SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Quinoa – a new-to-me food
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quinoa – a new-to-me food Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patriot:
Like eating dirt...

BLEH!

You may be right. I don’t eat dirt, so I wouldn’t know.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8952 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Villebilly Deluxe
posted Hide Post
My wife makes a great quinoa kale salad. It has onions, feta and pomegranate seeds, tossed in honey mustard dressing. Very tasty. I was very skeptical at first, but it’s actually good. I do deliberately mispronounce it kweeno, just to aggravate her. It never gets old.

Posts: 393 | Location: Bluegrass State | Registered: February 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
I like it with bacon.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Well duh. I could eat dirt with bacon. Smile

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
I find Kasha has more flavor

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1631 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I am neutral on the taste of the stuff. It is fine, but I wouldn't seek it out.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
By itself it tastes like I imagine lawn clippings would.
Somehow the stuff in the high end frozen entrees is mighty good. Check out Power Bowls, Healthy Choice, etc.

Would love to learn how to make the same dishes with my instant pot, but as yet I've not seen recipes that I think would do it.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Not long ago, there was a thread about Vienna sausages here in the Lounge. It prompted me to reacquaint myself with those little sausages – I liked ’em. (Libby’s)

And a few weeks ago it occurred to me that Quinoa + Vienna sausages would be a tasty combo. And it is!

I steam my Quinoa. It comes out fluffy and tender with no free water. I slice the sausages to 1/4” lengths, then put the slices, the broth, and black pepper into the Quinoa and mix all together. Flat out good!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8952 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like it substituted for all or part of the cracked wheat in tabbouli. Turns the tabbouli into a pretty complete summer easy “take with” refrigerated lunch with some feta crumbled into the salad. By the time it is marinated with all the other ingredients/veggies it is pretty much indistinguishable.

Posts: 401 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
FYI, It's not low-carb. It has more than brown rice & almost as much as white rice.

From WebMD:
Quinoa and Carbs
It’s not a low-carb food. A cup of cooked quinoa has more than 39 grams of carbohydrates. That’s 50% more than in the same amount of brown rice and almost as many carbs as in white rice.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vinnybass,

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Minute Rice has a product called Rice and Quinoa:

https://minuterice.com/products/rice-quinoa-instant/

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Minute rice....isn't rice Wink

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would double check your carb numbers. Most sites show quinoa slightly lower in carbs than brown rice and way lower than white.

Overall it’s hard to argue quinoa isn’t a healthier choice than either brown or white rice.

I never eat quinoa by itself. Of course I also don’t really eat rice by itself either. As for couscous it seems silly to compare pasta to grains. Of course pasta tastes better. So do Snickers bars. The way my wife seasons quinoa I think it tastes very good. Nothing like grass clippings. Kale tastes like grass clippings. No way to make it taste good unless you “hide” it in food.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pedropcola,

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I often use quinoa as a base in my 'lunch bowl' with fresh sliced red bell pepper, any number of other ingredients from mostly salad stuff to proteins.

I've come to prefer it in place of rice much of the time.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Biochemical
Superfreak
Picture of M4Super90
posted Hide Post

115 + 115 = 230

Posts: 3675 | Registered: April 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
.hsph.harvard.edu
i avoid anything harv ard says

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Pigweed seeds, NTTATWWT.

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
.hsph.harvard.edu
i avoid anything harv ard says

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GNRo-IbQ1Jo" title="YouTube video player" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

What’s your point? I cited the Harvard.edu article only to provide some support for my statement that quinoa has all nine of the essential amino acids.

If you are disputing that statement, then you are wrong.

If you’re not disputing it then your post is non-relevant thread clutter.

Serious about crackers

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
This looks pretty good: (4 minute video)
Quinoa fried “rice”

https://youtu.be/MMLR51t7yqw

Serious about crackers

Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
My wife found that its better if you toast it slightly in a dry pan before adding water and cooking it.

Then add salt, butter, garlic etc to improve the flavor.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post