SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Who else is loving their cast iron cookware
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who else is loving their cast iron cookware Login/Join 
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted
Over the last 20 plus years I have gone through many many non stick fry pans. The only ones that had lasted were the ones I bought from my friends commercial restaurant supply company.
This last month I finally took the plunge and bought several Lodge cast iron fry pans. They were not that expensive compared to some of the non stick pans I have bought in the past.
I have cooked everything from eggs,pancakes,chicken,pork roast and a lot of other foods with no sticking problem.
So far I am very happy.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
We switched over to a gas range two years ago and cook on cast iron almost exclusively now. Really like it.

Posts: 1958 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
I've got one I use weekly for breakfast casseroles. My wife and I will either eat them or she will take it for lunch. The never using soap creeps me out a little but at this point this one is pretty well seasoned and shit tastes delicious coming out of it Big Grin

Posts: 1772 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cruiser68:
I've got one I use weekly for breakfast casseroles. My wife and I will either eat them or she will take it for lunch. The never using soap creeps me out a little but at this point this one is pretty well seasoned and shit tastes delicious coming out of it Big Grin

Yea cleaning is a little different. I use a little water and a scrub brush. No soap and a little oil when I am done.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All we cook with is cast iron

idem ea dixit

Posts: 1390 | Location: Daphne, AL | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Me & Old Blister/MySweetBride bought a couple different sized cast iron skillets for home & camping life over 40 years ago. We don't use any other style.

The Dutch Ovens were added about 30 years ago. They don't get as much use now as when we were more active outdoorsy.

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Favorite here is a well-seasoned Lodge Signature skillet. Somewhat unconventional in that they have stainless handles. They're also discontinued.

Would love a Griswold or other vintage pan but have never come across any locally and online prices are plain nutz!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16215 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a couple 10-12 year old Lodge frying pans, a griddle or two and a dutch oven.

I also have a few Griswold frying pans that 3-4 generations old and they are my go to when cooking with cast iron.

Posts: 921 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
I inherited some that are easily 60-80 years old. Such a difference in the pans compared to the lodges I have. They are smooth as glass with a very good seasoning. A light film of coconut oil each time I wash them, when they are still warm from the hot water - perfect.

One thing I learned early on with my lodge Dutch oven is not to cook acidic food in them. When I cooked chili it took the seasoning right off and that thing rusted like a bitch - while it was cooking! A whole pot of inedible chili. Mad Not to mention all the work to get it back to a usable piece.

I've been tempted to try and tack a sander or grinder to my lodges to put an old time smooth finish on them.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12933 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
I cook on a cast iron skillet I bought 2 years ago, and I still haven't achieved non-stick nirvana. In fact, it's not even close! I'm jealous of you guys who can cook anything without it sticking.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
I love our cast iron. Easy to use, easy to clean, simple to season, and healthier, in my opinion.

When coatings on non-stick pans wear off, where do they go other than into the food?

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
I cook on a cast iron skillet I bought 2 years ago, and I still haven't achieved non-stick nirvana. In fact, it's not even close! I'm jealous of you guys who can cook anything without it sticking.

The lodge pans I bought come pre seasoned. I still use just a very little oil in my pan before I start to cook. They say to do this in the beginning. So far so good.

NRA Life Member

Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I could watch this guy's video over and over.....

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
I could watch this guy's video over and over.....

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/j6Tz3HnnCFs" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Great video thanks.

NRA Life Member

Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
My Griswold is over a century old and gets used at least once a day. I also have a collection of assorted enameled cast iron (dutch oven is great for baking crusty bread in!), and while h helping my mom move recently she gave me her mother's dutch oven. It's of undetermined antiquity and I remember many batches of chili and other goodness coming forth from that humble vessel.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cast iron pans are almost indestructible. When I was in professional school, a roommate put my cast iron pan on a burner with the gas set on high. Then he forgot about it, went out and came back 8 hours later. When he returned the pan was red hot and the house did not catch on fire.

I still use that pan often, I notice no damage.

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Bought my wife a Matfer Bourgeat for Christmas, its black steel, lighter than cast iron and heats up quicker. I love this thing!

We are trying to get away from any of the coated pans, we also use our old cast irons a lot as well.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3642 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neel
posted Hide Post
Just last evening I fried up 7 chicken legs in a Griswold #10 cast iron pan.

Tomorrow being Sunday is the day I usually make waffles from scratch which are cooked in a #8 Griswold stove top waffle maker.

Posts: 559 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Me. I bake with it, I cook with it.

Posts: 1854 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not much on cast iron skillets, right now. But I have two Lodge cast iron loaf pans that are great for bread baking!

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1527 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post