SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Summer suit brand?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Summer suit brand? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I have some nice suits, including Versace. They are nice, great materials, great cuts, very comfortable. But they really suck for business meetings and walking around places like Tokyo and Seoul during hot humid summers.

What I really want is a business suit that is perfect for these occasions. Light weight, breathable cool fabric that is still appropriate for business meetings.

Available in the US just haven't been aware of them? Or should I buy one while I'm in Japan? It seems to be about $350.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Either ask for tropical weight wool, or, if you don't need something quite as formal, go with linen.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I'll look into tropical weight wool - dunno what that is.

I went back and looked at the suit again.

This Japanese suit comes with two pants. The jacket looks like it's lightly lined on the front sides but unlined on the back. The back is almost see through if you hold it up to the light. The materials seem like a polyester blend but not sure.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
If at all possible fly to HK and cross over to shenzhen and go see this guy.

Chinese name: 上海新时代洋服 (Shanghai New Age Dress)
Chinese Address: 深圳火车站罗湖商业城 (Luohu Commercial Railway Station Shenzhen)
Shop Number: 5090 on 5th floor.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I'm sure it's pretty good - I've had tailor made suits from HK before (long ago).

So please don't take personal offense but I no longer go to China for biz or pleasure. I avoid buying products made in China as much as possible now as well. I'm okay with Taiwan and used to live there. But not China. Personal choice based on personal reasons.

Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
Ok, no offence taken. Cool

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Side note, way off topic Smile I've been in Japan and Korea for the past month or so.

Something about Trump / US actions in favor of S.Korea has basically put either an official or unofficial moratorium on trade and tourism from China to Korea. China won't import things (ie - Korean cars) and has stopped sending tourists to Korea. So, it's hurting the Korean export business a bit.

But Korean sightseeing spots are less crowded and a lot quieter. And locals have experienced a notable reduction in crime as well. So, the situation has pros/cons. But guess where all the Chinese tourists are going now?

Guess how noisy and crowded Japanese hotels and sightseeing spots are now....... And marked difference in the behavior of children between Japanese (and Korean) and Chinese.

Sorry, I crapped in my own thread. I'm in a mood I guess.

posted Hide Post
You can always go for the Matlock look-seersucker. Big Grin

Posts: 17145 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I never really watched Matlock and didn't know what a seersucker suit was.

I actually kind of like it but I'm imagining that it might look a little unkempt for business meetings. But they sound nice as a casual wear suit. I know your suggestion was a little tongue in cheek but I actually might buy one if they are still available. Smile

The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Seersucker is very traditional for suits, but might be tricky outside of the South

Posts: 5738 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
thats going to be a tough order. I've got a few poly suits that are somewhat cool feeling, however, when you get close to them they clearly look polyester and not wool.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
BrooksCool by Brooks Brothers.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I have an Armani jacket that's 90% fine cotton (for coolness) and 10% cashmere (for hand). The material looks, and feels, nice – my favorite summer jacket. I don't know if Armani makes a suit of this material, but if so it'd be a good choice.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Thanks. I'll look into tropical weight wool - dunno what that is.

I went back and looked at the suit again.

This Japanese suit comes with two pants. The jacket looks like it's lightly lined on the front sides but unlined on the back. The back is almost see through if you hold it up to the light. The materials seem like a polyester blend but not sure.

There's a lot of variation in suit fabrics. Tropical weight wool is just the general term for the wool fabrics that are as light as it is feasible to make a suit out of. The weave is also typically a little more open and breathable than heavier suit fabrics.

The jacket you describe is what I've heard called "half-lined." Half-lined and unlined jackets are definitely cooler but they are also noticably less structured and less formal (unlined more so than half-lined). In a lot of situations that's fine, sometimes it might not be.

I have several sportcoats that are half-lined or unlined and made with very light wool or wool/silk blend that I wear quite a bit in the summer, but I'm not wearing them for high powered business meetings.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Haspel is an old, traditional brand that was born in the most humid environment in the continental US, New Orleans. Think tan khaki-style and seersucker. Think Gregory Peck in To Kill a Mockingbird, or Matlock.

Haspel is still around, and the style isn't for everyone, but lawyers in the Gulf South, from Houston to Atlanta, still wear them:

https://www.haspel.com/collections/suit-separates

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
You can always go for the Matlock look-seersucker. Big Grin

I was thinking the same thing....seriously though. I don't know about overseas etiquette, though.

Or, how about all cotton oxford cloth? I used to have an oxford cloth jacket and pants that I wore together as a suit years ago. Maybe too casual?

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38677 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Tropical worsted wool or BrooksCool, from Brooks Bros.
Prices will be around $1,000.
You get what you pay for.
Perhaps the $350 Japanese suit, in an appropriate material, is the best way to go.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
White linen with pink t-shirt and no socks.

Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Light weight wools. It is all we need here in Houston.

Pincord or seersucker is nice for a change, too.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I've been a fan of Haspell for years, but if you buy locally and have tailored locally, you'll have what works locally. Just make sure the suit says what you want it to say locally.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post