle room in the price.

However! We are just barely starting to look. Any advice would be extremely helpful.

Some of the cars I've looked at online so far include the Pathfinder, Sorento, CX-9, Highlander, Acadia, Tahoe, Durango, Explorer, Sienna... some in my price range and a lot are way outside.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PorterN,

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I don't particularly like any of the choices you listed. Or at least most of them.
Best bang for you buck is going to be a van imho. I would look at Honda and Toyota. Especially since you are looking at a higher mileage vehicle.
An Expedition would be one to consider imho.
May rigs at a 100k are going to start to nicke and dime you to death.
I would sell the Rav 4. And look for a Sequoia.

Just a few of my thoughts.

Good luck.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
Do like everyone else in Utah and get a Suburban. We still have ours, it's a '99 that we bought in '04 from an older couple in Park City with 43k miles on the odometer.

We have four daughters (only one left at home) and couldn't beat it for carpooling to school during the week and pulling ATV's or a boat on the weekends. It's been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. Just barely turned over 118k miles this week and still runs like a top.

Posts: 1812 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
I don't particularly like any of the choices you listed. Or at least most of them.
Best bang for you buck is going to be a van imho. I would look at Honda and Toyota. Especially since you are looking at a higher mileage vehicle.
An Expedition would be one to consider imho.
May rigs at a 100k are going to start to nicke and dime you to death.
I would sell the Rav 4. And look for a Sequoia.

Just a few of my thoughts.

Good luck.

I agree either an expedition or explorer

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I would look for a Toyota Sienna or a Honda Odyssey. As someone who drives a minivan daily (work issued vehicle), I laugh when people bring up the "stigma" attached to a minivan.

A few days ago I picked up a 2018 Toyota Sienna to replace my 2015 Toyota Sienna that had 92K trouble free miles on it (when I picked it up from the dealer in July of 2015 it had 3 miles on it). Prior to the Sienna's I had a 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan and I would stay away from them as I had some issues with mine.

The only other recommendation I can make is in regard to midsize SUV's. My wife recently traded her 2013 Dodge Durango for a 2015 Ford Explorer and the Explorer is a much nicer vehicle in my opinion. It is roomier inside, rides and handles better, and is smoother/more refined.

Hope this info helps.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigarms229,

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll second what sigarms said. I also have a 2015 Sienna (only 35K though) and I love it. Transports the 4 grandkids in style. Looks good, handles well, easy to park, good on gas, love it.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about a 2009-2010 Acura MDX from a private party?
Checks a lot of the boxes.

-K

Posts: 178 | Registered: January 27, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Honda Odyssey or Toyota Sienna. We have three kids and an Odyssey. It has more cargo room behind the third row than most full size SUVs.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
We love our Chrysler Pacifica. Granted we are in our 60's now, but it is a nice vehicle, the fold flat into the floor seats, allows you to easily convert it into a cargo van when needed.

It easily, and comfortably, holds six seniors heading out for the day. Big Grin

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
I’d stay with Toyota..My wife went from a Rav to a highlander and she loves it. We had a 2014 Durango and had issues with it ( elec power steering unit replaced at 600 miles and an annoying throttle hesitation when trying to pull out into traffic, the key fob system also malfunctioned repeatedly). No more Dodge for us. We considered a larger vehicle but the wife felt the size impacted maneuverability and was not worth the trade off given our needs. I would not rule out a minivan! We came very close to getting a Sienna.

Posts: 4521 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We bought a van and hated it. After a few years I tried to sell it and it just sat for several months (my price was great). I ended up trading it in to carmax but still made a few grand off of it. Never again.

If you like the RAV4 stick with Toyota and get a Highlander. But like most Toyota's they can be expensive on the used market. If you are buying new there are all kinds of good options, but I have noticed Toyota people are just happier with Toyota's most of the time.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lcbjr77
posted Hide Post
Toyota Highlander, I have '16 XLE with the second row captains chairs (which are occupied by two car seats)
It's comfortable, has the 3rd row, and it's a Toyota...Nuff said

----------------------------------
Walther PPS M2

Posts: 1863 | Location: CT | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Odyssey owner here. Forget the stigma, mini-vans are plentiful because they simply address so many needs. Plus, they generally get better gas mileage than an SUV.

With you being in Utah, I'd recommend the AWD Sienna, first, and any generic Sienna/Odyssey afterward. Simply the best vans on the road.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Odyssey here. Things to note:
- expensive maintenance at around 100k miles for timing belt, water pump, etc. About a grand.
- the ones with eco mode variable cylinder engines were subject of a class action suit, where the piston rings were experiencing gap alignment. Honda responded with extending the warranty on those, but not a full recall. Just had mine done. Ring job is around $2k, but Honda comped 90% of it (or else off to the trading block we go). I’m at 138k miles right now on a 2008.
- Honda still hasn’t really gotten a handle on road noise in any of their products, in my observation of a recent CRV ride.

I’d lean Highlander (brother, sister and father-in-law all have one, it’s nice) or Explorer (uncle has one). Sienna maybe, vans don’t bother me, but I’ve never experienced one directly.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I think these things are ugly as sin. Ugliest thing since the Aztec. And I just plain dislike Ford on General Principles. But my neighbour across the street, when faced with the identical dilemma, went with a Ford Flex. Asked him about it after a couple months of ownership and they're happy with it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
I had a van as a work vehicle for a few years. I actually loved it. I never ran out of room (at the time), and I actually thought about buying one as a POV.

I won't bash on the van's make. It lived a hard life. All day city traffic, start/stop the engine about 80 times a day. And rust. But as a POV, I would have taken better care of it.

They aren't popular because of the "soccer mom" mentality, but that's where you will save $$$.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigJacket:
Odyssey here. Things to note:
- expensive maintenance at around 100k miles for timing belt, water pump, etc. About a grand.
- the ones with eco mode variable cylinder engines were subject of a class action suit, where the piston rings were experiencing gap alignment. Honda responded with extending the warranty on those, but not a full recall. Just had mine done. Ring job is around $2k, but Honda comped 90% of it (or else off to the trading block we go). I’m at 138k miles right now on a 2008.
- Honda still hasn’t really gotten a handle on road noise in any of their products, in my observation of a recent CRV ride.

I’d lean Highlander (brother, sister and father-in-law all have one, it’s nice) or Explorer (uncle has one). Sienna maybe, vans don’t bother me, but I’ve never experienced one directly.

The timing belt is really the only reason I went with the Sienna which has a chain. I think it's ridiculous to consider that a "maintenance item" and charge a customer all that money. Same thing with my wifes Corolla. I really liked the Civic but it has a belt instead of a chain.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
We have a Highlander and a Sienna.
I wish we did not have the Sienna but we have 3 in car seats. Buckling the 2 in the back row is a gigantic pain in the tail. Getting them back there sucks too as the base for the center seat of the second row is always there and you have to step on it.

The Highlander is great but good luck finding one anywhere near 10k.

I would look at the 2008 or older Land Cruiser or Lexus LX 470. They are built like tanks and will easily go 300k plus miles.
I made an offer on a 2007 LX was that a cherry. They balked and I ended up getting the Sienna and they called back the next day.
So with I had the Lexus.

Once the 2 oldest can buckle themselves it won’t be as bad I keep telling myself.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Van. It's not lame. You'll be grateful for it's utility alone. And you're a young guy in Utah - half the friggin population has one. You'll manage without any damage to your man card.

Our 03 Odyssey has 239K miles and it's still a champ. I replace the CV joints/axles this past weekend. 90 minute total for both sides.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
quote:
Van. It's not lame. You'll be grateful for it's utility alone.

This, vans are awesome utility vehicles.
Handy as a shirt pocket. Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post