SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wuhan-virus thread for the optimists: Step inside to seek or share inspiration
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wuhan-virus thread for the optimists: Step inside to seek or share inspiration Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
The innovation is remarkable- Why is medical stuff so complicated and expensive? https://oxvent.org

Looks like an Arduino Board? 3D printing parts as needed would be icing on the cake.

quote:
New innovation could help solve ventilator shortage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdZtMgpxnPI

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13400 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I'll bet we have a mini baby boom the end of this year to early next.

Or maybe I'm just being an optimist.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
The innovation is remarkable- Why is medical stuff so complicated and expensive? https://oxvent.org

Looks like an Arduino Board? 3D printing parts as needed would be icing on the cake.

quote:
New innovation could help solve ventilator shortage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdZtMgpxnPI

Real ventilators are much, MUCH more complicated than that, and have a huge number of settings and modes for managing different issues.

They don't just pump air in and out, they measure pressure at baseline and during the breathing cycle, measure flow rate and oxygenation, do it all in real time so they can adjust themselves on the fly or pause pumping air so they don't fight the patient when the patient tries to breathe on his own, etc.

Plus, they are RIGOROUSLY tested for safety and reliability.

As an example, in treating some conditions, ventilators have to operate at high enough pressures they literally risk tearing holes in the patient's lungs (and that risk is taken, because the alternative is they die because their lungs can't absorb enough oxygen). The person operating the vent has to be able to increase the pressure in small increments and KNOW that the machine isn't going to drift higher or randomly have a pressure spike.

You also don't want a software bug or hardware problem to lock the machine up when the patient will die after a few minutes without breathing support.

In this context, with a limited supply of ventilators and a lot of people suffering from the same disease with a range of severity, it is possible that when the alternative is nothing, a much simpler, more limited machine could be useful for treating some COVID-19 patients and reduce demand for real ventilators... but it also won't be a complete replacement for a real ventilator.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Bump.

Please.

Need some good vibes Smile

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maladat’s post in video form

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/7vLPefHYWpY

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Thanks for bringing this thread back to the top. Today is my first day back at work after recovering from the Wu-Flu. Our company shut down our campus for 9 days because of me but paid us through the shutdown, so we didn't have to use any vacation or sick days.

My 79 year old mom lives with us and has been symptom free the whole time, even though I was in the house and tested positive. Two days ago, I left the house for the first time and it was liberating to not only be out of my room, but out of my house.

Since we were all home and after I recovered, we were all able to tackle spring cleaning and plant a tiny garden in the backyard in a trough that we bought last year from Wilco. We knocked off all the moss from the back patio and are all set for spring and summer.

We finished the day off with three healthy ribeye steaks, cooked to medium. It was absolute perfection! Also grilled some asparagus too.

I received lots of support and offers for help from many friends and family. It was very encouraging.

Hope everyone else stays healthy and happy. Take this time to connect with those under the same roof as yours.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5398 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great news. Thanks for posting.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Indeed. Great news.

Thank you for posting your update.

So very thankful that you are doing better!

Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Figured I'd update this thread. Since the whole fiasco happened, we refinanced our house from 3.75% APR VA loan to a 2.85% fixed rate VA loan with no pre-payment penalty.

I started running 6 weeks ago after not running for almost 2 years. When I started, I just ran 2.15 miles around my neighborhood. It took me roughly 35 minutes to run that route. I did it with my son and our little Bichon. Our average pace was a 16:23 minute mile.

This morning I did it by myself and I finished the run in 29:36 at an average pace of 13:36 minutes per mile. My ultimate goal is 3 miles in less than 30 minutes and to lose 50 pounds.

I have more energy and I walk faster. I'm only working 40 hours a week instead of my normal 50 pre-Wu-flu, so I'm using the extra time to do cool stuff with my son and keep him running too.

We also made a point to go fishing and have gone out twice in the last few weeks and are looking for more places to try out.

My wife said the hospital will be running 100% soon and the possibility of "curtailment" is in the rear view mirror.

It seems things are turning around in the country if we could just pass this protesting phase, life would look more normal.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5398 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good for you Benny. Keep it up.

Posts: 7474 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the update.

Smile

posted Hide Post
I read this morning that the unemployment numbers were down by a bunch.....people are going back to work. Wall Street responded in a big way to the news......much to the chagrin of the Dems!!!

Posts: 6618 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hong Kong flu came in 1968-1969 and killed 100k Americans. Guess what concert happened in between the peaks of that virus? Woodstock. Nobody canceled life, nobody closed the world. In 1970, the US population was 203 million people.

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post