SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why do you use self check out registers?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why do you use self check out registers? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Yes - when I have a few items.

-------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I use them most of the time at stores that have them, unless I have a lot of stuff (I consider them express checkouts).

I just like doing it myself.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sammael
posted Hide Post
I don't use them. Ever.

I'm not going to do the job that someone else gets paid to do.

Even weirder still is when the self-checkouts are backed up with people waiting to use them, but the regular lines are not. Seen it happen many times.

Can't figure that one out.

Posts: 571 | Registered: August 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dead_Eye
posted Hide Post
I use them because how else can you get ammo and bananas for $0.39/lb?

Beware the man who has one gun because he probably knows how to use it.

Posts: 368 | Location: Somplace with cold drinks and warm women | Registered: May 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmmmmm

Average .22LR round:
Rounds per pound ~ 136lbs
Weight per 100 rounds ~ 0.74lbs

9MM:
Average 9mm Luger round:
Rounds per pound ~ 38.10rds
Weight per 100 rounds ~ 2.63lbs

.40cal
Average .40S&W round:
Rounds per pound ~ 28.07rds
Weight per 100 rounds ~ 3.56lbs

.45cal
Average .45ACP round:
Rounds per pound ~ 21.33rds
Weight per 100 rounds ~ 5.07lbs

5.56/.223
Average .223/5.56 round:
Rounds per pound ~ 37.21rds
Weight per 100 rounds ~ 2.69lbs
Amount per .30 can ~ 600rds
Amount per .50 can ~ 1200rds
Weight of 600 rounds ~ 16lbs
Weight of 1200 rounds ~ 33lbs

7.62x51/.308
Average .308/7.62x51 round:
Rounds per pound ~ 19.05rds
Weight per 100 rounds ~ 5.25lbs

Shotgun Calibers

12GA 2 3/4" Slug
Federal HI-Shok Slug
Rounds per pound: 10.53
Weight per 100 rounds (lbs): 9.50

12GA 2 3/4" #4 Shot
Remington Express 4BK
Rounds per pound: 9.30
Weight per 100 rounds (lbs): 10.75

12GA 2 3/4" #7 1/2 Shot
Federal #7 1/2 Shot
Rounds per pound: 10.53
Weight per 100 rounds (lbs): 9.75

12GA 2 3/4"00 Buckshot
Federal Express 9 Pellet
Rounds per pound: 9.76
Weight per 100 rounds (lbs): 10.25

12GA 3" Slug
Federal 3" Rifled Slug
Rounds per pound: 8.89
Weight per 100 rounds (lbs): 11.25

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post

Big Grin

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sammael:
I don't use them. Ever.

I can only laugh and shake my head at those of you making comments like this.

Seriously, you have two items to buy and you'd rather wait in line behind another person with an entire shopping cart full of groceries than scan your own two items, swipe your credit card, and be on your way in two minutes.

That's some serious old man, luddite stubbornness right there.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes I use them.

When the store has two registers open and they are at the other end of the store.

When the person in the 12 items or less lane has 74 items.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't use them .

Posts: 4056 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Seriously, you have two items to buy and you'd rather wait in line behind another person with an entire shopping cart full of groceries than scan your own two items, swipe your credit card, and be on your way in two minutes.

This is for you. Some tips on speed shopping here.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll take self check out almost every time. Obviously, at Costco that's not possible and I'm stuck in the lines with everyone else.

Posts: 1451 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
I go the path of least resistance, be it the self check-out or the cashier line.

^

Per linear foot, it adds to the number of places the stores can field. And (assuming they're working) sometimes there are more of them then there are aisles staffed with actual human cashiers.

Think of it this way. Even if you don't use them, everyone who does use them isn't in front of you in your check out line. Wink

Posts: 15029 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I use them about half the time for small items. Works great at Home Depot for me and some grocery stores.

However, for larger orders and a cart of groceries I'll have the cashier ring it up and bag it. It's the same price no matter which checkout so may as well have them do it.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I avoid them for several reasons. First, they all seem to beep and announce things at several times normal volume. It seems that one much constantly wait for each announcement to finish before you may proceed, delaying the entire process.

Things like handling a gift card or a wrong price seem to take much longer to fix.

Get rid of the high volume announcements and make it so I get complete the transaction consistently faster and I'll start using them.

Posts: 2366 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryan11:
I avoid them for several reasons. First, they all seem to beep and announce things at several times normal volume. It seems that one much constantly wait for each announcement to finish before you may proceed, delaying the entire process.

Things like handling a gift card or a wrong price seem to take much longer to fix.

Get rid of the high volume announcements and make it so I get complete the transaction consistently faster and I'll start using them.

You can adjust the volume on these things. I usually mute them.

And I've never had to wait for it to "finish an announcement" before proceeding.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I don't ever.
I don't use an ATM at the bank either unless it is closed and I absolutely have to have the cash now. I will go inside to a live teller for a $20 bill.
One day I went into the newly built CU branch and was quite confused as there was no teller counter to be seen. I guess I looked quite puzzled as someone walked up to me and asked if I needed help, I said sure do needed to get out some money. He pointed me to the direction of a wall with multiple phones on it, just pick one up and someone would be with me.
I asked what was the deal he said this branch was a test to see if people liked the setup. I quickly asked to speak to the highest person at the branch. Happened to be who I was speaking to I informed him since this is a test they were likely collecting feedback. I had feedback that if this were to become the norm I would close all of my accounts with them quicker then they could blink. I also informed him I would not be utilizing that branch again. I guess other folks hated it too as that branch has no phones on the wall and a standard teller counter.
No self serve check outs for me!

Our local Home Depot pisses me off as many times during the week the self serve is the only one open. I leave.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25422 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't ever.
I don't use an ATM at the bank either unless it is closed and I absolutely have to have the cash now. I will go inside to a live teller for a $20 bill.
One day I went into the newly built CU branch and was quite confused as there was no teller counter to be seen. I guess I looked quite puzzled as someone walked up to me and asked if I needed help, I said sure do needed to get out some money. He pointed me to the direction of a wall with multiple phones on it, just pick one up and someone would be with me.
I asked what was the deal he said this branch was a test to see if people liked the setup. I quickly asked to speak to the highest person at the branch. Happened to be who I was speaking to I informed him since this is a test they were likely collecting feedback. I had feedback that if this were to become the norm I would close all of my accounts with them quicker then they could blink. I also informed him I would not be utilizing that branch again. I guess other folks hated it too as that branch has no phones on the wall and a standard teller counter.
No self serve check outs for me!

I think some people tend to forget that many of us are social beings and enjoy interactions with others. Solitary confinement is designed as punishment. Of course there are those who have social anxiety disorder, impaired social skills or would prefer to interact with robots. Stepford wives come to mind.

The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:

quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
Also it's faster if I only have a couple items, and I don't want to stand around while Shani'q'ua' (What's the extra apostrophe for?) argues with the cashier about how they's a racisms for not having their brand of menthols, then pays for their name-brand everything with their Uncle Sugar card.

Oh, you mean the ultra-discreet "here's my credit card that I keep in the special paper sheath it was issued in that I can only run transactions at the awkward end of the counter, away from everyone in line behind me while I look guilty for spending tax dollars on 532,378 calories of refined sugar" card, right?

They never seem to be that guilty looking, but then again I'm bad at reading faces. I always did wonder why they kept it in that secrecy envelope though.

quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by Sammael:
I don't use them. Ever.

Word. Never? Not ever? Some of y'all will just abandon your cart right there and trundle off if there isn't a halfway (okay, quarter) sentient drone ready to process your transaction? After you've already spent an hour wandering around getting jock itch cream and Frosted Flakes and transmission fluid? Refuse to use a self-checkout because you're not getting a discount? Is time not enough of a discount? I tell ye what, time is plenty for me. I got other shit I want to do besides standing in line, or driving back and forth to the store waiting for that perfect time when the line isn't too long, each time spending the same amount of time shopping.

I mean, golly, if that's how you wanna live your life, fine, I'm a libertarian, ain't no skin off my sack, but may I suggest a different hobby? There's gotta be something more fun than going to the store six times because there was more than four people in line, and you refuse to use self-checkout.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I guess some you people never use vending machines either. Roll Eyes

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
I never use them. Or the ATM. And Balze, I can't recall the last time I ever used a vending machine. I hate customer service numbers that make you use voice instead of pushing a number option.

I'm an old grumpy bastard. But I hate machines more than people.

Posts: 11223 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post