SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Things to do, eat, visit while in San Antonio, TX
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Things to do, eat, visit while in San Antonio, TX Login/Join 
Picture of Beanhead
posted
Daughter is shooting in the College ACUI Clay Target Nationals with her college team. We are traveling there for 3 to 4 days to watch them.

What should we see while we are there?

Tips on going to the Alamo?

What area should we stay away from?

Thanks in advance!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Beanhead,

Posts: 1352 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
You're going to be right by Seaworld if that tickles the palette. As far as the Alamo is concerned, get off 281 south and 4th street, and park near 4th and Bonham, you'll be right behind the governer's mansion and the Alamo. Easy walking and the parking is generous and relatively inexpensive.

While downtown, across from the Alamo is the Hyatt, go through it and head to riverwalk level and enjoy that! Also, next to the Alamo is the Menger Hotel, where Teddy recruited the rough riders in the Oak Bar. The Hotel is haunted to buyer beware, in fact, if you're up to it get one of the Haunted rooms booked! Ask for Sallie. While downtown, I recommend going to market square (take the trolley) and having lunch/dinner at Mi Tierra or La Margarita, thank me later. Have the cheesecake at RioTexas, its the old Kangaroo Court recipe and oy vey its good. There's a Dirty Nellies on the river that is always a hoot too.

Huge city with so much to do!

Posts: 1986 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
As already mentioned, Mi Tierra and the Menger Hotel. For early San Antonio history, visit Mission San Jose. For seafood go to Sea Island Shrimp House. For good Italian try Paesanos in Lincoln Heights

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Redleg06,

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1976 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
Follow what TexasScrub said and you'll have a blast in San Antonio. But besides that, I think its pretty awesome that your daughter is shooting in the College Clay Nationals. Best of luck to her and her team!

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Schilo’s Delicatessen

Best German deli anywhere. Best German beer on tap. Best sandwiches. My first stop when visiting San Antonio.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tips on going to the Alamo?
Since you're there 4 days, don't go on a Saturday and whichever day you go watch out for those infernal scooters on the sidewalks outside the Alamo.

I like to walk the 3 or 4 blocks over to the Buckhorn Saloon to check out the Texas Ranger Museum and the hall of horns.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
Don't miss breakfast @ Schilo's: it's epic.

They've had 100 years to get it right.

TexasScrub's suggestions are on point as well.

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
Sounds great. What about the bad areas?

We have been told to not keep anything in the cars at night. The competition are well known and gangs are breaking in cars. Also was told there were 13 different gangs there. In Chicago, south is no bueno at night..North Of Milwaukee is where trouble usually occurs. What about SA?

Posts: 1352 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
It’s probably not wise to leave anything in a vehicle overnight at ANY motel in ANY city. Even smaller towns like Boerne, Fredericksburg, and Kerrville have had problems with thefts from vehicles in hotel parking lots for at least the past 20 years.

Just exercise an ordinary amount of caution and awareness and you’ll be OK in San Antonio. For a city its size, it isn’t particularly treacherous.

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
If time permits.

Natural Bridge Caverns

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43882 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Get some good Tex-Mex food.

That will not include the restaurants on the river walk. They have a nice location, but mediocre food. Try the Blanco Cafe, but there are good ones all over the place.

The Alamo, of course. The other old missions are also interesting.

I wouldn't leave anything in my car anywhere. SA is pretty clean for a very big city. You won't be in any really sketchy parts if you are where tourists usually are.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Better thread title please.

Karmanator search utility will give you many threads on this subject.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
South, southeast & near-southwest parts of town not necessarily go-to areas for visitors IMO.

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
What, no mention of Rudy’s?! I haven’t been back to San Antonio in a while, but I always enjoy stopping at the Rudy’s on I-10 just outside the north part of town. I always get the moist brisket so they don’t cut all the fat off, and the creamed corn. I don’t eat creamed corn anywhere but Rudy’s.

Also, if it is still there, I always like Fujiya up in the medical center area. Good Japanese food.

Lots of pretty views out in the hill country if you just want to take a scenic and spirited drive. SR337 is generally a pretty scenic drive.

Depending on the weekend, the San Antonio sports car association might be running an autocross if you feel like beating up your rental car.

-Bret

Posts: 2466 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
As a former resident of S.A.

Alamo Cafe for Tex-Mex.

If you go to the Alamo stop at the Menger Hotel next door.
Go to the Bar, Teddy Roosevelt gathered rough riders there, and there are pics and history throughout.

Posts: 5028 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
TexasScrub advise is good. I third the the Deli recommendations. Good for her to be shooting at the Nationals.

Not sure where you are staying but the Riverwalk area is usually safe and well patrolled.

I loved San Antonio when stationed the at Ft Sam Houston. Have been back a lot since. Have fun.

Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot little puppies.

Gene Hill

Posts: 626 | Registered: July 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rainman64:
As a former resident of S.A.

Alamo Cafe for Tex-Mex.

Oooooo! Good suggestion! I had a co worker that would put butter all over the fresh tortillas and wrap them around whatever he got. Tasty, but deadly!

- Bret

Posts: 2466 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
If you are down by the Alamo the 1716 restaurant is right across the street. You will need a reservation. For some of the best Texas BBQ I recommend Harmon's in Ciblo. Nothing fancy but great BBQ. Rudy's is good in SAT but I heard they recently moved to a new location. If you venture out further there is a Texas Ranger museum in Waco. Lots of great Tex-Mex restaurants in SAT. Downtown in The Pearl area are many great restaurants-you park under the overpass. Another voice for not leaving valuables in cars. There are plenty punks and some pro car burglars-roaming parking Lots looking for guns and high value items like cameras, laptops, cash, etc.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
For a San Antonio-specific take on Tex-Mex, go somewhere for puffy tacos (a taco on a puffed-up deep-fried tortilla).

https://www.texasmonthly.com/food/puffy-tacos/

I like Rosario's.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sadlerbw:
What, no mention of Rudy’s?! I haven’t been back to San Antonio in a while, but I always enjoy stopping at the Rudy’s on I-10 just outside the north part of town. I always get the moist brisket so they don’t cut all the fat off, and the creamed corn. I don’t eat creamed corn anywhere but Rudy’s.

Also, if it is still there, I always like Fujiya up in the medical center area. Good Japanese food.

Lots of pretty views out in the hill country if you just want to take a scenic and spirited drive. SR337 is generally a pretty scenic drive.

Depending on the weekend, the San Antonio sports car association might be running an autocross if you feel like beating up your rental car.

-Bret

That is the Rudy's in Leon Springs. It is good barbeque.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post