SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Our prodigal son returns. (Kind of long.)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Our prodigal son returns. (Kind of long.) Login/Join 
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Prayers for continued progress!

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
A sincere thank you to you all. I think his moment was when his circumstances were deteriorating faster than his ability to lower his standards. At that moment he determined the drug life was a monkey trap. There was no prize. Let go and free yourself.

We say 'come to Jesus moment' but most times we don't actually mean come to Jesus. Before he graduated from high school he had abandoned spirituality, moral codes and religious instruction, choosing instead to follow his own wisdom. Somewhere along the line consequences from his 'wisdom' convinced him he needed a higher moral code. He found that again in the Christian manner of conduct. Any religious expression he does, comes from within him.

I am a realist. I know how demons are. I have my own. I know it's possible he could choose the demon again, but We Love him and are ever hopeful. We went for so many years not knowing about his wellbeing nor even where he was. To a parent that is a nagging hole in the heart. We are grateful for every moment we have with him now.

quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
Curious what his "come to Jesus moment" was. Was it on his own or has he been getting counseling? In either case congrats to you both and while the journey will be hard, the rewards will be many!

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Darth,

Best wishes for your son's recovery and for your family. Many years ago I had two friends that made the choice to get clean and stay clean from IV drug use. Never understood why they started, regardless they both knew they needed to change. Both lost almost everything to varying degrees.

It wasn't easy for either of them, one more than the other. Ultimately both did.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8103 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Man that’s really wonderful news!

Your boy and the rest of your family are in my prayers.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watched my older brother do the same thing to my folks.
He never really had that talk with them as far as i know. They have all passed now, he was a great burden to them in all the ways you have experienced. Here's hoping it continues to improve for him and the rest of your family. It's got to be a relief he's heading in the right direction.

Posts: 3595 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of usp_fan
posted Hide Post
I can only imagine the prayers offered by you and your wife over the years for your son. To be able to see their fullfillment in this life must be such a blessing. I'm sure his desire to reach out, make amends, and begin anew originated from the foundation you helped instill in him early in life. Thanks for sharing and stengthening for me my belief that prayer works and what we do as parents matters.

Posts: 2504 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: March 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Although it appears that a turnaround has occurred, I suspect it will be in the cards that you continue to keep an eye on him. I pray that he is able to continue his way along the straight path.

I did not experience it, but one of my close First Cousins went through a similar (but not as dire) situation spurred by alcohol addition. He was 3 years older than I and went away from home to school (a "party" school) and fell in with poor cohorts. He quit school and went west with a job and ended up one day in the gutter (his confession). He called his dad and requested to come home. His dad agreed, but laid down the laws: had to attend the local college (he and I had some classes together) and walk a taut line. It worked--we graduated together and he went on to be a success in a technical medical field.

Salvation does happen, but it is not always easy. Blessings on you and your son.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
You already went through the hard part; it's tough giving tough love. You have my respect.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
As someone who is going through a very rough spot with their son I wish you and he the best.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I’ve always seen your posts about your kids being so positive and thoughtful.
It must’ve broken your back to break ties with any of them.
I’m sad for what you’ve had to go through, and that you’ll always have that niggling fear for the relapse. It’s hard on you; it’s hard on him. I know.
I’ve struggled with my own family member for years now, and no matter how much love, there is now the taint of fear with every rebound, an anticipation of disappointment and heartbreak.

Guarding your heart against your very own and dearest.

I’m so very happy you have him home again, and that he’s trying again. That you were able to leave the door open, and that he recognized that he was still welcome, despite everything. Hope springs eternal. You are in my thoughts and prayers. The very best of luck that he continues this new trend.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good luck to him and hopes he stays strong. prayers for your family

Posts: 4765 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
DF, thanks for sharing this. Blessing to your son, you, and all of your family as your continue the journey. Saying a prayer for you all.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2104 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Darth, I've read your about your son on here before. I saw the title and read the first paragraph and kept saying to myself "please be a good story, please be good news, please." I'm so very happy he's home and hope and pray that this is the path he follows for the rest of his life.

What a blessing, I'll be praying for his continued success.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Darth, I've read your about your son on here before. I saw the title and read the first paragraph and kept saying to myself "please be a good story, please be good news, please." I'm so very happy he's home and hope and pray that this is the path he follows for the rest of his life.

What a blessing, I'll be praying for his continued success.

Thanks, brother. Smile We can rest easy about the Jr DFs that I've referenced here before this thread. Those guys are and have been in a good place. Except for counting him among our number as a family I haven't discussed Jr DF#1 because I had separated ourselves from him so completely that I had no idea what he was doing until word came. Usually it wasn't good. While it may seem cold to leave him to the world to batter, I knew it was the only way he'd learn. Not knowing was the worst. Mrs DF and I counted him in our prayers nightly with heavy hearts. Ever hopeful....

Anyway, he made us dinner last night to celebrate his birthday. "A gesture of gratitude for giving him life and a new start." in his words. Chicken alfredo with garlic vegetables and apple pie a la mode. Yum! He even did the dishes. Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snoris:
Prayers for continued progress!

Absolutely.

The story of the Prodigal Son is one of my favorites in the Bible.

It offers so much on several levels.

I wish you both the best.

----------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! and prayers.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
So glad to hear the direction this is going.

Not going to lie - the screen was a bit blurry when I read your post this morning. Growing up I saw families struggle with similar situations. As a parent, words cannot describe how difficult that must have been.

Hoping for the continued positive direction.

Posts: 1801 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
That's great news!
It's rare but every once in a while a person can really change.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's rare but every once in a while a person can really change.

I've seen a lot of it. It seems to only happen when their life is in real jeopardy/rock bottom.

Rarely is it the __________, but the person.

Congrats to the DF family.

Good news is easy to be grateful for; the difficulties maybe not so much - but a encompassing view is helpful IME.

For many families of addicts/alcoholics, Al-Anon or similar are there for the family - not the addict.

It's called recovery because it's never cured; much like cancer. As the saying goes, "The dragon is outside in the parking lot doing push-ups." Relapse is prevalent and common. I hope your son stays clean, or at least has the tools to recover again if he slips.

Addicts need refreshers on what life was like when using. It is human nature to only keep the good memories and forget the bad. I.e women would never get pregnant again if the truly recalled the pain and struggle. Addicts need the reminders of how bad it was e.g. meetings or talking with others who've walked a similar path.

It is stories like this that inspires resistance against those who wish that all addicts/alcoholics just die. There is cause for hope, and room for joy with people in these difficulties associated with a rampant disease.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Working his way to a happy ending story. Good for all of you.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post