SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Contemplating the value of carrying a fixed blade knfe in these troubled times
Page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Contemplating the value of carrying a fixed blade knfe in these troubled times Login/Join 
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Didn't really NEED one, but, just bought the last Kobun from Amazon.

Will make a nice addition to my Bug Out Bag.

Posts: 3698 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7629 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Buck came out with a sexy new stabby thing. I just ordered one up along with the Gerber Strong Arm when this thread started. I didn't need a new habit but what the heck. Now I'm looking at crossbows! Cool

Buy me

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8505 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^
I have been looking hard at these Buck knives, more so the tanto version. Seems like a good bang for the buck. Roll Eyes

I just think they look cool !

Posts: 779 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I have a nice Benchmade fixed blade that I keep in my flight bag. I carry a folding knife all the time but am also more diligent in carrying my P226 just about everywhere now.

Too many libtard regressives wandering around for my comfort

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of airborne19822003
posted Hide Post
A lot of big brand manufacturers outsource everything in China. You may have a stamp of 420HC and you get some brittle junk that hasn’t been properly heat treated.

LINK HERE

Check out Justin Case Tactical knives. My buddy owns the company. Made in USA, veteran owned, and never overpriced.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: airborne19822003,

Daniel
Cleveland, TN

Posts: 793 | Location: Cleveland, TN | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^Their soon-to-be released M-4 Tenasi piqued my interest. I'll have to continue to follow this thread.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rat2306,

Posts: 3203 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
I purchased a Galco Classic Lite shoulder harness and added their knife carrier to the magazine side (under my right arm). I put the knife carrier in backwards so it wouldn't interfere with access to the magazines for my pistol.

I mounted a Cold Steel OSS hilt down on the knife carrier at a slight angle so the hilt is in a great place for a quick draw.

This setup disappears under an unbuttoned cotton shirt worn over a t-shirt.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I've taken a couple of days work my way through this thread. I have a few Benchmade folders, wasn't going to get another Benchmade, and was looking through this thread for suggestions. To say there were many options is an understatement.

I did have 2 stipulations:

1. less than $125
2. made in America

Like it was some sort of cosmic fate, I ran across a thread by airborne19822003 about Justin Case Tactical. The timing worked out perfectly and I ordered both knives. They will be here later this week.

https://justincasetactical.com/collections/all

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I can't see carrying a fixed blade as the Benchmade automatic I carry clipped on my pocket has pretty much the same blade dimensions and is a lot easier to carry.

Along the same lines of thought about carrying a knife is the knowledge to use it. When I went through Jungle Warfare School, they taught some knife fighting but I'm pretty sure not many people have had any training in that area.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
As far as fixed blades go I’ve got a USMC Ka-Bar, Gerber Mark II, Cold Steel Chaos, CRKT Razel SS7, SOG Seal Team, DBK Badger, and an ESEE Izula.

With that selection, closest thing I have to a stout, indestructible, “jack of all trades” blade is the Ka-Bar, with its size it really isn’t something I would carry around town.

So, after going through this thread a third time, I’ve just ordered an ESEE 5 from The Knife Connection. I used their “build a knife” option to select blade and scales. Unfortunately they didn’t have the kydex sheath in stock, so getting it direct from ESEE.

Opted for the partial serrated blade and neon green with black handles.

Artists conception:

Can’t wait to get my hands on it.

That thing is badass beautiful!
Curious how the balance is?

________,_____________________________
*** Wanna make everything electric? Start with the border wall.

We all live for a little while and then die sooner than we planned.
Your way
or
YAHWEH

Posts: 1300 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Carrying a fixed blade is such a personal thing. When I was sitting at a table in Pucketts Restaurant in Franklin Tn wit the SWAT team from Columbia Sheriffs Department, they wanted the toughest, sharpest, most durable deadly tool with a consistent, dependable design. The design was submitted to the department. I think we achieved our objective. https://imgur.com/a/mQ8ksJ7
https://imgur.com/a/DHIKOyK

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Bought one of these on a whim, price was really low for what it looked like.

Anyway, when I got it I was very impressed with the blade, the knock off blade tech mount needs replaced as it is a bit flimsy....has not broke yet mind you. It's a bit short for serious social work but it's an ideal size for a utility fixed blade. They make a few different designs and I will be buying more of them.

https://www.amazon.com/Oerla-W...orting%2C202&sr=1-10

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sybo:
Carrying a fixed blade is such a personal thing. When I was sitting at a table in Pucketts Restaurant in Franklin Tn wit the SWAT team from Columbia Sheriffs Department, they wanted the toughest, sharpest, most durable deadly tool with a consistent, dependable design. The design was submitted to the department. I think we achieved our objective. https://imgur.com/a/mQ8ksJ7
https://imgur.com/a/DHIKOyK

Great design....you can do just about anything with it

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Received an email this week from a vendor; I'd ordered an Ontario M3 Trench Knife from them a year ago. Back-ordered then; but they will be receiving stock and shipping orders in September. This was to have been a nightstand knife, but...then I discovered the Cold Steel SRK. My card was charged when the order was placed; I'll keep it for a spare.

Posts: 3203 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
I'm sure someone has suggested the Glock knife by now. I have a few and enjoy them and they aren't expensive.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Only thing I don't like about the Glock knives is the sheath, as it takes 2 hands unless you modify the locking tab.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I've got literally drawers full of knives (it's a sickness) and carry a folder everywhere. Over the last year I've started carrying a fixed blade either in addition to or in place of the folder. Most often it is a smaller (well, for me, 4 inch or so blade) knife like a Falkniven F1, a fixed blade made by Sybo, or a Bark River Chute knife. Recently I bought a Blacktail from Lon Humphrey and it is becoming my constant companion. Super nice knife. It's in 52100 so it will rust if I'm not careful, but its a razor and a near perfect compromise in size and capability.

If I need something bigger I've got a Lon Humphrey Alpha (5 inches), an old Kabar beater (7 inches), a Bark River Recondo (7.5 inches) or a Humphrey Bell Bowie (little over 9 inches of the stabbiest blade ever made).

At work I'll usually have a small kerambit style blade somewhere on my off hand side. I've been in 4 fights over a gun in my career. I'm not interested in a fifth. Not without cheating.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rat2306:
M3 Trench Knife

I've always wanted one of those. But I have a couple "end of the world" knives that I can't really do much with, without running afoul of the law, so I don't really need another. Smile

quote:
Only thing I don't like about the Glock knives is the sheath, as it takes 2 hands unless you modify the locking tab.

Maybe just more practice? Never had much issue once you get used to it.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do believe in carrying stout fixed-blade knives, on and/or about my person, in these Troubled Twenties. A Glock knife is an inexpensive hole-puncher, to keep in a vulnerable place, such as a vehicle, which is exactly whee I have kept mine, for years. This one is the only one that would be anywhere near the price point established in the original post.

One my belt, daily, virtually everywhere, I have resumed toting a Shivworks Clinch Pick. It is legal, in Texas, and, in many environments, I can be casual about concealment, as it small enough that it does not spook folks, even the demographic in my urban professional residential area, a small city that is separate from Houston, but surrounded by Houston, a short distance west of the Texas Medical Center.

Between these two, I am experimenting with several stout daggers. Texas law became dagger-friendly in 2015, (IIRC,) with the last remaining annoyance in knife law being that blades longer than 5.5” are “location-restricted,” so one has to be cognizant that longer blades are prohibited in some few specified places. My favored dagger that is just under 5.5” is RMJ Tactical’s Raider. If this one is built anything like their ‘hawks, it should be quite stout.

In the category of longer than 5.5”, but still of reasonably portable size, I have yet to firmly settle upon anything.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rexster,

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3188 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post