SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Things to do, eat, visit while in San Antonio, TX
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Things to do, eat, visit while in San Antonio, TX Login/Join 
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:

then it was time to head to the airport to meet the cat breeder and head home
Where are the cat pictures?

I will get some and put them in the cat pic thread

Posts: 5320 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Bourdro's is better than average for a River Walk restuarant. That was a decent suggestion - a lot of the food on the River Walk just isn't that good. Shilo's is also a solid, simple choice for deli food. And last time I was there, they had Ayinger Celebrator (a doppelbock) on tap, one of the best beers in the world.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
And last time I was there, they had Ayinger Celebrator (a doppelbock) on tap, one of the best beers in the world.

jhe888, when I was in Munich years ago we stopped in a beer garden that was an Ayinger beer garden. That was my favorite beer discovery on that trip. I wonder if Schilo's often has that on tap?

Posts: 3502 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
They only had Paulaner Oktoberfest, at least on tap, I didn't ask about any bottles they may have had

Posts: 5320 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I concur about the food on the river walk. The Biergarten River Walk will be having Oktoberfest events into October. I'll be visiting during the eclipse so I may risk the bad food for the beer. I'll be visiting a co-worker down there to so I'll be dragging her and her family there in hopes of a cool atmosphere. But I'm afraid the food will be just ok and they'll try and rush us out once we're done eating. Any other German places that may be a better idea? With a beirgarten that you can just drink and chill?

Posts: 11166 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
^^^^ The Prost Haus is right next to that theater pic I posted, very cool place to relax with a brew, we did not eat there though

posted Hide Post
Lived there for a year doing my Residency. The ALamo is a BIG let down. The mission tour is worthwhile. Food is great. Real Mexican. The barrio is the place to stay away from unless you are Latino.Really hot in the summer. Think Africa hot.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Mama’s cafe is also good - the cornbread is absolutely amazing.

Posts: 5738 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Lived there for a year doing my Residency. The ALamo is a BIG let down. The mission tour is worthwhile. Food is great. Real Mexican. The barrio is the place to stay away from unless you are Latino.Really hot in the summer. Think Africa hot.

The Alamo is more interesting now. The state has taken it over from the Daughters of the Revolution, and it is working to improve it as a museum. The Daughters pretty much sucked at it. They have some good displays now, and use the Long Barracks as the museum. Phil Collins gave the state a lot of his Texana collection, and he had some very good historical materials. They are using some of it, and plan to use more, as I understand it.

And yes, the National Park Service's treatment of the other San Antonio missions is good. They are interesting.

Yeah, it is hot.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thanks for the update.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Little Red Barn
For Steaks

La Fogata
For Tex Mex

Boudros and Mi Tierra
For River Walk

"The more People I meet, the more I like Dogs."

Posts: 2921 | Location: Houston,Texas | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post