SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Motorcycle guys - what is the equivalent of a UJM now?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Motorcycle guys - what is the equivalent of a UJM now? Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted
Stickman428's thread about the Kawasaki KZ 750 prompts this question. I had a Honda CB360 in the '70s, and it was small, but still fun.

What is out there now that is similar to a UJM?

I see Honda has an 1100 that is a direct nod to Honda UJMs of the '70s. And Yamaha seems to have a 900 in the same vein. Triumph, too.

What else is out there? I don't mean only bikes that have throwback styling, but what is out there that is meant for the same uses - general riding, including a generally upright riding position I would include engines in the 700 range and up. But still usable around town.

Some models may favor one use over the other (i.e., more sporty, or more cruiser) but motorcycles that are mostly generalists are the ones I am curious about.

And which ones do people seem to think pull it off the best?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Suzuki went back to a more UJM upright style with the newest SV650.

Kawasaki has the naked Z bikes but they are more sportbike oriented. You already mentioned the Yamaha XSR900 (which is gorgeous!).

I'll be interested in the responses.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yamaha FZ09

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Maybe the FZ-07, Bolt C-spec, SCR950 or SR400? Yamaha's "Sport Heratige" line is pretty neat. If that SR400 had a larger displacement sibling it would capture the classic UJM spirit perfectly IMO. That baby is kickstart only! The SR400 hasn't sold well so I don't see Yamaha making a slightly larger version but who knows. Yamaha has been making pretty neat stuff lately.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Not very J, but similarly intended, is the Guzzi V7 or the newer Bonnevilles/Scramblers or Ducati's 800cc Scrambler

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I'm noticing a lot of "sport" bikes that have UJM features and riding position with modern "styling".

I love my FJ-09, it's the most comfortable bike, in terms of riding position, that I've ever ridden.

I could certainly do without the "Transformer" styling tho.

Smaller bikes are coming back too, witness the Kasawki, Honda and Yamaha offerings in the 300cc street bike category.

The dual purpose offerings are all very retro-looking as well.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
How about Honda's CB1100?

God bless America.

Posts: 13501 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:

that's a big engine for a new rider, but definitely has the look.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
jhe888, The SR400 would be a pretty close modern equivalent to your old CB360. The small bikes are some of the most fun to ride.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
quote:

Apologies. I must have missed the part about a new rider. An 1100 would scare the crap out of me, and I've been riding for a while. I surely wouldn't put a new rider on top of that engine!

God bless America.

Posts: 13501 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
the OP isn't a new rider, though I believe it's been a while...

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am looking at a supermoto for mostly the reasons mentioned. Standard upright riding position, inexpensive (relatively), modern brakes and suspension without really awkward styling. Fun around town bikes.
I do like that yamaha posted above, though. May have to look into that. And I really like the kick only aspect.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Apologies. I must have missed the part about a new rider. An 1100 would scare the crap out of me, and I've been riding for a while. I surely wouldn't put a new rider on top of that engine!

no need to apologize, it just seems to me that the UJM's of olde were an entry into the world of motorcycles, that Honda is more for long time riders who are feeling nostalgic, also its 12 grand. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Suzuki sv650. really nothing better overall.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Well if 1100 is too big, you can go to the other extreme the Van Van 200 from Suzuki:
http://www.suzukicycles.com/Pr...V200/2017/RV200.aspx

or the TU250X:
http://www.suzukicycles.com/Pr...50X/2017/TU250X.aspx

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
It's more on the adventure end of things in styling, but I really like my Honda NC700x. It was relatively inexpensive, has an upright seating position, and the torquey parallel twin gets really good fuel mileage (I've seen 70mpg on a couple long trips). But it still handles pretty good in the twisties.
And (IMO) it could be turned into a "poor man's" Africa Twin with some mods...

My HD 1200 Roadster is also pretty comfy, even with it's more aggressive riding stance. But I can tell it is right at 100 lbs heavier than the Honda.

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Wolfe 21, The SR400 is fuel injected and kick start. You can get a blast of retro kick start awesomeness without the pain of dealing with a carb. I've not seen one near me for a good price...if I did I'd probably own one.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
that Honda is more for long time riders who are feeling nostalgic, also its 12 grand. Big Grin

Plenty new old stock units. My local dealer has one listed for $7,800. If I could cram one into the garage I would get it and a black coated 4 into 1 yosh pipe.

Posts: 9963 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
It's more on the adventure end of things in styling, but I really like my Honda NC700x. It was relatively inexpensive, has an upright seating position, and the torquey parallel twin gets really good fuel mileage (I've seen 70mpg on a couple long trips). But it still handles pretty good in the twisties.
And (IMO) it could be turned into a "poor man's" Africa Twin with some mods...

It's also a scooter Wink

Rock Paper
Scissors
Lizard Spock
Picture of James in Denver
posted Hide Post
I have no idea about the UJM, but I had to comment on this thread because of the CB360.

That was my first BIKE! Had loads of fun tromping around my hometown on it. It was my dad's hand-me-down bike. He bought a CB750K and let me have the CB360.

Fond memories. Had better bikes, but wow, brings back the memories... Smile

James in Denver

----------------------------
"Voldemorte himself created his worst enemy, just as tyrants everywhere do! Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress? All of them realize that, one day, amongst their many victims, there is sure to be one who rises against them and strikes back!"
Book 6 - Ch 23

Posts: 4484 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post