SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How can I remove some swirl marks from table
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How can I remove some swirl marks from table Login/Join 
posted
Lets not ask about how they got there but how can they be removed. This is a real stained wood table not the veneer stuff. Amish made.

Got some really light swirl marks. Need them to go away before the wife finds out. Thanks

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How they got there might provide clearer answers. Generic light polishing could be pumice. Barkeeper's Friend, maybe, for a cleanser.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
What kind of finish is on the wood?

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe the finish is catalyzed lacquer (per the website).

I tried to take a smudge off the table with a magic eraser. Don't judge me

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
I've heard of using walnut shells to blend out the sort of marks you are describing.

Youtube may have answers.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
A plastic polish is what I use for lacquer. Even a paste toothpaste would work as a mild abrasive. Auto buffing compound, sometimes.

A local hobby shop would have options.

Novus 2 is what I use on nitro finish.

I clean the surface with naphtha or lighter fluid then use the Novus 2.

Really thick finishes, like on a cheap guitar, I've removed scratches with acetone - fingernail polish remover - but this stuff will melt any thin lacquer. It even melts plastic bindings.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post