SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    FBI poll.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FBI poll. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
That was great!

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stray Round:
Lawyers and accountants with guns.

What could go wrong?

Uhh. No. J. Edgar Hoover died decades ago.

Many FBI Agents are former state and local LEO’s and a significant percentage are veterans.

Speaking of veterans, there is a recruiting program specifically recruiting .MIL spec ops personnel. Cuber and technical skills are a another big recruiting target but you will find engineers, medical professionals etc.

Like every agency, many of those who seek leadership positions, particularly in DC are political animals and are not necessarily representative of Agents in the field.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Most agents are fine, I think, (I know only one, but I think he is probably typical), but it is totally politicized and corrupt at the top-- where it matters most.

Disband it, burn the old buildings and scatter the ashes to the wind. Lock up Comey and Mueller. Start fresh.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Given the news recently I am surprised my first choice got 10 votes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Bruce Ohr and his wife working for Fusion GPS allegations have broken since I voted earlier and I want to lower my vote. Can you put in "I think more highly of dogshit" as a choice?

The part I find really distressing is this: We all try and follow the laws. As gun owners, we have many more to follow than most people. They can be confusing and difficult to figure out, and sometimes I see people like on Sigforum extensively arguing over what a law really means and the beast way to be in compliance, but we all try and do the right thing.

A BUNCH of those assholes in the FBI didn't do the right thing. In fact, they clearly stepped way over the line and with a hearty FUCK YOU TO THE VOTERS CLEARLY BROKE THE LAW, in a big and major way. Have any of those lawbreakers paid a price? No. It's total bullshit and my opinion of the FBI has taken a dive. I know there a plenty of good agents, and everyone has a rotten apple in the basket once in a while, but this fucking rotten basket has shitloads of rotten apples and no one is stepping up to fix it and bring justice.

It's so deeply and horrifyingly wrong.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/...rom-the-fbi-n2422639

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
The agency should be disbanded and elements rolled into a new agency or other agencies

Funnily enough, there was more than a couple members here just a few years ago, at the height of the "Obama's creating a private army of federal LEOs to shut down the lead smelters, confiscate our guns, and put us all in FEMA concentration camps" hysteria, who were repeatedly pounding the drum of:

"There's no need to have multiple federal LE agencies... They should just disband them and roll all their duties into the FBI."

And yet here we are just a couple years later, with the complete opposite sentiment. Big Grin

I recall some of those discussions. IIRC, some of the frustration stemmed from fast and furious, and the lack of accountability surrounding fast and furious. It was thought that a little consolidation might help with accountability. At the same time, it seemed like ever federal office was arming up with a law enforcement branch. For example

By the way, does anyone know how many federal law enforcement agencies exist?

How many are there?

It's difficult to find this answer. But the number is something north of 50, and maybe even north of 100. That's FEDERAL alone. Seems like a high number. Maybe we need more than just one federal law enforcement agency, but do we really need so darn many as we have now?

Do we still have the National Institute of Standards and Technology Police? Can't NIST just borrow some cops from the Amtrak Police Department, or the US Park Police. I know, I know, different federal departments. But does it really matter>

I

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10926 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure if NIST has a police force, but I set my Seiko mechanical to their time once a month.

Should I be doing it sooner? Will they come after me? Smile

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
I'm not sure if NIST has a police force,

Um, yes, they do... which is why I used it as an example Roll Eyes
http://www.boulder.nist.gov/police/Police_Service.htm

Again, do we really need so many FEDERAL Police agencies? Each with it's own overhead.

Shut some down, drain the swamp a little.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10926 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
We need ONE federal police agency, to go after crimes commited across state lines. That is all. Like the FBI used to be. Other than that it should be the state and local guys.

There are WAY too many federal agencies with guns for my liking.

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I know someone who was suspected of being the Uni-bomber back int he 80's... the FBI's method for seeing if this person was the uni-bomber was to go to his house, knock on the door and ask him if he was the bomber......

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The FBI has been corrupt since as long as I can remember.

Hover kept an enemy list.

Boston office was paid off by whitey Bulger.

Hillary and her friends are above the law.

It is good to have friends in high places.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
There are no "good" FBI agents. Anyone who sees fit to work for a corrupt, traitorous, American hating agency that wipes its ass with the constitution is just as bad as their leadership has turned out to be.

Fuck the FBI.

Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Do not confuse working field agents with the HQ snake pit. So many at the top are infected with Potomac Fever. I have known and worked with many FBI agents at the line level. While Some are arrogant and believing their own PR bullshit, the vast majority are dedicated professionals and honorable patriots. Most have a highly tuned BS detector. In private they will tell you of their disdain for HQ politics. I suspect it was line agents who dropped the dime on Hillary's crimes. I know the rank and file were outraged by Comey giving her a pass. It pains me to see the agency shredded by the actions of a few political hacks at the top. I think the only thing that will save their credibility is a major house cleaning and culture change at the top.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Well, just like I wouldn't work for a boss who diddled little kids, I sure as hell wouldn't work for one that shits all over the American people and says "fuck the Constitution, I'm the FBI!"

Plenty of jobs out there. They stay, they condone it. They're all corrupt.

Fuck the FBI.

BBQ Sauce for Everyone!
Picture of TKO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Listen, I don't want you to take this the wrong way, but Fuck You, OK?

Far be it from me to take it the wrong way. I'm just thankful for such mature and intelligent conversation. That's the backbone of the whole movement.

Well, bless your little heart.

When someone begins a conversation in an insulting manner, they don't get to claim a lack of intelligent response. It is obvious you do not like the sitting President. It is however unclear how that applies to the current discussion.

Do you walk up to a man on the beach and tell him you think his wife is a whore because she is wearing a bikini, and are surprised when his first instinct is to knock your teeth out of your mouth?

Intelligence... Maturity... Neither of those are found in the definition of internet troll.

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

Posts: 8121 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
This is about the most common logical fallacy committed, drawing conclusions from the specific to the general, and from the general to the specific.

Some FBI agents misbehave, so they are all rotten and corrupt. A team of FBI agents perform above and beyond, so they are all noble heroes, and patriots.

This demonstrates that the person is reacting emotionally rather than thinking logically.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
^^^^ I would argue that with respect to an organization like the FBI, with the power and resources that it commands, extrapolating from the specific to the general is less a logical fallacy than it is a risk calculation.

In the abstract, certainly it is illogical to apply a small set of specific instances across a large organization. From a risk analysis calculation, however, each piece of misconduct raises the possibility that your next interaction with the organization will be with a "bad apple". Coupled with specific instances of evidence of a lack of accountability across the executive agencies of the government (FBI, DEA, EPA, IRS, etc.) which might logically tend to encourage proper conduct, this risk calculation becomes more fraught.

I don't know if you would advise a client to submit to a "conversation" with the FBI or not. In the current climate, I would not; at least without significant conditions in place, such as presence of a lawyer, on the client's home ground, with a court reporter present. Otherwise, get a subpoena that we can challenge or limit the scope of inquiry.

Given the above, the risk calculation, as opposed to pure logic, indicates that extreme caution is called for when dealing with these people, and that they are not entitled to trust, at least at the outset.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
^^^^ I would argue that with respect to an organization like the FBI, with the power and resources that it commands, extrapolating from the specific to the general is less a logical fallacy than it is a risk calculation.

In the abstract, certainly it is illogical to apply a small set of specific instances across a large organization. From a risk analysis calculation, however, each piece of misconduct raises the possibility that your next interaction with the organization will be with a "bad apple". Coupled with specific instances of evidence of a lack of accountability across the executive agencies of the government (FBI, DEA, EPA, IRS, etc.) which might logically tend to encourage proper conduct, this risk calculation becomes more fraught.

I don't know if you would advise a client to submit to a "conversation" with the FBI or not. In the current climate, I would not; at least without significant conditions in place, such as presence of a lawyer, on the client's home ground, with a court reporter present. Otherwise, get a subpoena that we can challenge or limit the scope of inquiry.

Given the above, the risk calculation, as opposed to pure logic, indicates that extreme caution is called for when dealing with these people, and that they are not entitled to trust, at least at the outset.

I did have a client interview with a couple of FBI agents, in my office or on one occasion in the client’s home the purpose of which was really to inspect the attic. In neither was the client conceivably a suspect or person of interest. I also interviewed with another pair myself. I did not record the meetings but very likely would now insist on some sort of record of what was said.

I wish I had video of these two young agents in suits clambering up onto the refrigerator and thence into the attic for a look at the clandestine antennas reportedly there, as reported by a worker at the home. The home had been occupied by a big shot, Ambassador or flag officer before, and they were worried about sneaking messages to the Ruskies or something, they claimed.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
This is about the most common logical fallacy committed, drawing conclusions from the specific to the general, and from the general to the specific.

Some FBI agents misbehave, so they are all rotten and corrupt. A team of FBI agents perform above and beyond, so they are all noble heroes, and patriots.

This demonstrates that the person is reacting emotionally rather than thinking logically.
I don't care what you call, it how you disagnose it, nor how detached you feel from it. I am telling- plain and simple- that I no longer trust the FBI, nor will I ever again trust the FBI. Make of that what you will.

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

I don't care what you call it how you disagnose it, nor how detached you feel from it. I am telling- plain and simple- that I no longer trust the FBI, nor will I ever again trust the FBI. Make of that what you will.

Trust is a very different consideration, and seldom confined to mere logic.