SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    NYC trip suggestions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NYC trip suggestions Login/Join 
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted
I'm thinking of taking the kids up to New York in April food one of the last Ringling bros shows. The show is in Uniondale. On the map, it's pretty close to Manhattan, but I know in NYC, geographic distance is irrelevant. We will provably do the circus Saturday night. Since they've never been to New York, is also like to take them to some of the places I liked as a kid. That includes my grandparents neighborhood in Brooklyn, central park, times square, Chinatown, statue of liberty.

I'm looking for suggestions of where to stay and possible itineraries. I know getting around to all of that stuff may not be possible, even on a weekend. I'm not planning to rent a car, but not shy about taking the subway.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was recent thread you may glean some ideas from.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/3900051024/p/1

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
City pass if you plan to do many sights. Usually includes statue of liberty, empire state building, museums, and the like.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
For planning purposes, figure on about 2 hrs from midtown Manhattan to Uniondale (Nassau Coliseum) each way. Includes a couple of transfers, so your kids could get to experience the subway, the Long Island Rail Road, and a city bus all in one journey.

One of the places I loved as a kid in the 60's, and my kids loved 40 years later, was the Hall of Science in Flushing. Tons of interactive exhibits; very hands-on.

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3142 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That was my thread referenced above. Just a heads up for May the crown access is completely sold out for the Statue of Liberty. If anyone knows where to get this in the black market, let me know Smile or if someone knows a guy who knows a guy...

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
To get from the the city back and forth to the Nassau Colosseum will require some sort of car. This might be a good job for Uber/Lyft. I have no idea how much that would cost. You could rent a car, but then you have the issue that the car is a major liability in Manhattan.

While NYC is transit friendly Long Island is very car centric. Getting to venue without taking a car all the way from the city would require taking the Long Island Rail Road to probably Carle Place, and taking a cab from there. I wouldn't recommend that.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
If you don't do the Statue of Liberty, at least take the Staten Island ferry to Jersey and back.
Great views of the Statue as well as the NYC skyline.
Best thing, it is free..

I'd also walk around ground zero.
Your kids might not get it, but you will.
It is something everyone should do..IMHO
It's walking distance from the ferry..

My wife didn't want to take the subway, but I had to.
I had to ride an NYC subway just to do it.
We took it from Times Square to Yankee stadium.
Took an Uber back to the hotel.

Times Square would be cool for the kids.
Something they won't forget..

Posts: 4360 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many great suggestions here and in the other referenced thread!

Look into the J.P. Morgan / Pierpont Library and Museum, for a fascinating look into his NYC home and personal library.

Grand Central Station is always an eye-opener. For as many times as I have been in it, it never gets 'old' being there.

Before you go to GCS, search the net for 'grand central station acoustics', to find the "whispering gallery". It's REALLY cool!!

Posts: 3476 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
For as many times as I have been in it, it never gets 'old' being there.

Most everyday for the last 25 years-yeah it gets old.

Posts: 102 | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post