SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Turkish president Erdogan's bodyguards beat up US protesters in DC - Chutzpah! UPDATE: 19 of the guards have been indicted by the US
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Turkish president Erdogan's bodyguards beat up US protesters in DC - Chutzpah! UPDATE: 19 of the guards have been indicted by the US Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
I suppose if Trump were at the US Ambassador's residence in Turkey and a bunch of North Korean protestors began converging that the US Secret Service would hand out ass whippings as deemed necessary. This is a big "meh" to me.....don't start none, won't be none.

Again, this was not on embassy or residence grounds, it was on the public streets and sidewalks.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't ever recall hearing of US embassy guards leaving the embassy/residence grounds in foreign countries and attacking citizens on their own roads/sidewalks.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
Will be interested to see if any can be / will be prosecuted.

Some specific 'diplomats' have immunity, but not all.

--------------------------------------

Nope. Diplomatic immunity.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
quote:
I suppose if Trump were at the US Ambassador's residence in Turkey and a bunch of North Korean protestors began converging that the US Secret Service would hand out ass whippings as deemed necessary. This is a big "meh" to me.....don't start none, won't be none.

Again, this was not on embassy or residence grounds, it was on the public streets and sidewalks.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't ever recall hearing of US embassy guards leaving the embassy/residence grounds in foreign countries and attacking citizens on their own roads/sidewalks.

Neither do I, though I'm sure there were quite a few times when our Marines would have preferred to have a deeper perimeter than the Embassy fence.

Going outside the fence and initiating an attack against foreign citizens on their own soil could easily be considered an act of war.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Clearly I have "protest fatigue". I am just tired of seeing Antifa, Code Pink, BLM, and all the rest chanting and being douche bags. I have begun to associate all such antagonistic bullshit with loud mouth sniveling assholes that I wouldn't mind seeing their assess kicked. You want to show up in front of someone's house and shout derogatory shit at them have at it. It's your right, sure. Pardon me for snickering if you get punched in your smarmy face.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Diplomatic immunity for security guards? They are not diplomats. They are hired muscle to keep their diplomats safe. I doubt that Turkish security guards have diplomatic immunity.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Clearly I have "protest fatigue". I am just tired of seeing Antifa, Code Pink, BLM, and all the rest chanting and being douche bags. I have begun to associate all such antagonistic bullshit with loud mouth sniveling assholes that I wouldn't mind seeing their assess kicked. You want to show up in front of someone's house and shout derogatory shit at them have at it. It's your right, sure. Pardon me for snickering if you get punched in your smarmy face.

I have protest fatigue as well.

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
quote:
Will be interested to see if any can be / will be prosecuted.

Some specific 'diplomats' have immunity, but not all.

--------------------------------------

Any foreign citizen can be PNG'd (Persona non grata), which basically = GTFO, NOW.

It will be up to the State Department to declare individuals PNG.

Just based on the video, I'm not sure State has enough to ID each individual who was involved and whether they are US citizens or not.

The video doesn't show the whole protest, just a bunch of folks crossing the street and the tussle begins. Some of the pro-Erdogan suits might actually be US citizens, in which case, they can't be PNG'd.

My point is - specifically - some may be eligible for prosecution while some may not be.

Depending on their position. It can be complicated. My brother has held diplomatic posts abroad - its pretty interesting.

Will be interesting to see because they have such good footage...

----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
These savages have no place in a civilized western environment. Perhaps it is time to boot the ottomans out of NATO, given their shady activities here and abroad.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15576 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
My point is - specifically - some may be eligible for prosecution while some may not be.

Depending on their position. It can be complicated. My brother has held diplomatic posts abroad - its pretty interesting.

Will be interesting to see because they have such good footage...

----------------------------------

I wasn't disagreeing.

Just saying there are possibly other things that can be done besides prosecution.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:

Maybe this should be a limitation of freedom of speech.

NO. Just stop right there. Red Face

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
These folks have a slightly different approach to working through their issues. Wink Put the consulate folks on plane one and the protesters on plane two out of this country. Just one more problem we don't need here.

Just another day in their world.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8354 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Had this been the Israeli Ambassador's home and the protesters yelling "free Palisitne" would you be so quick to condemn Netanyahu's security detail?

Yep. There's no question in anyone's mind that they weren't on embassy grounds or doing anything illegal. I'm sorry if that disappoints you.

quote:
I guess my point is that both the Ambassador and Leader of Turkey are here as our guest, like it or not.

That doesn't give them the right to commit assault.

quote:
No need for the Kurds, or their supporters, to bring their discord into our house lest our guest take exception.

Ah, so the First Amendment is subject to who happens to be in town. Or whether or not you have "protest fatigue" because of something someone else did that had nothing to do with this. Got it.

"Need" means nothing. They have a right to do it. Or would you like to have to prove a "need" to exercise a Constitutional right because, you know, some foreigner might be offended?

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Turks, not Iranians. And since the best you can do is revoke their diplomatic status (that's sure as shit incompatible with diplomatic status), I'd say it's a damned shame a few of those "bodyguards" didn't catch a billy club in the teeth.

they took away our Hickory Shampoo around 1990ish..as it was frowned upon...it still is the best thing to whap people with though-those little ASP brand expandable batons are worthless

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11280 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GGF
posted Hide Post
Protesters aren't allowed to be on the lawn of the White House to protest.
Does the embassy grounds extend to a point where the guards don't allow trespassers?

Just trying to figure out the rapid and heavy handed response of the Turkish security.

GGF

Posts: 698 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GGF:
Protesters aren't allowed to be on the lawn of the White House to protest.
Does the embassy grounds extend to a point where the guards don't allow trespassers?

Just trying to figure out the rapid and heavy handed response of the Turkish security.

GGF

The embassy was about a half mile away. This protest was on the street going by the ambassador's residence. No, the grounds don't extend past the perimeter, usually surrounded by a fence.

The heavy handed response is because the Turkish government has been trying for generations to completely wipe out the Kurdish people.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just another day in their world.

But this isn't their fucking world.
It's the US of A.
The thugs doing the kicking are radical Islamists in suits and short hair.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
At 2:04 I am surprised the officer is letting the guy put his hands on him like he is.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
Once again, as with other protests involving thugs, the police appeared to go to great lengths to avoid arresting/detaining the actual thugs, who in this instance were by and large wearing suits. Instead, we see protesters in T-shirts proned out while thuggish suits continue to charge back across the street with seeming impunity. Pretty disgusting.

Posts: 7311 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GGF:

1. They're muslims.

2. They hate the Kurds.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Having been one of those Embassy Marines back in the day, you cant leave the Embassy grounds and beat the crap out of the locals. Frankly, at several Embassies, its all you can do to keep the locals out and not get the crap beat out of you, the Ambassador or the Embassy. We've lost that battle a few times in the past.

These 'Suits' were most likely part of his traveling personal protection detail an strapped as permitted.

Posts: 1451 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post