SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you favor some sort of mandatory (draft-type) service?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you favor some sort of mandatory (draft-type) service? Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Not military necessarily, but something that benefits the country. In-country Peace Corps or depression-era Civilian Conservation Corps, that sort of thing. Register @ 18, serve a couple of years, garner some GI Bill-type benefits, grow up, learn a little self discipline and then move on with your life.

Question:
Do you favor a mandatory service program?

Choices:
Yes, Great Idea
Maybe, depends on the choice(s) of programs
No, this isn't Russia, leave me alone.
Other (explain in post, please)

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Before we get too far into this, for any purpose other than military service, is this legally viable? And if it's only the military, is the military in any position to deal with this?

Also, who's going to pay for it?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I voted 'other.' I'm not in favor of conscription except in times of national emergency.

However, one thing I would favor is some form of curriculum that includes travel abroad. I was fortunate to grow up in a foreign service family and attend schools abroad. The most important thing I learned is that the U.S.A. *IS* unique, and *IS* exceptional.

Most of the pajama boy snowflakes today have no idea what life is like outside the boundaries of their cell phones, much less their country. Make it so!

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
As I've stated before, I wouldn't make military service, or any sort of public service, strictly mandatory for everyone across the board. But I'm in favor of requiring some period of obligatory structured public service, either military or civilian, before certain civic privileges are earned, like voting or holding public office. (Robert A. Heinlein-style.)

This could be military service, or civilian service in something like the National Health Service, Civilian Conservation Corps, Americorps, etc.

I'd allow working in certain public service fields to also qualify, like LE/Fire/EMS, teaching, nursing, etc.

Don't want to serve your nation/community and contribute to the common good? That's fine. That's your choice. But you don't get a say in how it is run.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Before we get too far into this, for any purpose other than military service, is this legally viable? And if it's only the military, is the military in any position to deal with this?

Also, who's going to pay for it?

Valid concerns, but beyond the scope of what I was looking for.

Certainly NOT only military as stated in the OP. Some folks are just not cut out for military service and it would be counter-productive and an unfair burden on the military to force the issue.

I'll enumerate my reasons for this poll after more folks have had a chance to respond.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
No, being voluntold is not what freedom is all about.

And making people do something they don't want to do is rarely a recipe for success.

There will always be over achievers and slackers. Such is life.

There are plenty of actual volunteers most of the time.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Yes if you take public funds..grants or loans...or welfare

Some type of public service military, teaching or providing services in depressed areas or digging a ditch...

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
there was just some celebrity on some talk show , speaking of safety and world travel

he said Israel was the safest place he'd ever visited.

they got some stuff going on over there

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54638 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I used to believe in an all volunteer army/navy military.

But as I've seen the country drifting farther and farther apart, I realize that we have little in common as Americans. A common experience, such as two years of military service might help. It works for the Israelis.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
we should have something in place for youth offenders you go to jail or learn a trade help fix the crumbling infrastructure go in the military

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I think some form of public service requirement when young (late teens to early 20s) is a reasonable concept, but it cannot be limited to just the military, because some people just are not cut out for that type of service (and the military should not have to deal with them). It is a privilege to live in this country, and I think it not unreasonable to think those who benefit ought to contribute to its viability in some way. Many young people are not yet mature enough to have a clear path to their future, and some form of structured service at that point in their lives might be helpful.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
I used to believe in an all volunteer army/navy military.

But as I've seen the country drifting farther and farther apart, I realize that we have little in common as Americans. A common experience, such as two years of military service might help. It works for the Israelis.

It's a size issue, I'd wager, which scales and gets more difficult with an exponential curve. And a diversity issue. Of course Israel and Japan have strong cultural ties, they're super homogeneous, nearly perfectly so. America, on the whole, is the very antithesis of that.

It's hard to get n-number of people to agree on fairly inconsequential topics like where to eat lunch, or whether or not the city needs a new dog park, or what radio station to play.

And even more so in a nation of more than 300 Million people spread out over 3 Million square miles in the CONUS alone, with vastly differing school systems and family values, and the vast differences in lifestyles and values - even amongst patriotic Americans.

Really, I'm more and more of the opinion that it's amazing things work as well as they do, at any scale beyond that of a typical US State (which is what countries like Israel really are).

For all our warts and inefficiencies, and they are in many cases incalculable, this country is still the best of its sort on Earth, and is barely held together most days with Popsicle sticks and Elmer's Glue. We're "the EU sort of idea" that actually, mostly, works.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
no

military life is hard enough with volunteers.

on the civilian side - like a job corps or infrastructure construction corps - i would be interested in hearing ideas

but voluntary is best

-------------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
JUST TO BE CLEAR...AGAIN...MILITARY IS NOT THE ONLY OPTION HERE.

Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Not military necessarily, but something that benefits the country. In-country Peace Corps or depression-era Civilian Conservation Corps, that sort of thing. Register @ 18, serve a couple of years, garner some GI Bill-type benefits, grow up, learn a little self discipline and then move on with your life.
Yes, but no benefits unless you could be put in harms way with no way to opt out.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 226Reasons
posted Hide Post
I believe all citizens that are in possession of their mental and physical faculties should be put through boot camp and basic training. It would teach them basic skills and respect for superiors(by consequence of their jackassedness<that's a word now). Every person should know how to defend themselves and it is in our country's best interest to ensure it. It would teach people that weapons aren't inherently evil. For some it may open their eyes to a career path they never considered. In general I would hope it taught respect for those that served.

But that is just my opinion.

Posts: 1327 | Location: TN | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I can imagine a smart mouthed SJW up against a foul mouthed DI.

That might be fun to watch.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If someone does not want to do something and are forced anyway, they will do the worst possible job at it.

Do you really want the person next to you to be mailing it in in a firefight?

Posts: 1040 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
No, our military isn’t supposed to teach people shit their parents SHOULD have taught them growing up.

If it isnt military conscription, it will just another bloated government organization wasting our money.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
In an ideal world, young ones would volunteer willingly for a variety of programs which would expand their horizons. But as things are, far too many would simply be an extreme burden on any number of potential programs including military service.

So, no. I'm not in favor of any mandatory type service.

This from a retired naval officer who started off as an army drill sergeant. I've seen all types. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16214 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post