SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Upgrade rotors and pads on Toyota Tundra?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Upgrade rotors and pads on Toyota Tundra? Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
I’ve been towing my side by side a lot more lately and even though I just had brakes done with new pads, calipers and rear rotors, it doesn’t stop as well as I’d like. My next trailer will have brakes. 2010 Toyota Tundra double cab 4x4. I do have plus one sized E rated tires and may try to get a Lighter LT tire next time for other reasons as well.

I overheated them once coming down a ski hill slope, my fault but they’ve been fine since.

However, I’d like to upgrade pads and at least the front rotors as they have 90k on them and were turned once. The rear rotors are new but I’ve read that they wear faster.

I may even look at upgrading the brake fluid if that will help.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
I just put a power stop kit on my f150 sc 4x4.
I haven't towed my boat with them on but just driving around they seem great. I'm thinking if I stand on them they'll do a good job.
I googled for prices. 4 Wheel parts had the best price mid 300's

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Front rotors typically wear quicker than rear as the weight is transferred to the front during braking.

For your application, definitely do not go cheap on tires and brakes. You'll need them when it comes to the extra weight.

Posts: 13111 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I would go back with factory pads and rotors when needed. The braking system on the Tundras are WAY overbuilt.

Brake fluid should be flushed every three years regardless of mileage.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I’ve had nothing but bad luck with aftermarket brake solutions on my 4Runners, stock is better. My mechanic has told me there are two different part numbers for Toyota pads. One that comes on your truck when new and a lower priced replacement (usually what dealerships put on for advertised brake “specials”). You want the original pads.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do yourself a favor, go with OEM Toyota pads and rotors. The Bosch premium rotors also worked well for me.

Posts: 3595 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
All of the above, plus it would be WAY cheaper to buy a trailer with brakes.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
OE or other quality brakes as recommended above first.
Call around to trailer builders or larger repair places. They buy complete axle assemblies in bulk including the wheels and tires and just plug them onto the trailers they build. The assemblies are not that expensive. They can just replace the whole axle assembly with one with brakes and the few wires required.
You will need a brake controller installed on the truck and a little wiring.

Posts: 9510 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
BuyBrakes.com is a great place with just about everything you need, EBC, Powerstop etc.
Got a set of EBC's for the wife's Xterra at a great price too.

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
You can try a slotted rotor in the front to help with the heat when you replace them. I just put new Calipers (rebuilt and powder coated Toyota), rotors and pads on the Wife's 2004 4runner and used the slotted rotors.

I think one important thing that is often missed is bedding in new brake pads and rotors. Almost any pad or rotor manufacturer will tell you it is critical to bed the system in for performance and longevity. I seriously doubt any dealership or repair shop bothers to do this.

JC

Posts: 1269 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
You can try a slotted rotor in the front to help with the heat when you replace them. I just put new Calipers (rebuilt and powder coated Toyota), rotors and pads on the Wife's 2004 4runner and used the slotted rotors.

I had better luck on both a Suburban and a Yukon XL with this change. Also, I'd pass on ever turning a set of front rotors on a truck I tow any significant weight with. You want as much material there as possible and the minor cost of new rotors is well worth it.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
As others have stated, I would recommend OEM for everything. Cheaply made chinese brake components are exactly that, cheaply made.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnCourage:

I think one important thing that is often missed is bedding in new brake pads and rotors. Almost any pad or rotor manufacturer will tell you it is critical to bed the system in for performance and longevity. I seriously doubt any dealership or repair shop bothers to do this.

Slotted rotors don’t actually remove more heat. They only help remove brake gases and dust faster than smooth rotors.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
My mechanic always stays with OEM parts, too.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Get some EBC pads. They will cost you, but they will be much more resistant to fade than the stockers. I have 2 cars and 2 bikes, and they all wear EBC.

These would be perfect. They feel great, and I've never managed to make a set of them fade.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The front brakes on my 2006 4-Runner lasted 150K miles. I took them to a dealer expecting replacement with Toyota parts. I had a cracked caliber, so they had to replace them as well as the pads. Three weeks later my calipers and discs were covered with rust. When I took it back, they admitted they had used parts from Carquest. I insisted they re-do the job with Toyota parts. I had to laugh, when the female service writer said she wasn't sure if Carquest would take back the parts. I explained that would be her problem, not mine. Moral of story, insist on Toyota parts.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Just wondering: on your Tundra, are already using the TRD pads? I've heard the TRD pads improving braking and are more resistant to fading.

I'm considering putting them on my truck next (stock rotors, TRD pads). If you're already using the TRD pads, I may re-think this.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Not TRD pads. Edit: They are Raybestos Pro Grade pads.

Truck stops great unloaded. Does pretty well with the trailer but could be better.

I forgot about just swapping axles on the trailer. I didn’t want to sell and buy another trailer this summer.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
Not TRD pads. They are good quality Wagners.

The words good quality and Wagner do not belong in the same sentence. We only recommend Toyota factory pads at my shop, especially with a vehicle such as the Tundra. Tundra's stop extremely well with factory pads and rotors. They tend to wear quicker than other brands of vehicles, but stop like no other. Get those Wagner pads off that vehicle...

Posts: 270 | Location: NorCal | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
quote:
Originally posted by JohnCourage:

Slotted rotors don’t actually remove more heat. They only help remove brake gases and dust faster than smooth rotors.

The result being better pad bite and less fade under heavy use and that was my point.

JC

Posts: 1269 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post