SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any Peloton bike users on the board? (Update page 3)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Peloton bike users on the board? (Update page 3) Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
I have an opportunity to purchase a bike at significantly lower than retail price.

Any of you guys use one, thoughts? Results?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ronin1069,

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12296 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
My thoughts on the Peleton Bike is that it would be money wasted.

Case in point you can buy a smart trainer for $300-$1500.00 depending on what you are looking for (mine was $800.00 it is a Tac-X "Genius"). With a smart trainer you place your bike in the trainer (a stand with rollers), and the trainer is controlled by computer applications.

The cost for the computer applications run $10 - $15.00 per month depending on the app you choose to use. I use BKool and Zwift.

You can buy a used bike for under $1000.00 that fits you and allows you to ride inside with the trainer, or you can ride outside when the weather is better.

Cost of bike, trainer and annual app subscription is still way less than the cost of the Peloton and an annual subscription to use the Peloton app.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I was one of the early adopters - I bought my bike from the first batch just after their Kickstarter campaign. I have almost 1000 rides logged and have never needed service on my bike. All the mechanical and electronic components are still working perfectly.

I am a big fan. I ride usually about 4x per week as part of my overall fitness program. I was a spinning instructor for almost 20 years before getting my bike. Since buying it, I haven't done a cycling class in a gym. The Peloton is more convenient and with better coaches. There is also the added bonus of the various metrics that can be captured for analysis.

Of course, the only way to get results is to use the bike, but there are many different coaches to choose from with different styles, music, training approaches, etc. You just have to find what you like and stick to it, but there really is something for everyone.

You also have access to all their other non-cycling classes from running to strength, yoga and meditation.

Happy to answer specific questions if you have any.

Posts: 6060 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
We have a Peleton. It was my wife's Christmas gift to me, and vice versa. The wife uses it daily. I use it a couple times per week. (Biking is easier on my bad knees than running, but still not 100% great.)

I like it, and the wife especially loves it. But then we both enjoy spin classes. We do the virtual spin classes exclusively. I haven't played around with the "scenic rides" yet, or the other non-bike classes like Yoga.

If you've done a spin class before and hated it, you'll probably hate the Peleton. If you've done a spin class before and liked it, you'll probably like the Peleton.

If you've never done a spin class before, that's okay. They have beginner classes that will walk you through everything, and you can step up into more advanced stuff at your own speed.

If you like riding a road bike, or a hybrid bike on paved trails, you may or may not like the Peleton. It's nice in that it can be ridden regardless of the outside conditions, but it's not quite the same as riding in the fresh air of the great outdoors. However, you do have a lot more control over how hard you want the workout to be, and you don't have to deal with jackholes riding/driving/walking near you.

So if you're doing it primarily for cardio fitness, and to participate in spin classes from home, it's fantastic. If you're getting it to occasionally supplement your outside biking when weather is bad, you'll probably still like it, but it's probably overkill for just that, especially if you never plan to participate in the spin classes.

I had a trainer like Lizardman was describing for my "real" bike that I used for a few years, and the Peleton is leagues beyond that. Significantly better/smoother/quieter/higher quality. (But for the price tag, you'd expect that.) However, if all you want is an indoor supplement for outdoor biking, that's a decent option, and likely significantly cheaper.

If you do decide to get the Peleton, you will need a set of bike shoes (if you don't already have some) with compatible clips (Look Delta clips). Depending on where/how you buy your Peleton, it may or may not come with a pair of shoes in your size already.

And if you're not already a regular biker, I'd also strongly suggest getting a pair of padded biking undershorts and/or a padded seat cover. Especially when you're first starting out, your tailbone/taint will thank you.

Posts: 32380 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Ronin...Rogue brings up an excellent point. Will you be using this from the POV of spin classes or are you looking for something that's more of an indoor trainer when the outside weather is not conducive to use your "normal" bicycle?

If the former, I have no knowledge of Peloton. If the latter, I have some decent ideas.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11016 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
I don't think there's any better clothes rack than a Peloton. Wink Big Grin

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10694 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LA Fitness centers around here have dozens of bikes and "spin classes" daily. If you already have an membership at LA Fitness in your area, why buy an expensive machine?

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
LA Fitness centers around here have dozens of bikes and "spin classes" daily. If you already have an membership at LA Fitness in your area, why buy an expensive machine?

Because you can squeeze in a 30/45/60 minute workout in just 30/45/60 minutes, and then jump into your own shower, get dressed in your own home, and continue on with your day. (No driving there, fighting for a parking spot, showering with strangers, getting dressed in the locker room while avoiding eye contact from Old Man Leonard while he blow-dries his ballsack in the hand dryer, and then driving back.)

And because you can do it anytime you want, any day of the week, day or night, not just when the gym decides they want to schedule it.

And because if you don't like a certain instructor or style of music, you have dozens of other choices available. (Although I will miss a certain perky blonde spin instructor who shouted encouragement like she was having sex: Yes! Faster! YES!)

And because the Peleton is a nicer bike than the ones at the gyms, and hasn't been marinating in other people's funk for years.

And because you don't have to fight 50 other people for a spot in the 20 person spin class. (Out of all of these factors, this is the main frustration that led to us starting to research a Peleton. Otherwise you basically had to camp out well ahead of the class, to jump in there and claim a bike as soon as they opened the door, otherwise you missed out. Either way, it was a waste of time: If you got a bike, it was a waste of time because you had to get there so early just to wait around to claim it. If you didn't get there early enough to camp out for a bike, it was a waste of time because you couldn't participate that day.)

The wife and I did spin classes at various gyms for years. The Peleton is significantly more convenient, and a better option for us. But yes, it's a steep entry price, and therefore probably not worth it for everyone in every situation.

Posts: 32380 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:

I cannot speak for LA Fitness in your area, but locally they are garbage. Sites are often understaffed, the locker-rooms stink, and the equipment and machines are not well maintained.

I've been a member with Lifetime Fitness for years and really enjoy their clubs, but they are expensive and as Rogue says, giving up the club would save me hours/week in drive time. There are small little 24/hour Fitness type clubs all over the place I could join so that i could still lift a few times a week.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12296 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Are these: Echelon Fit bikes just Peleton lite? They seem considerably cheaper

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by synthplayer:

Pfft. My Bowflex holds up to 10 shirts per heavier weight size, down to 2 shirts per smaller one.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
We have a Peleton. It was my wife's Christmas gift to me, and vice versa. The wife uses it daily. I use it a couple times per week. (Biking is easier on my bad knees than running, but still not 100% great.)

I like it, and the wife especially loves it. But then we both enjoy spin classes. We do the virtual spin classes exclusively. I haven't played around with the "scenic rides" yet, or the other non-bike classes like Yoga.

If you've done a spin class before and hated it, you'll probably hate the Peleton. If you've done a spin class before and liked it, you'll probably like the Peleton.

If you've never done a spin class before, that's okay. They have beginner classes that will walk you through everything, and you can step up into more advanced stuff at your own speed.

If you like riding a road bike, or a hybrid bike on paved trails, you may or may not like the Peleton. It's nice in that it can be ridden regardless of the outside conditions, but it's not quite the same as riding in the fresh air of the great outdoors. However, you do have a lot more control over how hard you want the workout to be, and you don't have to deal with jackholes riding/driving/walking near you.

So if you're doing it primarily for cardio fitness, and to participate in spin classes from home, it's fantastic. If you're getting it to occasionally supplement your outside biking when weather is bad, you'll probably still like it, but it's probably overkill for just that, especially if you never plan to participate in the spin classes.

I had a trainer like Lizardman was describing for my "real" bike that I used for a few years, and the Peleton is leagues beyond that. Significantly better/smoother/quieter/higher quality. (But for the price tag, you'd expect that.) However, if all you want is an indoor supplement for outdoor biking, that's a decent option, and likely significantly cheaper.

If you do decide to get the Peleton, you will need a set of bike shoes (if you don't already have some) with compatible clips (Look Delta clips). Depending on where/how you buy your Peleton, it may or may not come with a pair of shoes in your size already.

And if you're not already a regular biker, I'd also strongly suggest getting a pair of padded biking undershorts and/or a padded seat cover. Especially when you're first starting out, your tailbone/taint will thank you.

My smart trainer's resistance is controlled by the software which changes the resistance based on my weight and road grade. I also can upload a route ridden outside and ride it inside with the same resistance. The only difference is outside I can coast, and on the trainer if I stop pedaling all forward motion in the software/app stops. Think of the app/software as a video game you have to pedal through.

I also can do spin classes as well as virtual rides. I do have a Garmin watch that is a heart rate monitor, a power meter and cadence sensor on the bike so that the app/software loads those metrics. The app/software I use will also upload my activity to Strava so that I can see my caloric burn, effort, time, and distance.

Regular trainers were too boring and loud. My Tax-X trainer is very quiet, and most smart trainers have been getting quieter over the last couple years.

With a smart trainer you have options as to wheel off direct drive or wheel on trainers. Due to my weight I am too heavy for the wheel off option and so I have a spare wheel with a trainer tire that I use when riding indoors.

My initial investment when I was using a different smart trainer in October 2014 was about $1500.00 ($1000.00 for the bike, $400 for the trainer, and $100.00 for heart rate monitor and cadence sensor. Then I paid for nine months of a premium subscription to use the trainer application.

These trainers talk to your computer via blue tooth/ant+ technology.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
There are small little 24/hour Fitness type clubs all over the place I could join so that i could still lift a few times a week.

Unless you're into heavy lifting, another more convenient option would be to do bodyweight exercises (pushups, situps/crunches, tricep dips, wall sits, planks, squats, burpees, jumping jacks, flutter kicks, step-ups, Hello Dollys, etc.) at home, along with riding your Peleton.

You can Google various bodyweight training circuits that you can do at home with minimal supplies, generally just a wall for wall sits and a chair/stool for stuff like tricep dips and step-ups, plus maybe some dumbells or homemade weights for things like curls, rows, and lunges.

Or the Peleton includes some strength training classes. But I haven't really looked too closely at those. IIRC, they're floor workouts requiring dumbbells.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:

Because you can squeeze in a 30/45/60 minute workout in just 30/45/60 minutes, and then jump into your own shower, get dressed in your own home, and continue on with your day. (No driving there, fighting for a parking spot, showering with strangers, getting dressed in the locker room while avoiding eye contact from Old Man Leonard while he blow-dries his ballsack in the hand dryer, and then driving back.)

And because you can do it anytime you want, any day of the week, day or night, not just when the gym decides they want to schedule it.

And because if you don't like a certain instructor or style of music, you have dozens of other choices available. (Although I will miss a certain perky blonde spin instructor who shouted encouragement like she was having sex: Yes! Faster! YES!)

And because the Peleton is a nicer bike than the ones at the gyms, and hasn't been marinating in other people's funk for years.

And because you don't have to fight 50 other people for a spot in the 20 person spin class. (Out of all of these factors, this is the main frustration that led to us starting to research a Peleton. Otherwise you basically had to camp out well ahead of the class, to jump in there and claim a bike as soon as they opened the door, otherwise you missed out. Either way, it was a waste of time: If you got a bike, it was a waste of time because you had to get there so early just to wait around to claim it. If you didn't get there early enough to camp out for a bike, it was a waste of time because you couldn't participate that day.)

The wife and I did spin classes at various gyms for years. The Peleton is significantly more convenient, and a better option for us. But yes, it's a steep entry price, and therefore probably not worth it for everyone in every situation.

Well, you got me.

Yes, convenience for most is key, but I don't have to work and my LA Fitness membership is free (Silver Sneakers) and I have an old Trek 920 on a training device that I use often.

My earlier post was just a suggestion....so carry on.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Me and wife used to love spin classes. So much so my wife became an instructor. Over time our gym got rid of spin classes. We got the Peleton late last year.

I know friends like lizardman who hate Peleton. Usually it is because "bikes are better and this isn't a bike". Well no, it isn't. It is also in my spare bedroom and I take a class at whatever hour suits me. I have had trainers before, none of mine sounded as nice as lizards. I hate trainers. My wife doesn't want me carting a bike in and out of my house anyway. The subscription is 39.99 a month and I am basically taking as many classes as I want. They are great classes too.

If you like spin class you will like Peleton. You will spend less too. I understand they sell a cheaper subscription app that you can use anywhere.

I would say buy it and enjoy. I have had stationary bikes and they make great clothes racks. The Peleton is a much better thought out "system". Wish I had got mine cheaper.

Posts: 7324 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
quote:
Originally posted by synthplayer:

Pfft. My Bowflex holds up to 10 shirts per heavier weight size, down to 2 shirts per smaller one.

I stand corrected. Wink

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10694 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
No dog in this fight, however...

...a guy at work bought his wife one for Christmas.

Ever since then, he claims he is "getting-it on the regular" cuz his wife has more energy and so forth.

Posts: 1294 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the slight thread drift here.

Can someone clarify for me. If we already have a treadmill and spin bike (not Peleton) can we just get the Peleton App for $12.99 a month and have access to live and on demand spin and run classes?

I have a big TV on the wall with AmazonFire and a nice Yamaha system in the home gym. Wife already uses BeachBody on demand for cardio stuff but would love a live spin class or even on demand as BeachBody does not have spin stuff.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25317 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

Can someone clarify for me. If we already have a treadmill and spin bike (not Peleton) can we just get the Peleton App for $12.99 a month and have access to live and on demand spin and run classes?

I have a big TV on the wall with AmazonFire and a nice Yamaha system in the home gym. Wife already uses BeachBody on demand for cardio stuff but would love a live spin class or even on demand as BeachBody does not have spin stuff.

I believe you can just buy the premium subscription and use your equipment. You might need a few added sensors such as a heart rate monitor and cadence sensor for it to work. Heart rate monitors aren't too expensive for one that is accurate and broadcasts in the right format (Bluetooth vs Ant +), and cadence sensors are less than $50.00. I also spent the money for a power meter as with heart rate, power, and cadence data one can easily track calorie burn and other metrics.

Protect Your Nuts
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

Yes. Most of the classes call out resistance levels (%) which most bikes have, or you just modify and turn the knob easier or harder depending on what they call out. When I travel I do this, works just fine. I have a Garmin watch that shows heart rate and I just look at that. Didn’t need to buy any special sensors.

We bought the bike as part of the first production run. We did have a frame issue after about a year, but it was covered under warranty and fully replaced. We also were an earlier adopter of the treadmill and got one of the first rounds of shipments. My wife uses it more than I do, but she’s staying home with the kids now. For her it replaced the gym because of the kids, and she likes it better than the gym anyway.

Here is my take: before Peloton I never did any type of reliable cardio training. I hike, I climb, I MTB, I ski XC and downhill. I never needed to do cardio at home, and every piece of home gym equipment I bought was a waste, and driving to the gym to get a workout in is a time suck that I could only do short term.

Then I hit 38 which was the magic number for me when the wheels fell of the bus. Old injuries resurfaced and I couldn’t just go out and switch activities per the season like I used to. I think “I’ve got to do something different” moment was when I threw my back out on the chairlift. Not actually skiing, riding the damn chair lift. I bought the Peloton on a whim because it basically matched my tax return. For 2.5 years I’ve regularly rode it, and I regularly use the tread. It’s the best indoor bike I’ve ever ridden and the best treadmill I’ve ran on. I can run on the tread for 90 minutes and feel fine getting off, as opposed to a gym treadmill where after 30 minutes I feel like the walls are spinning when I stop. Anytime I travel I’m reminded of how good the bike and tread are. Are they “the best”? I have no idea, but I’ve never personally been on anything better. The classes are fun, lots of instructors to choose from. There are also tracks of specific training like HRZ, enduro, hills, and such. It’s not just instructors yelling at you or overly motivational garbage. There are also scenic routes and all sorts of music based/cadence classes. Peloton is the only fitness program I’ve ever stuck with for more than a few months, for me it’s just because it’s fun. I actually want to get on the bike or tread.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"deserves" ain't got nothin to do with it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 2695 | Location: VA, mostly | Registered: June 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post