SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bad Forum Advice
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bad Forum Advice Login/Join 
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:

Oh, I do, Mike, but they look like a hundreds of weeds in my lawn and lawn weed killer does nothing. Amazing how determined the damn things are.

It's looking like I'm going to have hundreds of little oak bonzai trees in a couple years. Maybe it'll become another source of income.

We have a company here in NC called Cardinal Chemical (I'm sure they have something like it near you) and I have used stuff called "CrossBow" to get rid of trees/vines etc in a cemetery...

it only works on broadleaf stuff and leaves grass alone (doesn't even brown it)

look around and see if that will work for you...

I used it to clear a cemetery here after cutting 90 trees down and removing them from the over 200 year old burial plot.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11280 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:

Ever got bad advice from the forum that you tried?

"Just call David Truong".

The service and product was great, better than any you'd get anywhere local or distant. However the fact that my wife now thinks she "has a jeweler in CA" is going to hurt me long term, I can tell!

LOL. When one of my wife's friends asked her about the opal ring I got her through Dave that is exactly what she said!

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
I ended up with hundreds of tiny saplings

Put some of this on them. It will kill the saplings you have, and prevent others from sprouting in the future. Wink

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15717 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:

Ever got bad advice from the forum that you tried?

"Just call David Truong".

The service and product was great, better than any you'd get anywhere local or distant. However the fact that my wife now thinks she "has a jeweler in CA" is going to hurt me long term, I can tell!

this has to be "post of the thread". I was trying to figure out how you were going to go after Dave and live to tell about it! Well played.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
Something about "You WILL buy a Glock" Cool

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Yes, and certain things work for one individual but doesn't work for the next guy. Go figure.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
I was in need of a new anti-virus software and anti-malware software as the annual subscriptions for the two paid programs were ending. I made a post and a member steered me to 2 free products. Turns out the programs were both anti-virus, and my computer got taint punched with malware. It was a real PITA to fix it, and took many hours and outside help.

He's still a member and is on my ignore list.

Surely this wasn't malicious. Confused
It was just a brief synopsis and there is more to the story. In the weeks following, they felt the need to make more recommendations in threads they had no business commenting in and weren't very pleasant when called out by members. I've taken them off ignore a few times and they always manage to make their way back on.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
It was just a brief synopsis and there is more to the story. In the weeks following, they felt the need to make more recommendations in threads they had no business commenting in and weren't very pleasant when called out by members.

When someone posts something such as this, I would like to know who we are talking about, and the specifics. I can understand HONEST mistakes and suggestions that are not feasible. For example, there is now a thread on Backup Software. Are you suggesting stupidity, malicious intent or what?? Thanks

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
quote:

Oh, I do, Mike, but they look like a hundreds of weeds in my lawn and lawn weed killer does nothing. Amazing how determined the damn things are.

It's looking like I'm going to have hundreds of little oak bonzai trees in a couple years. Maybe it'll become another source of income.

We have a company here in NC called Cardinal Chemical (I'm sure they have something like it near you) and I have used stuff called "CrossBow" to get rid of trees/vines etc in a cemetery...

it only works on broadleaf stuff and leaves grass alone (doesn't even brown it)

look around and see if that will work for you...

I used it to clear a cemetery here after cutting 90 trees down and removing them from the over 200 year old burial plot.

CrossBow now available in my local Home Depot. It's a 2,4-d mix, works well. I use a stronger variant mixed with Roundup to keep my undergrowth beat down, including all the poison ivy.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
It was just a brief synopsis and there is more to the story.
In the weeks following, they felt the need to make more recommendations in threads they had no business commenting in and weren't very pleasant when called out by members.

Wasn't it JHE888 who said something about (legal) advice and most of it was bad or something like that?

There are lots lot's of members with good professional advice from their profession.
Better to value them over just hearing an answer we "want" to hear.
Unfortunately we take advice from "anyone" without doing any due diligence on vetting the advice.

Being in the IT business I see lot's of bad advice, emotional advice due to hatred for Microsoft or blind loyalty to Apple, or just a "very limited" personal experience. Many of the recommendations with little or now context.

However, ultimately we have to be responsible for our own decisions and can/should only blame ourselves for whatever we decide.
YMMV

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
It was just a brief synopsis and there is more to the story. In the weeks following, they felt the need to make more recommendations in threads they had no business commenting in and weren't very pleasant when called out by members.

When someone posts something such as this, I would like to know who we are talking about, and the specifics. I can understand HONEST mistakes and suggestions that are not feasible. For example, there is now a thread on Backup Software. Are you suggesting stupidity, malicious intent or what?? Thanks
Stupidity. They aren't bright enough to know what they don't know.

I'm not going to call them out. They're just one of the very few people out of 70,000+ members who have rubbed me wrong in my 12 years here. Seriously, if I lived in a town the size of Sigforum there would be significantly more people I steer clear of.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Stupidity. They aren't bright enough to know what they don't know.

I'm not going to call them out. They're just one of the very few people out of 70,000+ members who have rubbed me wrong in my 12 years here. Seriously, if I lived in a town the size of Sigforum there would be significantly more people I steer clear of.

OK thanks. That helps me out. Appreciate it.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
It was just a brief synopsis and there is more to the story.
In the weeks following, they felt the need to make more recommendations in threads they had no business commenting in and weren't very pleasant when called out by members.

Wasn't it JHE888 who said something about (legal) advice and most of it was bad or something like that?

There are lots lot's of members with good professional advice from their profession.
Better to value them over just hearing an answer we "want" to hear.
Unfortunately we take advice from "anyone" without doing any due diligence on vetting the advice.

Being in the IT business I see lot's of bad advice, emotional advice due to hatred for Microsoft or blind loyalty to Apple, or just a "very limited" personal experience. Many of the recommendations with little or now context.

However, ultimately we have to be responsible for our own decisions and can/should only blame ourselves for whatever we decide.
YMMV
You continue to make the same erroneous assumption that the thread I started was the sum total of my reading before installing the two programs. Both programs individually received solid reviews from multiple sources (cnet, pcmag, etc). The problem is that they were largely redundant and left a security gap. It was a long time ago, and a mistake I haven't made since (I do try to learn from my mistakes).

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
In these days of instant info available by internet search, everyone who has a keyboard is an expert in everything. I personally have not received any bad advice/recommendations on SF. But, I've seen some making bad ones that I have to cringe.

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
spike 80df should do it. Amazon sells it. This is the stuff that the Alabama fan used to kill the huge oaks at Auburn. I would check to make sure that this does not leave soil contamination. The website from VA. Tech would be my first stop. I am not a horticulture expert, and this may be very well be overkill.

Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
I was in need of a new anti-virus software and anti-malware software as the annual subscriptions for the two paid programs were ending. I made a post and a member steered me to 2 free products. Turns out the programs were both anti-virus, and my computer got taint punched with malware. It was a real PITA to fix it, and took many hours and outside help.

He's still a member and is on my ignore list.

Well that's one way to avoid responsibility for the decisions you make. Eek

Yep

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5908 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Any sample of people anywhere is going to net you a percentage of Frak and Feldercarb for advice. This is not a reason for put people on ignore lists, this is simply just math.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
There may be some bad advice given but I have never taken anything but good tips. When I was building my pole barn, Old Rugged Cross almost insisted that I put the max 24" eave overhang. I was gonna save $600 + labor and get 12". I went w/ 24" and am SOOO glad I did. Much more help I've received on other projects, too.

Betcha if a statistics wizard could compute accurate advice vs bogus advice the good would win by big %.

We are lucky to have admin like Para, Lbj, LDD. They make it fun, educational and manage to attract and maintain a large group of intelligent posters who actively participate. And no ads. I hope we forum members appreciate how good we have it. Aside from the entertainment there is seasoned, reasoned advice on most any subject just for the asking. I truly do appreciate this forum. Smile

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why not buy both of them?

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3533 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Yes, i been rick rolled 8 times.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post