SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Comm Radio(s) Needed...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Comm Radio(s) Needed... Login/Join 
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
I'm looking for radios with similar needs as boz, this has been a great informative thread.

How does the Retevis RT87 compare with this Baofeng BF-A58?

https://www.amazon.com/Mengshe...20MHZ/dp/B071KFB6SP/

From what I can see one of the biggest differences is the 4W output for the RT87 vs the 8W output for the BF-A58. I came across it from watching this good video about different ways to connect your radio to a headset:

https://youtu.be/2x38YwAYXjU?t=1

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
About to make a purchase myself. Probably going with the Rt87

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7943 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
holy smokes my programming cable shipped!
should arrive on wednesday!

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1541 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett B:
I'm looking for radios with similar needs as boz, this has been a great informative thread.

How does the Retevis RT87 compare with this Baofeng BF-A58?

https://www.amazon.com/Mengshe...20MHZ/dp/B071KFB6SP/

From what I can see one of the biggest differences is the 4W output for the RT87 vs the 8W output for the BF-A58. I came across it from watching this good video about different ways to connect your radio to a headset:

https://youtu.be/2x38YwAYXjU?t=1

Based on the pictures, it looks to be a waterproofed version of the standard BF radios. I had several, none of them ever came close to a true 8w output, max on the ones I checked was 6.5 or so. My RT87 all put out over 4w.

RT87 have better keypad and display. I guess it would depend on cost, since the amazon link you included shows as “unavailable” with no price listed don’t know what they are asking.

I would only consider if tight budget and lower cost than the RT87, the claimed 8w won’t be worth a nickel to me knowing it likely isn’t there and whatever increased power it might have would like insignificant, especially using an HT antenna.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10938 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got an extra programming cable for the Retevis RT87 if anyone wants it. First come...first served. Email is in profile, but say something here, please, so I know to check.

Posts: 343 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: April 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DBabsJr:
I've got an extra programming cable for the Retevis RT87 if anyone wants it. First come...first served. Email is in profile, but say something here, please, so I know to check.

I’ll take it. Let me know how much. Thanks!

I didn’t see an email in your profile.

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer

Posts: 7943 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My bad...it wasn't public.

Posts: 343 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: April 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I sat for the Technician exam last night and got a call sign assigned today...KD2URZ.

Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
quote:
I sat for the Technician exam last night and got a call sign assigned today...KD2URZ.

Congrats dude!

Posts: 1541 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:

Congrats! Cool

quote:
Originally posted by creslin:
holy smokes my programming cable shipped!
should arrive on wednesday!

Just got the same notification for mine!

The chapter on circuitry notation has been kicking my butt. All the symbols are melting my brain. I got an app for my iPad called "HamStudy" that has been really helpful.

Posts: 751 | Location: Free State of Utah | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pcshooter:

Nice rig! I got that same blood type Big Grin

Posts: 10938 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
My bad...it wasn't public.

Email sent.

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer

Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
Thanks 911Boss, the BF-A58 was in stock for $44 at the time I posted the link.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcshooter
posted Hide Post
You guys with the Retevis RT87...do any of you know the default password for the programming software? A search yielded '00000000' but to no avail. Same with '500000'.

911boss was kind enough to share his .dat file with me, but the software won't even let me 'read' the radio, let alone 'write'.

Any help appreciated.

Posts: 751 | Location: Free State of Utah | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
just leave the password field blank

Picture of pcshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:

Tried. No joy.

Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
that's odd.
blank worked for me on all of them

Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pcshooter:
quote:

Tried. No joy.

Should be just blank. Confirming you are using the RT87 software from Retevis site?

If you did enter password, maybe uninstall/reinstall and try fresh.

Also confirm you have right com port selected. It doesn’t always select the right one by default

Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Yes thanks for this! Going back through this thread again. Lots of great info - you guys are so generous sharing your knowledge and experience. My kids got me two Retevis RT87 radios for my birthday and one came with a programming cable so Im going to start playing with Chirp.

Continuing to study for my technician license shooting for testing before end of year!

PS I saved the RT87 shortcuts to a pdf including the pics and put it on my website

http://www.chromatin.us/Retevi...amming-Shortcuts.pdf

Also I like the Ham Radio Crash Course Channel - very good info.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
Here is a quick and dirty “How To” for Boz, Creslin, and anyone else reading this thread who decides to go with the Retevis RT87

Holy shit dude.
That's way above and beyond!

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now that you guys have a FCC amateur license and a VHF/UHF radio, download from the Internet "Repeaters near me" or RepeaterBook App.

And, have fun...

KJ7FTH.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post