SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Blue Iris Ip camera software any good?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blue Iris Ip camera software any good? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Need to get more cameras. Just have one watching the safe at the moment. I picked up an Amcrest HDPro to try out watching the driveway.
The Amcrest app stores video for 4 hours in the cloud, gives motion notifications for no monthly fee. 4 hours is not long to store anything and I don't feel like paying $6 a month per camera. The camera does have a micro SD slot so I am thinking I will be able to get by on the free account.
In the event it was not I am figuring I would add some RAM and a better video card to the computer in my shop and run them to that machine. This will also not restrict me to Amcrest only cameras.
Blue Iris seems to have the best reviews any others to look at?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25422 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I love Blue Iris. They keep improving it and its easy to set up and works with almost any camera.

that said I don't use any of the advanced storage features. Just basic stuff.

Edit: Try Xprotect too since it's free if you use 8 cams or less. I tried it, and it too is nice, but it did not work with some of my older cams, so back to BI I went.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10926 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Does the free Xprotect version have instant notifications either via e-mail or text?

————————————————

If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Ive been pleased with Blue Iris the last couple of years.

Posts: 4110 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Does the free Xprotect version have instant notifications either via e-mail or text?

Yes, and IIRC, you can disable the texts during certain times of the day, such as when customers would be present if installed in a retail store. Xprotect seems to be geared toward professional / business / retail use.

By the way, Amcrest is re-branded Dahua. The Dahua Starlight series is the Glock of the camera industry. "You will buy a Dahua Starlight."

Stay away from the junky generic $45 Amazon stuff and you are GTG.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10926 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^
THIS

Posts: 2689 | Location: Orlando Area | Registered: February 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

Yes, and IIRC, you can disable the texts during certain times of the day, such as when customers would be present if installed in a retail store. Xprotect seems to be geared toward professional / business / retail use.

By the way, Amcrest is re-branded Dahua. The Dahua Starlight series is the Glock of the camera industry. "You will buy a Dahua Starlight."

Stay away from the junky generic $45 Amazon stuff and you are GTG.

So I take it this is a bad thing?

————————————————

posted Hide Post
Hey Black can you post the actual model number of your Amcrest camera? Is it fixed focus or variable (zoom)?

You are correct about Blue Iris if you dont want to go the dedicated NVR route.

The Dahua 2MP Starlights are as mentioned the gold standard in higher end consumer cameras.

Dont get caught up in the megapixel race. For a lot of technical mumbo jumbo reasons, 2MP (1080p)Starlights kick most 4,5, and even 8MP cams ass when it comes to nighttime image, and are more than enough for good daytime facial recognition. Sure with 8MP you'll get a better daytime image, but most of the BadStuff around my house seems to happen at night..YMMV

Here are 3 different camera views of the same dirtbag hitting cars in our neighborhood. All 2MP.
The first is a fixed 2.8mm
The second is a varifocal average camera
The third is my Dahua Starlight

Which do we want for handing over to LE?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bigredfish,

Posts: 2689 | Location: Orlando Area | Registered: February 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
The Amcrest I got is on the lower end as I got it for silly cheap and just wanted to test out Amcrests cloud app as they are the only one who offers a free account that includes instant notifications.
https://amcrest.com/amcrest-1-...era-pt-ipm-723b.html

I have a really old SD Foscam currently watching the safe that this camera will replace as it is literally mounted 3 feet above the safe so nothing fancy needed.
Just wanted something to start fooling with options on the software side.
I'll likely be going POE cameras as all the rest will be mounted along the soffit and accessed in the attic where I already have Ethernet ran to just would need to put a POE switch up there.

Currently having a little fight with Amcrest site says I have to install the ActiveX plug in. I have updated Adobe flash and added the ActiveX plug in it suggests but does not recognize it on any browser for me to move forward on their log in site to set up P2P.

Downloaded Xprotect just need to install it.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
Ahhhh a WiFi cam. Generally I most shy away from them as they tend to not work well and drop connection frequently. But if it works for ya....yeah the POE setup is the way to go.

Plugins are a PIA as they change frequently and just quit working out of the blue. Many have luck with the Pale Moon browser and or IE.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dahua 2MP Starlights

Wow that third camera is light years ahead of the others.

Is there a good place to get a complete kit with cameras to install, with web access, do these cameras require a power source? To cover the house outside I'd need probably close to 8 cameras .

One house locally caught a guy on the back enclosed patio checking doors. Wife didn't like that so I'm looking into systems, I could get a guy to run cat 5 if needed.

Posts: 23454 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Do you have a link to your specific starlight camera? How far is it from the vehicles and what sort of light sources do you have around it.

Yes. Wifi again it was cheap just to mess around with a bit.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
So its only 12 ft to the drivers door, 37 ft to end of driveway.

The cameras are mounted on the garage pillars at 7ft high (most folks mount them too high which is great if you want to capture bald spots but not so much for faces)

The coachlights on either side of the garage have 1200 watt lumen LED bulbs. Whether white light or infrared, image quality is all about light.

Here's the sister cam on the other side of the garage in IR with no coachlights.

***MAKE SURE and SWITCH to 1080P Quality on Youtube video***

I have an HDCVI system because I'm no IT expert and already had an analog system run using Cat5 cable. CVI cams allow you to use Cat5 just like IP POE cams, and are about 1/2 the price for the same image sensor technology. They have come a very long way and can be had in up to 4K now.

Here is the Bullet HDCVI cams I have out front
http://www1.dahuasecurity.com/...hfw3231e-z-6301.html

Here is the IP version
http://www1.dahuasecurity.com/...hfw5231e-z-3741.html

There are also Turret and eyeball versions and other variable focus with longer range lens's like 5x and 12x
http://www1.dahuasecurity.com/...hdw5231r-z-3651.html

With the Starlights, you're getting F1.4 at about .005LUX which is extremely good low light capability. The smaller that number the better the low light image.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bigredfish,

posted Hide Post
One last thing because I dont think most folks understand when they start out, (I sure didnt)

Most box kits and cams you come accross are fixed wide angle lens. Usually 2.8 mm. That means you get a real wide view to know "what" happened, but little detail past 3-5ft to know "who did it"

Thats why variable focus cams (VF - not to be confused with PTZ which are overkill and really useless for most residential applications) are so helpful. They allow you to zoom and set the focal point where you want within the allowable distance of that camera. Most like mine come with 2.8-12mm lens (4X zoom). Those captures are only about 4mm zoomed.

So if I wanted the same detail at 40 ft at the end of the driveway, I could easily get that at 12mm zoom.

Other more powerful lenses allow you to zoom up to say 30X or 40X and get that level of detail at 500-1000 ft

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Do you have a vendor that you like for these cameras?

————————————————

posted Hide Post
Most all cameras you see or find in stores or Amazon/Ebay (Amcrest, Qsee, Lorex and many others) are made by one of two companies - HIK Vision and Dahua - both in China.

So the problem is they have US distributors who mark things up 2x or 3x as they really only want to sell to contractors. You can find some low end models on Amazon but not the good stuff usually, and most of that is from Chinese sellers. The few US distributors tend to limit stock and which models they carry to sell to Joe Q Public.

So you can buy from a US distributor like B&H https://www.bhphotovideo.com/ with warranty and support, or buy direct from China for 1/2 to 1/3 the price with effectively no warranty as shipping eats you up.

Two places to buy direct that I have used and trust so far over 3-4 years:
CCTV-Mall - remember "in stock" doesnt mean what it says in Chinese Wink Plan on a 3 week lead time. Use DHL for shipping and a credit card and no worries.

Even more trustworthy is a guy that goes by the name Andy on the ipcamtalk forum https://ipcamtalk.com/ . he's got two AliExpress stores (Chinese Amazon) and caters to members of that forum. He warranties his stuff and has treated many members right for a long time.

His store is Empire Technology. If he says its in stock it is. Otherwise contact him through the forum and tell him what you need and he;ll quote you a price.
https://www.aliexpress.com/sto....10010108.0.0.DpMWq5

The most popular camera going currently from Andy $170
https://www.aliexpress.com/sto....12010608.0.0.jgDHTg

When ordering from either I usually pay with Paypal and DHL shipping and have had no hassles.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. The last listed camera is the one I was looking to get over the bullet.

————————————————

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:

Actually, that would be HikVision but I know what you mean. Dahua is big too.
However, there is no "one size fits all" in security cameras.
There are many facets that make up what is the optimal solution.
A part of if is simply how the camera handles light ~ the very same way any camera does.
Think in those terms and you are on the right way.
Again, this is only one area.
Dahua is a big company, not the only company and not necessarily the best or the worst.

Posts: 22908 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of course smschulz is right (I think he does this for a living and knows far more than I), each camera location requires something different, whether it be settings or a different camera/lens alltogether. I have 8 at my home with 5 different cameras.

I dont view Dahua as "the best" there are plenty of great high end cameras by companies like Axis, Bosch, Avigilon, MOBOtix, SONY and many others.

I'm simply an enthusiast/hobbyist and like to tinker with them and manage a few both low end and high end systems. The Dahua Starlights are IMHO simply the best value going currently in that high end residential/light commercial market with respect to image quality and features. HIK has a line they call Darkfighter that is similar.

Just a few short years ago you would be paying literally thousands of dollars for the same value and features from say Axis or Bosch. The technology is changing rapidly so a year from now anything you buy will be "old technology"

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigredfish:

Dont get caught up in the megapixel race. For a lot of technical mumbo jumbo reasons, 2MP (1080p)Starlights kick most 4,5, and even 8MP cams ass when it comes to nighttime image, and are more than enough for good daytime facial recognition. Sure with 8MP you'll get a better daytime image, but most of the BadStuff around my house seems to happen at night..YMMV

You are correct that pixel count is not the only factor.
In fact higher pixel count cameras are worse for low light.
Additionally, cameras specifically designed better for low light do just that and are perfect for that time frame.
Cameras designed for license plate recognition are different too and perform that function well.
High pixel count cams have their use too but use them accordingly.
Totally agree about the bad stuff during night, low light cams are great for that!

Posts: 22908 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post