SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ship overturns near Georgia port; 4 crew members missing
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ship overturns near Georgia port; 4 crew members missing Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by trapper189:
Looks like the last man is out.

Dumb question:
Is the ship actually floating on its side?

ALL crew members have been rescued.

The Golden Ray rolled over on it's side while in the channel and underway, running aground was not the reason she rolled over and that did not cause it to roll onto it's side. Floating on it's side is entirely possible with a stability issue and this type of vessel, it also would most likely reduce the draft of the vessel as there is more flat surface for it to float on and the propulsion and keel is generally the deepest part. It is entirely possible for a ship like this to float on it's side in calm water, indefinitely if it is not taking on water.

On www.marinetraffic.com, draft is listed as 9.5M or 31.35', which would be maximum draft and the Golden Ray wasn't fully loaded and most likely several feet less draft than maximum draft (at the load line). The position listed for it and the 2 Moran tugs (Lat/Lon) is wrong on marine traffic. N31.13/81.40W, 81.40W would put everything solidly on dry land several miles from the water, but if you look at the live map and compare it to a nautical chart it could or couldn't be in the channel. Tugs are attached to it and sitting there on Dynamic positioning and I would assume it's because it's not hard aground or there would be no need to be attached to it. By clicking on the live map, of either of the tugs, or the Golden Rays last position, it shows that it is probably in the channel when I compare it to my Garmin bluechart of the same area. But there is not enough detail on the Marine traffic map to tell for certain, but appears to be in deep enough water to float. I've been in and out of this inlet dozens of times. There is around 8' of tide in the area between low and high tide, and the soundings in the inlet on charts are of mean low tide. There is also a lot of current in this inlet. It appears to be right next to Green "19" channel marker.

Golden ray is the teal colored dot on the middle of the map, and the Ann Moran tug is the teal colored boat shape to the East of it.

https://www.marinetraffic.com/...ntery:31.128/zoom:13

If anyone is interested in these types of things. There is an excellent show, I think on Discovery channel called "Disasters at Sea" and each episode studies and recreates one of the situations or sinkings of ships.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jimmy123x,

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is from another forum and it's authenticity is unconfirmed, but does sound like a very very likely scenario of what happened:

"Here's the dope from the folks that know.

I queried a retired harbor pilot buddy here in Charleston about the Golden Ray debacle out of Brunswick. My buddy's son is a current Charleston pilot. Here's what I received:
Ship was not ballisted properly causing major stability problems with righting moment and insufficient GM.....At critical list during a 35 degree turn angle cargo lashings on autos failed and all cars went to one side...no recovery possible..
Entire mess is in Captain's lap..."

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

Let's not demonize the Jones Act. Blame the absurd union rules associated with US shipyards for the bloated price of US built ships.

Boom. Mic drop.

My point is/was not about WHY it costs 3x as much to build a commercial ship in the United States. But the fact that U.S. shipping companies are at a serious global disadvantage compared to other shipping companies because they are forced to buy U.S. built ships at 3x the cost. So they cannot compete with other shipping companies globally. But, the major issue is that they're milking (still using) 40-60+ year old ships, that should've been retired decades ago due to newer ships being safer and in better condition, but can't due to the absurd replacement cost. If the requirement was lifted to where U.S. shipping companies could buy a ship built in a foreign country, it would make them a lot more profitable and the ships would be safer. Focusing on the safety aspect of it. The jones act requires the use of a U.S. built ship to do U.S. commerce and be U.S. flagged and have U.S. crew etc.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jimmy123x,

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
^^^^ There are very good arguments for why we have those provisions in the Jones Act. Imagine a nation like the United States without the ability to manufacture her own ships during a time of war? Should we depend on South Korea, Japan, Italy, or even China for our supply of ships during a global emergency?

We as a nation need the Jones Act, and it does us no good, especially those of us in the industry, to attack it.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While there's been plenty of articles written about it, the Jones Act as it stands, isn't the boogeyman. The state of US shipbuilding industry, as it compares and competes on the world...just isn't comparable. The biggest shipbuilding nations, all subsidize their industry, the US doesn't.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
C&D Magazine reports that the ship was loaded with “thousands of Hyundais and Kias.”

Posts: 13258 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is a very interesting article about a small company that salvages ships in peril with a small crew and salvaged a very very similar ship, that too was listing/floating on it's side just like this ship. It tells how they go about re-leveling/floating the ship.

https://www.wired.com/2008/02/...sYHah8Dqli-u6RcSXfPM

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
C&D Magazine reports that the ship was loaded with “thousands of Hyundais and Kias.”

The latest news, I read that it has over 4200 cars on it.

posted Hide Post
Golden Ray is going to be cut up and scrapped in place. They've offloaded 225,000 gallons of the 300,000 gallons of fuel and oil she had aboard in her tanks, and will cut her up and scrap her in place. They've determined that there is no way to right her in place in one piece. I went out Brunswick inlet 2 weeks ago in a yacht and she is one massive beast, on her side. They let me get within 150 yards and I took a bunch of pictures.

See link below for full story:

https://www.freightwaves.com/n...unswick-to-be-cut-up