SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ever witness/participate in a bar fight?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ever witness/participate in a bar fight? Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
Now that he's gone, I've been thinking about my dad a lot.

One of my favorite memories was something we witnessed about 20 years ago. Deer hunting with my dad there was a 'bar' smack dab in the middle of the woods; dad and I would go there after hunting for beer and burgers. On this particular evening there were 3 HUGE lumberjack looking dudes sitting at the bar. They were facing outboard, watching the bar, minding their own business, just sipping beer.

This very drunk little guy (the top of his head probably was chest high on these dudes) comes up to one of them and says, "Hey! You're a pretty big guy. I bet I can kick your ass!".

Lumberjack dude is so cool he does not even put his beer down, he simply reaches down with his free hand, wraps it over the top of little-guy's head and says, "Go sit down little man." And then without letting go of his skull, lumberjack rotates littleman 180 degrees and in a surprisingly gentle motion, pushes littleman back towards his table. (where he goes and stays).

That's the story. No fight, but it could have ended very differently if Lumberjack had been in a worse mood. My dad and I decided that Lumberjack must have gotten a nice deer that morning and didn't want to spoil his weekend by fighting. One of the coolest "bar fights" I've ever seen.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Having been in the nightclub business I have been in and witnessed several.

We once had a large biker type start to pummel another customer. I was the first to reach him, and in a failed attempt at an arm lock ended up hanging from his wrist. He continued to hit the other guy a few times with my 150 pounds swinging from his arm. Luckily my staff was a few seconds behind me and got everybody separated.

Everybody, including the guy who was getting the worst end of that deal, was pretty impressed that the big guy could still swing that hard with that kind of weight at the end of his arm. Big Grin

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15718 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Yes and yes.

But it's been years.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my late teens - 20s I was in several melees. Indoors, outdoors.

Took some blows, dished out some blows. It pays to keep moving and not get fixed in one spot.

Nothing really spectacular either way, but it does get the adrenaline going.

Now I have too much to lose.

------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
In high school there was a little beer joint just over the county line that would sell us beer even though they knew we were not of age. It was popular with the local loggers and pulp haulers. Had a few skuffles there. In my early 20's I ran the bar scene pretty hard in Houston, then Austin. Had a few tussles along the way. Got my ass handed to me pretty good in front of Wild West, a place we hit 3 nights a week for a year or more, one night after drinking way to much and talking shit to the wrong cowboy.

Had a ton of fun, kept all my teeth and grew out of it at about 25 years old....

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I haven't been involved in a barroom brawl since my time in the Army in the late 60's. Nothing brutal, just young guys with to much machismo and beer in their belly.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was stationed on Okinawa, we used to hit the local bars. I am 6'4" and at that time weighted about 225. I did not drink.

Inevitably the smallest drunk in the place would try to pick a fight with me. It always ended very quickly and violently.

I quit going to any bars. It was not worth getting in trouble, ending up in the brig, or worst.

The best times were sitting at a table, having someone come over trying to start a fight, me standing up, not saying a word, and watching them quickly change their mind and slink away.

What could go wrong? Marines, Sailors, Army, booze and tetestorin.

Sgt. USMC 1970 - 1973

Posts: 411 | Location: Columbiana, Ohio  | Registered: May 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
I was in a stop joint, small seedy type, around 2:00 am and a fight breaks out between a group of patrons and the security staff. Chairs flying, guy gets slammed on a table table breaks, all the while we are giving the stripper singles to try to keep her on stage. When the glasses and bottles started flying, she got down on all fours and crawled around picking up her cash and then got off stage.

Police came, and ran us out of there.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best I saw was a tiny Asian stripper run out of the club in full heels and beat the shit out of some drunk lady on the sidewalk. Don't know what they were beefing over but I can still hear that lady's head hit the ground. Bouncer got the stripper back in the club. Cops showed up and the drunk lady gave them a go too. She went 0-2 that night.

As a little dude with a pretty face I steer clear of nonsense. I got nothing to prove.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Kid I went to high school with got killed with a knife in a fight at a bar (over nothing) when we were in college. I started drinking beer on my front porch after that. Cheaper and much safer.

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Kid I went to high school with got killed with a knife in a fight at a bar (over nothing) when we were in college. I started drinking beer on my front porch after that. Cheaper and much safer.

Older brother of a kid I went to school with got killed with a knife in bar fight in Houston too. I knew both brothers well, we grew up in the same neighborhood.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
Yes and, because I knew where the door was, no.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I don't tell this story often, but I feel like you all will get it.

I worked the door/bounced at a club called the Moby Grape here in Las Vegas from about 1979 until January 1, 1982. As you might guess there was plenty of knuckleheading going on there. I'm not a big guy, 5'11", and about 190 at the time. Someone always wanted to put me to the test.

New Year's Eve 1981 was roaring as you'd expect, & there were a few that had to be asked to leave. Among those were some guys who proclaimed their objection by informing me they were coming back with a gun. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I heard that a couple of times a month. These guys did in fact come back with a gun. Before they made it to the front door of the club they traded words with some people in the parking lot who'd witnessed their justified expulsion. In a minute one of them shot a good guy in the head & he died a couple of days later.

I knew him personally. He was the drummer for a band that played there frequently.

I went into a funk for awhile after that.

That was the last night I worked the gig.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
As close as I ever came was a co-worker when I was a telephone lineman. He rode bulls, back before it was popular, on the weekends for something to do and extra cash. Of course much of the extra cash went to get him out of trouble or pay for the damages he created.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately I wasted too much of my younger days in bars so yes and yes.

Fortuneteller I managed to grow up.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3851 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
seen but not been. As to that lumberjack in the OP, lots of big guys have that same issue, little drunk guys wanting to take them on.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I worked in a strip joint for a little while.

On a couple occasions customers thought they could put their hands on the dancers on or off stage, that did not go well for those guys.

I arm-locked one guy while the manager pummeled his face - broke his nose and bleeding everywhere, he wanted to fight so he got the shit beat of him. This other guy was pretty drunk so I knocked him down and dragged him out by his feet down the stairs - donka, donka, donka. Both of these guys were hauled off to jail by the deputy Sheriff.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Went to college with a guy who ALWAYS needed to start a fight after he had been drinking beer for an hour or so...

He was big and tall and a college wrestler, so he could hold his own or win most of the time. Last time I was willing to drink with him was when the dude he picked on pulled out a wicked long blade. We all dragged our drunk friend out of there to keep him from getting slit open. I refused to go drinking with him after that...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Witnessed a few, mostly college crap. Daytona Beach spring break, Panama City spring break, the thing I learned from watching those fights is this; there are people who think they can fight and people who CAN fight. Sometimes who can tell which person is which. Sometimes you can't.

I saw a kid who looked on the smallish side completely take down and make a huge dude his bitch. I learned later the smaller dude was a college wrestler. He actually made the big dude cry.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
I was caught up in a couple in college and worked briefly as a bouncer. It wasn't my thing, but fortunately I wasn't drunk while the other participants were. As your story indicates, alcohol makes even the smallest fellow ten feet tall and bullet proof.

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post