SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dems in High-tax States trying to get around new Tax Law
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dems in High-tax States trying to get around new Tax Law Login/Join 
Picture of SigMaverick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:
Originally posted by SigMaverick:...

I think the same way about married taxpayers.

Or those with kids

Or college costs to take credits on

Or teachers freebee deductions

Or preferential tax rates for dividends or capital gains

Or those who defer taxes by saving for retirement

Anyone who takes one of the above entitlements is full on FSA Roll Eyes

And I am sure you voluntarily pay extra taxes every year just to make sure you don't get any freebies. Smile

In rough numbers the top 50% of the income earners pay 98% of the fed income taxes, so if your income is less than ~$59K per year, you are being subsidized.

And I might mention that dividends get a tax break because dividends are paid out of after-tax money. Corporations have already paid 1/3 of their income in taxes before they pay the dividend, for which they get no tax deduction. Thus dividends are taxed twice.

I'm not the one stating I am subsidizing those who deducted their Property, State and Local taxes on a Sch A.

This nonsense that someone who claims the standard deduction is subsidizing those who itemize based on taxes paid is absurd. Out and out simple-headed goofiness.

If you think living in Tennessee (or anywhere else where your total nonfederal tax paid is low enough) and think you are "subsidizing" those who pay more, but you take even a single red cent of my above list, you are FSA of the worst kind.

--------------------------

I own a bunch of Sigs with Beavertails...

Posts: 937 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigMaverick:
yone who takes one of the above entitlements is full on FSA Roll Eyes
Confused

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jodel-Time
Picture of Mboroman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Confused

FSA = Free Shit Army (according to Urban Dictionary)

Posts: 562 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
...but you take even a single red cent of my above list, you are FSA of the worst kind.

Yeah sure, dude. Whatever.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
My taxes are easy to do.

1. Total earnings for 2017. $_______
2. Total amount withheld for 2017. -$_______
3. Total amount paid to ex-wife for 2017. -$_______
4. Amount remaining for 2017. $_______

Please remit the amount in line four, payable to the IRS.

So easy, a monkey can do it.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigMaverick:...If you think living in Tennessee (or anywhere else where your total nonfederal tax paid is low enough) and think you are "subsidizing" those who pay more, but you take even a single red cent of my above list, you are FSA of the worst kind.

So a company makes $100K in pretax profit, pays $40K total in income taxes, leaving $60K in after tax income. They then pay that $60K in dividends to the owners of the company, which dividends get taxed at 15%, making an overall tax rate of 55%. And those people are FSA's of the worst kind???

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigMaverick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
My taxes are easy to do.

1. Total earnings for 2017. $_______
2. Total amount withheld for 2017. -$_______
3. Total amount paid to ex-wife for 2017. -$_______
4. Amount remaining for 2017. $_______

Please remit the amount in line four, payable to the IRS.

So easy, a monkey can do it.

It's going to be even easier if you make the ex post 2018.

No more deduction for alimony

Posts: 937 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigMaverick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Confused

quote what I said, or just make goofy sad faces all by themselves.

Picture of SigMaverick
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SigMaverick:...If you think living in Tennessee (or anywhere else where your total nonfederal tax paid is low enough) and think you are "subsidizing" those who pay more, but you take even a single red cent of my above list, you are FSA of the worst kind.

So a company makes $100K in pretax profit, pays $40K total in income taxes, leaving $60K in after tax income. They then pay that $60K in dividends to the owners of the company, which dividends get taxed at 15%, making an overall tax rate of 55%. And those people are FSA's of the worst kind???

Didn't say anything of the sort.

At least you quoted me completely.

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LoungeChair:
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
I never understood why low tax/fiscally responsible sates should subsidize high tax/irresponsible ones. You want freebies, pay for it yourselves.

What are you talking about?
Generally speaking, the high tax states subsidize the low tax states. Take a look at the chart. If your state is below the red line, then you live in a “welfare” state... accepting more from the federal government than you put in.

I think you are talking Apples and Coconuts. When jlgray3 and others talk about high tax states, they are referring to states that have high state income taxes. The graph you posted shows the average per capita Federal income tax paid. Looking at that, the average CA tax payer paid more in Federal taxes than the nationwide average (and that is before the limitation on deductions for state and local taxes and the limitation for mortgage interest kicks in). However, before one can say that CA (a high tax state by either definition) subsidies other states, you’d have to look at a chart similar to the one you posted that talks about how much money the Federal government sends to the various states.

Really, the most direct comparison would be raw numbers. How much money did each state send to the Federal government (through state payments, residents’ income taxes, etc) and how much money did each state receive from the Federal government (through grants, etc to the state, payments to individual residents, etc). It you are going to include social security and Medicare payments, include those taxes too. It would be a lot of accounting...

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Didn't say anything of the sort.

At least you quoted me completely.

Actually your list of FSA included those who get a preferential tax rate on dividends, which is the exact scenario I noted above.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigMaverick
posted Hide Post
I said if one cries that someone else shouldn't get a benefit in the tax code, but they take advantage of other perks in the code, they are FSA of the worst kind.

And to answer your round about question, qualified dividends didn't exist until 2004~ish. So yes, ever since 2004~ish those who pay tax on qualified dividends receive a "subsidy" in the same way those who deduct tax paid on a schedule A receive one.

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I never understood why low tax/fiscally responsible sates should subsidize high tax/irresponsible ones. You want freebies, pay for it yourselves.

Or those with kids

You missed my point completely. Noticed I said "states", not individuals. States can get away with higher taxation when they know the federal tax code allows it as a deduction. Higher state taxes are effectively subsidized.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3446 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigMaverick
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Or those with kids

You missed my point completely. Noticed I said "states", not individuals. States can get away with higher taxation when they know the federal tax code allows it as a deduction. Higher state taxes are effectively subsidized.

more little bastards are made because the bastard makers know they will get paid more effectively subsidized by us assholes without kids.

Marrying and filing a joint tax return effectively subsidizes the married couple at the expense of us single filing assholes.

I got your point, do you get mine?

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Frankly, calling folks names because they take advantage of what is allowed by the tax laws is counterproductive. Virtually all of us are overtaxed and it makes no sense to avoid taking whatever reductions that are legal--to do so is foolish. I frankly would support going back to taxation as originally planned--a fixed fee for every land owner--but that is not going to happen. Assuming that every citizen living in the USA has the same legal opportunities, I'd also support a fixed fee for every citizen, but that isn't going to happen, either. Any scheme where the rich and poor pay the same cannot fly, because the tax just cannot be high enough to support what the government is expected to do (even if stripped of all the welfare stuff).

That being the case, I try to support Congress critters who will craft tax programs I can tolerate, and then will attempt to use any provisions that will reduce what I have to pay. And I don't feel bad about doing it.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
Don't worry y'all, Cuomo is comin' to the rescue. Big Grin

quote:
New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said his administration plans to sue the federal government over the new Republican tax law, on the grounds that it’s unconstitutional because it discriminates against New York and other states that voted against President Donald Trump.

“Make no mistake, they’re robbing the blue states to give money to red states,” Cuomo said during his State of the State speech in Albany Wednesday. “It is an economic civil war. It is illegal and we will challenge it in court as unconstitutional.”

Cuomo, who described the Trump presidency as “the most hostile federal administration in history,” said the changes to state and local tax deductions in the bill will raise New Yorkers’ property and income taxes by at least 20 percent. The governor added that New York state already contributes $48 billion more annually to the federal government than it gets back.

Critics of the state and local tax deduction have said the break effectively lets the federal government subsidize high-tax states. The bill signed by Trump on Dec. 22 sets a new $10,000 limit on state and local tax deductions for federal income taxes starting on Jan. 1.

The impact of the tax law “is a question of New York’s economic viability long term, a question of New York’s competitiveness long term,” Cuomo said. “The threat from this federal government is not going to derail the great state of New York, I promise you.”

In addition to challenging the law as unconstitutional, Cuomo said he plans to start a campaign to repeal and replace the new tax law. And, he said he’s considering workarounds to respond to the changes, including restructuring New York’s current income and payroll tax system, and creating new opportunities for making charitable contributions to support public programs.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news...ok&utm_medium=social

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Or those with kids

more little bastards are made because the bastard makers know they will get paid more effectively subsidized by us assholes without kids.

Marrying and filing a joint tax return effectively subsidizes the married couple at the expense of us single filing assholes.

I got your point, do you get mine?

You are conflating inducements offered to individuals across all states with behavior of the states as a result of inducements. They are not the same.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pessimist:
quote:
Originally posted by cas

People are fleeing NY en masse

Really? That's news to me.

I have four acquaintances (separate households) in Westchester and Dutchess counties that pay over $90K per year in property tax.

New York had or still has a "view" tax. If your property has a view, that was an add on to your property tax and it was a considerable amount. Completely subjective and abused.

That's nuts, that is more than I make a year.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Otto Pilot:
Don't worry y'all, Cuomo is comin' to the rescue. Big Grin

quote:
New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said his administration plans to sue the federal government over the new Republican tax law, on the grounds that it’s unconstitutional because it discriminates against New York and other states that voted against President Donald Trump.

“Make no mistake, they’re robbing the blue states to give money to red states,” Cuomo said during his State of the State speech in Albany Wednesday. “It is an economic civil war. It is illegal and we will challenge it in court as unconstitutional.”

Cuomo, who described the Trump presidency as “the most hostile federal administration in history,” said the changes to state and local tax deductions in the bill will raise New Yorkers’ property and income taxes by at least 20 percent. The governor added that New York state already contributes $48 billion more annually to the federal government than it gets back.

Critics of the state and local tax deduction have said the break effectively lets the federal government subsidize high-tax states. The bill signed by Trump on Dec. 22 sets a new $10,000 limit on state and local tax deductions for federal income taxes starting on Jan. 1.

The impact of the tax law “is a question of New York’s economic viability long term, a question of New York’s competitiveness long term,” Cuomo said. “The threat from this federal government is not going to derail the great state of New York, I promise you.”

In addition to challenging the law as unconstitutional, Cuomo said he plans to start a campaign to repeal and replace the new tax law. And, he said he’s considering workarounds to respond to the changes, including restructuring New York’s current income and payroll tax system, and creating new opportunities for making charitable contributions to support public programs.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news...ok&utm_medium=social

Get the popcorn! Big Grin

Posts: 9041 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post