SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Trump Presidency : Year III
Page 1 ... 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 ... 348

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Trump Presidency : Year III Login/Join 
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Why do folk always say things like "for the first time in history . . ." when well no, that is just not true?

Andrew Jackson won fair and square but somehow Quincy is named president? Jackson won both the electoral and popular vote. I know, I know, 12th amendment and Clay and all that.
My point is, there are numerous cases of bitter presidential elections where the results were always contested (Lincolns election led to the Civil War and why the hell was Grant ever president?).
So yeah, when states start secession . . . thats when it gets real. Till then, it is just politics. If the Dems were serious about beating Trump they would have figured out how to have a real candidate not this clown show we have now.
So all they have is impeachment and that (imho) is just for show.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3591 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Report This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I recommend reading Ron Chernow's biography of Grant. According to him, Grant got the Trump treatment, so his bad rap comes down to us as history.
Grant was elected as a result of being the victorious general in the Civil War. He labored under very difficult circumstances to reunite the country and bring law and order to the South during "Reconstruction".

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Report This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I recommend reading Ron Chernow's biography of Grant. According to him, Grant got the Trump treatment, so his bad rap comes down to us as history.
Grant was elected as a result of being the victorious general in the Civil War. He labored under very difficult circumstances to reunite the country and bring law and order to the South during "Reconstruction".

And his cabinet was very corrupt and created a lot of the really bad aspects of reconstruction. In grad school it was basically taught as a type of political ignorance on his part. As such he was used and manipulated.

I don't personally feel Trump is being played so much as he is playing them. Does he wish for all the toxicity? no. but if they are going to be so predictable. Then give em hell.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3591 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Reports: Red State Democrats Already Concerned About 'Out of Control' Impeachment Process

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/...ent-process-n2553982

I don't know what they're nervous about, frankly. With wise, sober, measured adults like Adam 'Ample Evidence of Collusion' Schiff running the show, I'm sure everything will be above-board and perfectly fine. Er, on second thought, yeah, maybe these worry warts have a point:

Senate Democrats representing red states are worried the House impeachment process may spin out of control and destroy any chance their party might have of winning back the majority next year. These Democrats hope the House keeps its impeachment focus on the Ukraine controversy, and that Democrats act relatively quickly. If they do not, the red-state Democrats warn President Trump could turn the tables on them...One Democratic senator who requested anonymity to discuss the dynamics within the Democratic caucus said Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) has told his colleagues that Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) wants to keep the scope of the impeachment inquiry as narrow as possible. The senator, who favors a broader scope, said that “people are worried” about potential political fallout within the Democratic caucus.

The Australia dud probably gave some of these hand-wringers extra heartburn, demonstrating how a lack of focus and half-baked hype can benefit Trump. And as I mentioned on Fox earlier, while some Senate Democrats hope that their House colleagues act quickly on a narrow focus, there are other Democrats pushing for protracted hearings on an array of issues. It's also interesting to see Democrats urging the House to move quickly based on exclusively and transparently political considerations. Republicans will certainly be keeping an eye out for internal strife over timelines and strategy across the aisle, which could be politically exploitable. Keep in mind that Nancy Pelosi hasn't formally pulled the trigger on a full House vote authorizing the impeachment inquiry that her party says it is undertaking, as is the precedent. If she's serious about the troubling constitutional matters and power abuses about which she's been gravely intoning (warning members not to seem giddy), why is she playing this nakedly political game?

By forgoing a full House vote to authorize an impeachment inquiry, Mrs. Pelosi has amped up the partisanship. Instead of moving ahead with the full backing of the elected representatives of the American people, she has launched the Trump impeachment by personal ukase. Even more remarkable, it has been greeted with a collective ho-hum. True, the Constitution does not require a House vote. It’s also true, however, that Mrs. Pelosi has no precedent for what she has done, and by eliminating a House vote, she has denied the House minority the opportunity to be heard before Congress begins exercising its most formidable constitutional power short of declaring war: the process of removing an elected president.

On the public opinion front, with their party closing ranks behind the impeachment inquiry, Democratic voters have shifted significantly in that direction (with Republicans heavily opposed) -- and independents splitting against impeachment and removal in the latest D-friendly Quinnipiac poll:

Steve Kornacki @SteveKornacki
· Sep 30, 2019
Replying to @SteveKornacki

Note that this poll is asking specifically about impeachment and removal -- not whether voters favor the impeachment inquiry now underway

Steve Kornacki @SteveKornacki

Breakdown by party:

Dems: 90-5% support
GOP: 92-7% oppose
Independents: 42/50% oppose
3:02 PM - Sep 30, 2019

And while support for impeaching Trump has jumped considerably, so has his strong support, which could be an early kernel of a backlash; the sort of thing that could give Democrats representing red-tinted constituencies anxiety. Monmouth's latest national poll indicates that a majority of the country remains opposed to impeachment (with the president's very mediocre job approval rating unchanged), although the share of those favoring that outcome has climbed slightly. Voters favor the investigation, but not impeachment. How those dynamics shift with events is anybody's guess, but the risk of overreach is real. Speaking of which, I'll leave you with this:

Posts: 12682 | Registered: January 17, 2011Report This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC6lzxZvS_k

Peter Navarro: Trump's wins are being overshadowed by impeachment

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Report This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
Here's the OpEd:

https://www.foxbusiness.com/mo...ms-impeachment-squad

The radical Democrats’ impeachment squad and much of the American media are missing a great presidency. Just last week, in a single day, President Trump signed a historic Japanese trade deal in New York as a White House-led team negotiated a radical reform of the Universal Postal Union in Geneva.

Together, these two quintessentially Trump deals will net American farmers, manufacturers and workers billions of dollars and create thousands of jobs. Yet last week’s news cycle was dominated by another politically motivated witchhunt circus.

Regarding the Japan deal, on his first business day in office, the president stopped the U.S. from joining the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP). Since that historic day, Trump has been criticized by the globalist elite for opting out of a multilateral deal with 11 other partners that, in truth, would have been the death knell for America’s auto industry. Yet the just consummated Japan deal represents the best evidence to date the TPP withdrawal was a stroke of bilateral negotiating genius.

Consider this multilateral math: Of the 11 countries in the TPP, the U.S. already has free-trade agreements with six. Of the other five, Japan represents virtually all of their combined gross domestic products. Access to Japan – particularly for agriculture – is what really mattered from a trade perspective.

By entering into the Japan bilateral deal, the U.S. will have virtually the same access to the Japanese agricultural market as those that joined the new TPP but is paying substantially less for that access than it would have in TPP. For example, autos and auto parts are not part of the Japan deal. That’s a BIG win for America.

Regarding the radical reform of the Universal Postal Union (UPU), this should be the deal heard round the world. It aptly demonstrates that President Trump will no longer tolerate multinational organizations like the UPU and World Trade Organization treating America like a piggy bank – even as the historic deal underscores America’s diplomatic willingness to work within the framework of international organizations when we and our friends and allies are treated with fairness and respect.

Under the UPU’s antiquated “terminal dues” system, the U.S. Postal Service was being forced to subsidize a flood of small parcels, primarily from China, to the tune of half a billion dollars a year. This not only harmed the Postal Service, but also gave China an unfair competitive advantage against American manufacturers and workers. Incredibly, under UPU rules, it was cheaper to send a package from Shanghai to New York than from Chicago or Los Angeles to New York.

To fix this insanity, a White House-led interagency team worked in Trump time – which is to say as quickly as possible – to get the best deal for the American people.

In Step One, President Trump ordered a withdrawal from the UPU within one year, the earliest by the terms of the treaty.

In Step Two, our team worked with the UPU leadership and our allies on a solution that would allow the U.S. to immediately self-declare our own rates at a level high enough to recover our costs and end the economic distortion -- our core demands.

Step Three was to hold an Extraordinary Congress that would allow the UPU’s 192 members to vote on a reform package that would keep the U.S. inside the organization.

As our team arrived last week in Geneva for that congress, skeptics said a deal couldn’t be done while alarmists warned that a hard break from the UPU would be catastrophic for the international mail system. Yet the Trump team stuck to its guns, secure in the knowledge that we had prepared for a seamless transition if necessary and that other members of the UPU needed the U.S. far more than the U.S. needed the UPU. (Roughly 40 percent of all international mail travels to or from the United States.)

Over the course of four days in Geneva, we worked hard on a package that would provide relief not just to the U.S. but to other disadvantaged countries that have been hit just as hard by the Chinese flood of cheap counterfeit goods and illicit substances via e-commerce. To that end, we insisted on some reforms that neither helped nor hurt the U.S. but nonetheless helped our friends and allies.

For example, even as the U.S. would get immediate self-declared rates, we insisted on a relatively rapid phase-in schedule of self-declared rates for countries like Brazil, Canada, Japan and Norway. We also had the backs of smaller and less developed countries in the UPU, by supporting an innovative proposal from the South African delegation that exempted low-mail-tonnage countries.

Predictably, China, the primary beneficiary of the terminal dues system, did everything it could to block the U.S. coalition. To that end, and as part of its “one belt, one road” new brand of colonialism, Chinese negotiators tried to quietly bully recipients of its checkbook diplomacy, particularly in Africa and Southeast Asia, to vote against the reform. Yet in the end, the congress adopted the final proposal by unanimous acclamation – a clear validation of the strong leadership of Donald J. Trump.

Viewed from a strategic perspective, this was a quintessential example of new and innovative Trumpian diplomacy. Set the terms of the negotiation rather than let an international organization drag us into the trap of “further studies.” Make clear asks and define what success looks like. Have the backs of our friends and allies. Stay strong even when the swamp lobbyists are up in arms and the odds are moving against a deal. Stay firm on our negotiating positions and ALWAYS be willing to walk.

Of course, instead of featuring this historic UPU event – along with the Japanese deal – cable news airwaves were clogged by a bevy of self-righteous and sanctimonious commentators attempting to drag America into yet another witchhunt.

What we are witnessing writ large is the simultaneous devolution of America politics and journalism at the sacrifice of important opportunities to improve the lives of Americans. What we are missing in the endless witchhunt news cycle is a fair and accurate accounting of what history will surely judge to be one of the greatest presidencies in modern times.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Working to solve real problems and do things that benefit all Americans. No wonder the establishment hates Trump. No President has attempted anything like that since Reagan. Half or more of the American people have absolutely no idea how fortunate they are that he was elected and they're squandering one of the greatest opportunities for greatness in our history.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3534 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Report This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
they're squandering one of the greatest opportunities for greatness in our history.

This times 1000.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Report This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
From Friday night at the Hispanic Heritage Month reception. I'll bet this got zero coverage from the MSM.

[video]

This is good to see after page after page of negative waves. This thread needs more of it.

Posts: 27957 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.breitbart.com/2020...on-in-third-quarter/

President Donald Trump’s reelection campaign and the Republican National Committee raised $125 million in the third quarter of the year, a presidential fundraising record .

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, the Dems know that if they don't get President Trump out of office before the election, he's going to stomp a mudhole in their commie ass. That's what all this impeachment horse shit is about, and nothing but. They know that they're toast and they are desperate.

Posts: 107588 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
And, uh, I'm just gonna leave this here.

Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
From Friday night at the Hispanic Heritage Month reception. I'll bet this got zero coverage from the MSM

This is good to see after page after page of negative waves. This thread needs more of it.

Call me oddball Wink

We're good to go.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16696 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
President Trump tweets from last hour

As I learn more and more each day, I am coming to the conclusion that what is taking place is not an impeachment, it is a COUP, intended to take away the Power of the....

...People, their VOTE, their Freedoms, their Second Amendment, Religion, Military, Border Wall, and their God-given rights as a Citizen of The United States of America!

It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
“As I learn more and more each day, I am coming to the conclusion that what is taking place is not an impeachment, it is a COUP, intended to take away the Power of the People, their VOTE, their Freedoms, their Second Amendment, Religion, Military, Border Wall, and their God-given rights as a Citizen of The United States of America!” Trump on Fb

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Report This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Para...I think that guy would be the PERFECT replacement of Ted Nugent!!! LMAO!!! Big Grin Jeezus...at the end, was Pelosi drunker than Cooter Brown or is she just that stupid??? LMAO again! Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Corey Lewandowski barely able to contain his glee when V.D.H. calls Pelosi's move "one of the stupidest things in political history."

Victor Davis Hanson does not exaggerate. If anything, his approach is understated, so for him to say that...

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
From Friday night at the Hispanic Heritage Month reception. I'll bet this got zero coverage from the MSM

Call me oddball Wink

We're good to go.

You are an oddball.

But you are not wrong. IF they could impeach Trump he would be long gone.

They don’t have the support when it comes to a vote. Most of the rank and file WANT to get re-elected, and they know that attaching their name to impeachment is a sure way to be out of a job.

Despite the “support” from the public that the media claims is out there, it’s a lie, and most of these politicians know it.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Report This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Anyone who would believe political polls after the 2016 election is a shining example of a walking, talking, respirating moron.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Corey Lewandowski barely able to contain his glee when V.D.H. calls Pelosi's move "one of the stupidest things in political history."

Victor Davis Hanson does not exaggerate. If anything, his approach is understated, so for him to say that...

Yeah, I'm watching Corey's expressions and he's just barely keeping it in. Big Grin Big Grin Nancy succumbed to the imbecile AOC and her squad of dipshits.

Victor is right, can't mention Ukraine w/o Biden, it just can't be done unless the person is deliberately ignorant.

President Trump is setting them up to run Biden out, get Warren in there, expose Warren and her Wall Street money so the real socialists vote a more true-to-their-cause communist instead of Warren. Split the (D) like in 2016 when lots of (D) didn't vote b/c Bernie accepted HRC/DNC bribes.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Report This Post