SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What Is Going On With Apple?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Is Going On With Apple? Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

Apple <snip> phasing out the older ones on purpose <snip> non-removable batteries.
My wife and I each have iPhone 6 Plus. Several years old, still going strong.

Just a couple weeks ago I went online and made an appointment at The Apple Store for battery replacement for both phones. Twenty-nine bucks each, in and out quickly with the appointment, no hassle.

Apple normally charges $79.00 for battery replacement, but I believe that the $29.00 price is good through the end of the current year.

I fully expect that with the new batteries, we will see a few more years of useful life from these phones.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
4 pages in and it's morphed into me "degenerating people who buy $1,000 phones"
Roll Eyes

That's not what I posted in my OP, I was questioning why Apple who always seemed to want to be the company "for the average guy" now seems to not be interested in making phones that are considered entry-level or lower cost for those who don't have a lot of money laying around but would like to have an iPhone.

My wife for one is very unhappy right now when I told her that the iPhone SE was done and there would be no future versions of it. She likes a smaller phone and has no need or desire for one with a huge screen. Her answer was "I guess I'm keeping this SE I have for a LONG TIME and after that dies, I will go with whoever makes a phone in my size".

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
Problem with the missing 10-25% of “...what an iPhone does” is that it includes the seamless integration between my phone, iPad, MacBook, watch, wife’s iPhone, iPad, and watch as well as my chosen music streaming service and vehicle functionality.

Never mind the security and privacy aspects, which is what finally drove me away from Android devices--probably forever.

quote:
Kinda like the anti-gunners who instead of just not buying a gun, don’t want anyone else to buy one either.

Nah. More like people who criticize others for buying Champagne firearms instead of beer firearms Smile

quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
What’s even more ridiculous is the price of some of these android phones. They don’t hold their value near as well as iPhones.
Hold their value? It's an electronic device, not real estate.

So? One might still be interested in recouping as much of their investment as possible when selling an old phone in order to upgrade.

Or getting the most possible life out of their phone. Our iPhone 6S', for example: As long as they keep working well, and we can get the batteries replaced for a nominal fee, and we don't need TMO's new 600MHz Band 71: We'll keep using them. Try that with an Android phone.

quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
Further, it's possible to get a very good, not cutting edge, but very good Android phone, for much less than the Google Pixel, Samsung S9, or iPhone prices.

Case in point:
https://www.cnet.com/reviews/motorola-moto-g6-review/

That phone is a "Motorola" in name only. It's actually a Lenovo device. They aren't the phones they were when Motorola Mobility was making them, I don't care what C/Net's reviews say.

Google's sale of Mototola Mobility to Lenovo was something for which I'll never forgive Google, and is one of the things that made it easier to abandon Android---and everything else Google.

quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
Somehow, your being an IT and security professional, I just can't see you going back to the Android platform.

It is unlikely. I watch the "Android Security/Vulnerability Of The Week" float by in one or another of my security feeds and congratulate myself again for being out of there.

For a while I was posting the most egregious of these here in The Lounge, even while I was still using Android, but nobody seemed to care, so I stopped doing it.

quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
Be nice if we could install Postfix on either platform, though, eh? Yes, I follow the Postfix-users list.

Postfix is a mail server. Putting mail server on a mobile device would be like giving a fish a bicycle Wink

What I do miss is K9 Mail Frown. I have yet to have found an acceptable email client for the iOS platform.

quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

Just a couple weeks ago I went online and made an appointment at The Apple Store for battery replacement for both phones. Twenty-nine bucks each, in and out quickly with the appointment, no hassle.

My wife and I will do the same, in about another month or so.

Even at $80, refreshing a phone like the 6S is still a good deal. At $30 it's a steal and an no-brainer.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The whole resell price is moot in my house. Still have the 3G’s and 4’s that my wife and I had and they still work. When we upgraded each one we kept the old ones but cut the service on them. They then became the kids phones to use for games. Now my son bought a used 6splus with his stock show money. It has service now but he still has my old 4. Those phones ain’t worth squat now for resell but we surely got our money out of them. We still have our 6plus but will probably upgrade in the near future. Wife’s phone is getting glitchy with the touch screen and charger port. Att had a buy one get one green iPhone 8 deal, I suspect they either still have the same deal or will since another iPhone has dropped. At some point I spect I’ll take them up on that offer. And then my daughter will have a newer game phone to use. Always kept the old working phones in lieu of insurance. Self insured with a backup phone.

God, Guns, and Guts made this country....let's keep all three

Posts: 495 | Location: TX | Registered: March 09, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roadkill:
The whole resell price is moot in my house. Still have the 3G’s and 4’s that my wife and I had and they still work. When we upgraded each one we kept the old ones but cut the service on them. They then became the kids phones to use for games. Now my son bought a used 6splus with his stock show money. It has service now but he still has my old 4. Those phones ain’t worth squat now for resell but we surely got our money out of them. We still have our 6plus but will probably upgrade in the near future. Wife’s phone is getting glitchy with the touch screen and charger port. Att had a buy one get one free iPhone 8 deal, I suspect they either still have the same deal or will since another iPhone has dropped. At some point I spect I’ll take them up on that offer. And then my daughter will have a newer game phone to use. Always kept the old working phones in lieu of insurance. Self insured with a backup phone.

God, Guns, and Guts made this country....let's keep all three

Posts: 495 | Location: TX | Registered: March 09, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
It’s like a law of the universe: It’s impossible to have a discussion about Apple without Android lovers showing up to justify their platform, and vice versa with Android threads.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
It’s like a law of the universe: It’s impossible to have a discussion about Apple without Android lovers showing up to justify their platform, and vice versa with Android threads.

And in many cases, people chime in who use Phone OS 1 and criticize Phone OS 2, claiming to have used Phone OS 2, when they really haven't used Phone OS 2 in 4-5 years, thus making their opinion obsolete.

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
4 pages in and it's morphed into me "degenerating people who buy $1,000 phones"
Roll Eyes

That's not what I posted in my OP, I was questioning why Apple who always seemed to want to be the company "for the average guy" now seems to not be interested in making phones that are considered entry-level or lower cost for those who don't have a lot of money laying around but would like to have an iPhone.

My wife for one is very unhappy right now when I told her that the iPhone SE was done and there would be no future versions of it. She likes a smaller phone and has no need or desire for one with a huge screen. Her answer was "I guess I'm keeping this SE I have for a LONG TIME and after that dies, I will go with whoever makes a phone in my size".

That’s never been apples focus. They have always been a premium product. They made more money selling less iPhone X’s then they would have selling more less expensive phones. Samsung makes everything from $30 to $1000 phones...that’s their space. Apple isn’t interested in that. They want their phone to be a status symbol. They made more profit on sales on the X than all other smartphone makers combined...that should tell you something. Diluting their name by offering cheap phones will in the end lose them money. For people that want a less expensive iPhone Apple still sells the 7 and 8 and they start at like $400. There’s a lot of people here that are quite happy with their 4 year old iPhone 6s. I’m sure the 8 would be huge upgrade in performance for for $500. That is he beauty of iPhones. If you took a survey you would find millions and millions of people world wide still using 4-5 year old iPhones. Try doing then same with other platforms. Let’s face it a lot of android phones are considered disposable. A 5 year old iPhone 6 can still fetch $200 on eBay.

And ps their first computer sold for like $2500 in 1984! They have never been about the “average guy.” I think you misread their marketing intent. Tell your wife that her next phone will be a $50 android gas station pre-paid special because no flagship phone will ever go back to a sub 5” screen. It’s just the way of the world. The SE wasn’t a giant flop for Apple simply because they tooling and R&D was already there since it was basically a retrofitted iPhone 5.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Problem with the missing 10-25% of “...what an iPhone does” is that it includes the seamless integration between my phone, iPad, MacBook, watch, wife’s iPhone, iPad, and watch as well as my chosen music streaming service and vehicle functionality.
Yet I drive an Android device and it seamlessly integrates between my Lenovo Thinkpad, my Samsung Galaxy tablet, and my Dell desktop machine (don't care for wearables).

Look, I get some people prefer the Apple ecosystem. That's cool by me. But let's not play games. Software is available for both programs that allows tight integration and compatibility across platforms.

In the end, I'm with you. Buy whatever tickles your fancy. Just don't try and convince me that spending $1k+ buys you something really unique or special. A phrase that is used across the web that I couldn't agree with more, "Good phones are getting cheaper, and cheap phones are getting really good." That's great news for the consumer.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
FYI, Android made me an Apple user. Wink
And iTunes insures I will never be anything but an Android owner.

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:

They want their phone to be a status symbol.

That’s marketing and advertising which doesn’t have an effect on me because I’ve studied it ad nauseam. Image, status, etc means zero to me. That’s fake image life stuff for people who are very insecure. They overspend in a house, car, clothes, etc, go in debt because they are sucked into image life.

But I realize that it does have an effect on many. Most of them haven’t figured out that life is short or that if you need a telephone (car, clothes, etc) for a status symbol you’ve got some serious problems. Most people I see at work, gym, life in general, have some kind of case around their telephone so you’d have to ask about it to even know what the hell they were using. Well I guess except these new larger phones. They are slowly turning into Mac Minis. iPhone XII might have an iPad Pro size Big Grin

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12633 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:

I haven’t used iTunes in like 5 years.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Been using iTunes for over 5 years. Never had a problem. Most iTunes ‘problems’ are user related.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
quote:
quote:

I haven’t used iTunes in like 5 years.

I've never used it. From all I've heard it sounds like mostly what I'm missing is frustration Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
"Apple Bigot"

Stupidest thing said in this thread and could easily be "Android" or any other brand "Bigot".

Then again I forget how people are bitchy all the time these days.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Been using iTunes for over 5 years. Never had a problem. Most iTunes ‘problems’ are user related.

First started to use iTunes almost 20 years ago when I bought the 1st gen iPod. It was cool just as a music app, but became a bloated pain in the ass when integrated with the iPhones later on. iTunes sucks ass.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16694 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
"Apple Bigot"

Stupidest thing said in this thread and could easily be "Android" or any other brand "Bigot".

Well, to be fair he was responding to somebody referring to a OnePlus 6 as "crapola." It may not be a "flagship" phone, but it's hardly "crapola."

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
"Apple Bigot"

Then again I forget how people are bitchy all the time these days.
Go back and read the comments that preceded my comment. I don't give two damns what phone you or anyone else buys or what ecosystem you think is best for you. Apple? Android? Who cares. Its a very personal decision. But I do take issue with someone openly bashing a product they clearly know absolutely nothing about. I may personally think the new iPhones are woefully overpriced, but you won't find me bashing them as being junk or not comparable with other phones.

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Well, to be fair he was responding to somebody referring to a OnePlus 6 as "crapola." It may not be a "flagship" phone, but it's hardly "crapola."
Correct, and thank you. The OnePlus 6 is an incredible phone/option when you focus on 'value'. You get an incredibly capable package, one that's only maybe a step behind those flagships you noted, for about half to two thirds of the price. And given OnePlus will be sold in all T-Mobile stores and on their website starting this fall, right alongside the 'flagships', demonstrates just how far that vendor and phone have come in a very short period of time.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

Apple <snip> phasing out the older ones on purpose <snip> non-removable batteries.

Apple normally charges $79.00 for battery replacement, but I believe that the $29.00 price is good through the end of the current year.

I fully expect that with the new batteries, we will see a few more years of useful life from these phones.

Yes, you should still see a few more years out of them. I still have 1 friend using an iPhone 5 and another using a 4...….

It's not secret though that Apple has been slowing down their older smart phones via software updates. If you're just using them for basic stuff you might not notice.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post