SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Boy Scouts Of America now open to girls
Page 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boy Scouts Of America now open to girls Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Dallas, is this about increasing body count? Can you tell me how BSA is financially sustained?

Posts: 107588 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
OMG, boys and girls together in SCOUTING - well not yet, but IT COULD HAPPEN.

We all know what a disaster coed SCHOOLS are, with activities like Band, choir, and so forth.

Most of the men I've seen tramping around as Boy Scout leaders would have a hard time humping 5 miles, much less 50.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dallas239:
Frankly, The LDS Church's decision to pull back from some scouting programs probably hastened these changes.

From my perspective, having been involved in one way or another in LDS Scouting since 1981, you have this backwards. No matter, when the total disconnect comes, the BSA will be free to sell out their core values to even more groups.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I grew sick of this when I was teaching middle school. BSA is caving. You talk about closed dens and crap all you want. They started caving when they refused years ago to just say, if born Male, every cell is Male and therefore a boy. Nope. Couldn't do it. They caved because money started leaving. Rather than deal with it and restructure, they continue to have more leave that's why dens are closing.

Because they have shown an amazing lack of courage over the past few decades they will dissolve and continue to be irrelevant.
No I am not afraid of boys and girls being in the same room. If you think that your a moron. I put my daughters up against 2/3's of these sissies. But that is my point.
Years ago I had a poster in my classroom and it showed all the presidents and prominent folk that were Eagle.

Our society is less without Boy Scouts. Simply because there will be fewer men.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3591 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
So now... my young son shall not join. Shame really. Guess I'll shoot guns with him

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

We all know what a disaster coed SCHOOLS are, with activities like Band, choir, and so forth.

Most of the men I've seen tramping around as Boy Scout leaders would have a hard time humping 5 miles, much less 50.

You don't understand.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29699 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Dallas, is this about increasing body count? Can you tell me how BSA is financially sustained?
The BSA has significant endowments, many of which are restricted to certain uses. It also has assets in the form of camps, etc. While this doesn't provide substantial revenue, it does help on the expense side. According to the BSA's 2016 financial report, fees made up about $114 million out of about $192 million in unrestricted revenue.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:
They started caving when they refused years ago to just say, if born Male, every cell is Male and therefore a boy.
That was last year.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

It would seem your experience is different than mine. Most Scout leaders I know of/worked with, both as a Scout and an Adult, were quite fit (however age does take a toll). And comparing Boy Scouts with school activities is like comparing apples with kumquats, a non sequitur, totally different roles and goals.

The founding purpose of BSA was to teach boys, and men, priorities such as Duty to God and Country, principles of honor and integrity and morality. I don't believe BSA National has that same focus today.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
After 14 pages it seems that it is time to respond. I'm an Eagle Scout, I have fond memories of my time in the Boy Scouts of America, and the principles that I learned there guide my life to this day.

For the most part, I've agreed with many of the decisions made by Scouting leadership. However I absolutely disagree with this one.

My position is simple. This decision by the B.S.A. leadership does nothing for Scouting but reinforce the current double standard in society. The 10th point of the Scout Law tells us to be Brave. Among many things one of the key tenants of this point is that a Scout stands up for what he believes in, even if others laugh at him or threaten him.

In my opinion the current Scouting leadership has bowed to pressure from political and other activist groups and lost focus on only on the purpose of the B.S.A, but also on standing up for the principles of the organization. They bowed to avoid negative media coverage that could damage the brand, and in doing so, wrecked the brand.

Clearly the Girl Scouts have no interest in letting boys be part of their organization, and as part of the double standard, that is fine with those outside of the B.S.A. who pushed this agenda. I understand that the Girl Scouts are actually quite upset about this decision as it will certainly impact their enrollment.

This was a bad decision that will lead to additional problems down the road for the organization. I do not support this decision or direction.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Damn. The world is sick and getting sicker. With girls in the mix, the whole thing about "clean, brave, reverent" gets that much harder. Poor young fellas.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8682 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
I have been a Scoutmaster, Asst Scoutmaster, Troop Committee Chair, District Order of Arrow Committee, Woodbadge, did a week at Philmont BSA High Adventure Camp. I am an Eagle Scout, as are my father, son, brother; and am currently serving as the Scout Committee Chair and Asst Webelos leader.

Maybe a good friend/neighbor put it best, a Silicon Valley computer nerd. He commented, re boys/girls, men/women, "The hardware is different, the software is different. God designed it that way for a purpose. They are to work together, in companionship, each contributing unique qualities, to raise families and to build communities.

Joint activities between boys and girls, young men and young women, is a wholesome and meaningful endeavor. But blending Scouts, ignorning gender, will likely demean meaningful gender distinctions; which in my view are God given, and in my view, necessary for wholesome societies. I think the related name change also suggests a continuing pattern that will further erode morals in society.

And in working with the Council here, I am convinced the motivation is money.

I made the mistake of giving up Scouting a couple of Merit Badges short of Eagle, a decision I have lamented bitterly for most of my life since.

It seems to me that you are mostly right about the money.

Maybe we weren’t as tuned in to it then, but in my youth people did things, or not, for reasons, motivations, other than money primarily.

Organized activities, on a national level, must support an outsized staff, office space, administrators, program directors, publicists, retirement plans, insurance, accounting, fund raising, far more elaborate than anything existing in our youth.

I notice this with other associations I have been with a long time. The ARRL, for amateur radio operators has expanded the headquarters head count enormously, and the costs even more so. It has become not an association but a business. It is now searching to replace its CEO, very costly.

I also notice that my generation was less likely to join various associations than my fathers group was, and my sons generation have been far less likely. Many of these groups will go away for no reason other than that seeming change in our culture.

I have always thought Boy Scouts was important and valuable in turning out young men with valuable skills, experience and values, and believe it is a serious diminution in our culture that those values, skills are no longer valued.

Life 50 years from now will not be like it is now, any more than life now is like it was 50 years ago.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Another experienced view:

quote:
Townhall.com
Scott Moreland
May 7, 2018

The first time I walked into a Boy Scout meeting as a boy of eleven is as ingrained in my mind as if it were yesterday. My Dad and I descended the moldy steps into the basement of an old Methodist church, opened the door, and walked in to the smell of freshly cut wood chips and the chopping sound of an axe hitting its mark. A group of ten or so boys around my age and older were gathered around a bearded, uniformed Scoutmaster who was showing them how to properly use a hatchet. We had arrived late, just to check out the goings-on. I wasn’t into sports, or much of anything really - except books - but a couple of my friends were Scouts and had invited me to their meeting.

“Want to give it a shot?” the Scoutmaster was looking at me and holding the axe out, handle first. Before walking over and taking it I tentatively looked at my dad, who pursed his lips and nodded approvingly. “Safety first,” the bearded man cautioned before he proceeded to show me how to cut the wood without cutting off any fingers in the process. As I performed that simple exercise, I remember thinking how cool it was to be trusted to wield what could be a pretty dangerous tool, and the responsibility made me feel bigger than my eleven years. But most of all I remember how doing what I perceived as “man-stuff,” surrounded by men and other boys, made me feel at least a little bit more like a man.

Those moments began what was to be a seven year adventure and the most significant non-school element of my pre-teen and teen-aged life. They were years filled with lots of “boy-stuff” under the watchful supervision of caring men and the camaraderie of other boys. Canoeing alone on a lake. Building campfires. Barely passing the ridiculously hard swim test at summer camp so I wouldn’t be the only kid not allowed on the water. S’mores. Dump cake. Hobo packets. Campfire stories. Games, teasing, and general rowdiness. Sleeping alone in the middle of the woods as a part of the Order of the Arrow Ordeal. Peeling myself out of a semi-warm sleeping bag on a freezing February morning in 1986 to watch Haley’s Comet pay a rare visit to Earth’s orbit. Picking up and sorting food for the hungry as a part of our annual food drive. Lugging a wooden sled across town to compete with other troops in Scouting skills contests, all of which involved plenty of cool “boy-stuff” like tying knots and building things.

There was a lot of “doing” in Scouting, but the ultimate goal was always the same. The Boy Scouts of America started in 1910 as a way to promote good citizenship and Christian morality, two years after Sir Robert Baden-Powell founded the movement in England. “We aim for the practice of Christianity in their everyday life and dealings, and not merely the profession of its theology on Sundays,” Baden-Powell wrote in Scouting For Boys.

The iconography was, in many instances, literally Norman 'Rockwellian,' from the chivalry of a crisply uniformed boy saluting the American flag or helping an old lady across the street to the Native American symbolism incorporated into the Order of the Arrow rituals. From the ceremonies to the symbols to the reading materials and skills learned - all were meant to teach, to prepare, but most of all to endear a heartfelt respect for our Creator, our family, our country, our environment, and the world around us.

In Scouting, progressing from rank to rank felt like it meant something, and I knew that becoming an Eagle Scout would be something I would cherish the rest of my life. Neil Armstrong was an Eagle Scout. So was former President Ford and our then-Tennessee Governor Lamar Alexander.

“Former Scouts have walked on the Moon, become President, and won the Heisman Trophy,” said President Reagan at a luncheon commemorating the group’s 75th anniversary in 1985. “Today they serve as Cabinet Secretaries, as my Press Secretary, and in the Congress. In fact, about two-thirds of the Members of the Congress have been in the Boy Scouts.”

I was proud to be a Scout, prouder still to earn my Eagle rank just before my 18th birthday.

But of course, as we all know, once social justice warriors gets their slimy tentacles into something their thirst is never quenched until that something is entirely destroyed, and such has it been with Boy Scouting ever since its clueless national leaders began leading the organization down that perilous cliff. From openly gay scout leaders to transgender members to just last Wednesday, when the organization officially announced a name change to Scouts BSA because, well, Boy Scouting isn’t just for boys anymore.

“We’re trying to find the right way to say we’re here for both young men and young women,” said hapless Boy Scouts Chief Scout Executive Mike Surbaugh. Because everyone is the same, don’t you know. Because little boys and little girls are, as far as today’s liberals are concerned, identical to each other in every possible way except a few ‘easily changeable’ body parts.

Of course, anyone with half a brain knows that boys and girls are different, but reason and common sense has never stopped a rabid social justice warrior from wanting to impose their twisted view of reality on the rest of us.

Ironically, their attack on Boy Scouting has also hurt the other group founded by Baden-Powell and his sister, Agnes - Girl Scouts. Though the decision to allow girls was applauded by various progressive and feminist groups, Girl Scout representatives themselves are less than amused. "The Boy Scouts' house is on fire," Girl Scouts told ABC News in a statement last October when the decision to allow girls was first announced. "Instead of addressing systemic issues of continuing sexual assault, financial mismanagement and deficient programming, BSA's senior management wants to add an accelerant to the house fire by recruiting girls."

Imagine, girls wanting a place to come of age and be themselves without the immaturity and awkwardness of gross boys. Imagine, girls wanting to do "girl-stuff."

Granted, some of this “boy and girl stuff” overlaps. Obviously, girls can canoe, camp out, and do pretty much anything a boy can, if she wants. But whether it’s a sports team or Boy or Girl Scouting, groups formed based on gender can provide a healthy, nurturing place for kids to come of age, not suppressing their God-given instincts and preferences but rather celebrating them and learning how to express themselves and function socially within the training wheels of those of their own gender.

Because try as liberals might to erase it, gender is and will always be “a thing.”

“The benefit of the single-gender environment has been well-documented by educators, scholars, other girl- and youth-serving organizations,” writes the Girl Scout blog, and they couldn’t be more on point. Check out this list of advantages of single-sex schools, a privilege only available to the rich. Sports teams provide similar life experiences, of course, but that wouldn’t have been an option for 80’s me.

Sadly, ‘2018 everybody’ will no longer have the option, at least as far as Boy Scouting is concerned.

I am grateful for Scouting and what it meant to me growing up. But I am also angry at what liberals have turned the group into, as well as the fact that, a decade from now, it very likely won’t exist. Because tragically, the Boy Scouts’ stubborn march to ‘inclusivity’ at any cost has managed to gut the organization of what made it special in the first place, which inevitably reminded me of this key quote from the movie The Incredibles -

“If everyone is special, no one is.”

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Apparently the LDS Church is set to announce a formal split with BSA. The church supports a huge percentage of troops. This may be the financial death knell for BSA.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Looks like the disconnect will occur in January 2020.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dallas239:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
The BSA has significant endowments, many of which are restricted to certain uses. It also has assets in the form of camps, etc. While this doesn't provide substantial revenue, it does help on the expense side. According to the BSA's 2016 financial report, fees made up about $114 million out of about $192 million in unrestricted revenue.
I believe one of the income sources is the residuals from performances of "God Bless America". Irving Berlin gave that song to Kate Smith (who made it famous, and still IMHO "owns" it); Kate, in turn, gave it to the Boy Scouts of America. (So I have been told.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fatmanspencer:
So now... my young son shall not join. Shame really. Guess I'll shoot guns with him

Check out Trail Life USA. I am not endorsing it, but just passing on info as I was recently made aware of it:

http://www.traillifeusa.com

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TigerDore,

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
I have been a Scoutmaster, Asst Scoutmaster, Troop Committee Chair, District Order of Arrow Committee, Woodbadge, did a week at Philmont BSA High Adventure Camp. I am an Eagle Scout, as are my father, son, brother; and am currently serving as the Scout Committee Chair and Asst Webelos leader.

Maybe a good friend/neighbor put it best, a Silicon Valley computer nerd. He commented, re boys/girls, men/women, "The hardware is different, the software is different. God designed it that way for a purpose. They are to work together, in companionship, each contributing unique qualities, to raise families and to build communities.

Joint activities between boys and girls, young men and young women, is a wholesome and meaningful endeavor. But blending Scouts, ignorning gender, will likely demean meaningful gender distinctions; which in my view are God given, and in my view, necessary for wholesome societies. I think the related name change also suggests a continuing pattern that will further erode morals in society.

And in working with the Council here, I am convinced the motivation is money.

Well said, Scoutmaster. Thank you for your post and for helping create a wholesome society for all of those years.

quote:
"If girls truly are every bit as capable as boys then they should be able to create a quality scouting program."
"Those sound like excellent reasons to not dilute the Boy Scouts by adding girls."

The problem with the Girl Scouts is that it has been infected with whatever virus causes feminists and leftists to lose their minds. The Girl Scouts have become a leftist indoctrination group. It would be a shame to see the Boy Scouts go down that same path.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24116 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I can see a NEW Scout organization starting up without all of this PC crap and dedicated to the basic principles it started with.

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:....The problem with the Girl Scouts is that it has been infected with whatever virus causes feminists and leftists to lose their minds. The Girl Scouts have become a leftist indoctrination group....

That is consistent with our experience with our daughter in Brownie Girl Scouts, the leaders were staunch feminists. After a couple of years our daughter decided to "drop out".

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post