SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A Meaningful Quote To You Thread
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Meaningful Quote To You Thread Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
History is written by the victors. - Winston Churchill

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing good happens after midnight. Iowa State University coach Johnny Orr.

Posts: 174 | Registered: February 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
"You will not rise to the occasion. You will default to your level of training." -- unknown SF member's old signature line.

“Adversity is sometimes hard upon a man, but for one man who can stand prosperity, there are a hundred that will stand adversity." --Thomas Carlyle

Posts: 18067 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
quote:
Originally posted by adobesig:
Theodore Roosevelt-It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

I think of this one every day I'm at work.

Before I changed it a few years back, this one was my signature quote.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
Thanks to Para years back, mine is my CUT.

To me it just means that even though we may try to hold on to the past or go back to another time in our lives, we truly can't. Life is about creating new memories, living in the present and always moving forward.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
To be early is to be on time;
to be on time is to be late;
to be late is to be screwed.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Growth for growth's sake is the paradigm of the cancer cell.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time.

- Maya Angelou

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit." - Vince Lombardi

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. ~Brian O’ Driscoll

Posts: 1453 | Location: Back to the Island in MS | Registered: May 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
“Adversity introduces a man to himself.”

-Albert Einstein

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance."

-- ubiquitous in the military, and I practice it nearly every day.

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
"Fair's a place they give ribbons to pigs." - by I forgot who

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
Happiness = Reality - Expectations

Tom Magliozzi, one the "Car Talk" brothers, who passed away a couple of years ago due to Alzheimer's disease.

Posts: 1266 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gasche
posted Hide Post
"Partnership in not a ship to get on."
-Grandpa-

Posts: 748 | Location: Western Washington AC | Registered: August 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jack32586
posted Hide Post
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win

Sun Tzu

Posts: 206 | Location: S/W Florida | Registered: October 10, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.

George Washington

I came across this today.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Thru high school I had a desk in my bedroom that had a blotter on it. The newspaper would run a quote of the day and I would cut out the ones I liked and tape them to my blotter.

My signature line is one my favorites, and another I liked and had taped to my desk was from Eleanor Roosevelt:

quote:
Do what you know in your heart to be right, for you will be criticized anyway.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
If you can keep your head when everyone else is losing theirs, you obviously don't understand the problem.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I struggle between what I know is right in my own mind, and some warped truthfulness as seen through other people's eyes who have no heart, and can't see the difference anyway.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shotgun Zeke
posted Hide Post
“The true meaning of life is to plant trees, under whose shade you do not expect to sit.” Nelson Henderson

"Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain

Desperate Times Call for Desperate Measures.

NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Rifle Instructor

Posts: 640 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post