SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Amazon announces its list of 20 candidates for second headquarters.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amazon announces its list of 20 candidates for second headquarters. Login/Join 
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
I'm predicting "Amazon.com stadium at Mile High"

Posts: 3520 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I would think Loudoun County since they have the MCI hub which is now Verizon. Still lots of land left for more industry.
It makes sense to have a location on east coast centrally located.

Lots of warehouses.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hear Chicago is a lock.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
Lots of warehouses.
Map looks a little old. We have both a huge fullment center and a warehouse in Houston now

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Where is Amazon warehouse located in Texas?

The company already has more than 8,000 full-time hourly employees in Texas. The Seattle-based online retailer's other Texas fulfillment centers are in Coppell, southern Dallas and Schertz, which is near San Antonio.

A fifth location is under construction in San Marcos.Apr 20, 2016

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
I would think Loudoun County since they have the MCI hub which is now Verizon. Still lots of land left for more industry.

[giant picture]

Lots of warehouses.

Nevada is very curious. Three around Reno, OK, but the one off by itself is in the middle of nowhere.

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
Where is Amazon warehouse located in Texas?

The company already has more than 8,000 full-time hourly employees in Texas. The Seattle-based online retailer's other Texas fulfillment centers are in Coppell, southern Dallas and Schertz, which is near San Antonio.

A fifth location is under construction in San Marcos.Apr 20, 2016
I ONLY mentioned Houston's two which are less than 2 years old, but it turns out I was wrong as there are three:

Fulfillment center - 8120 Humble Westfield Rd, Humble, TX 77338

Warehouse - 10550 Ella Blvd, Houston, TX 77067

Brookshire - https://search.amazondelivers....sociate/3413/6783477

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
What about the 8000 workers assuming three shifts would equal about 670 workers per shift or around 2000 per warehouse. Eek

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:

Lots of warehouses.

That is old. There is one on Terminal Rd in Alexandria I've personally been in it, and it's not on the map.

Another consideration is the number of AWS sites in Northern Virginia. Ashburn has multiple Data Centers, as does Reston and Manassas.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
It will be somewhere in the DC Metro.
Why? Not warehouses or any of that... but proximity to power.

Amazon made it to the top without the government, but ... your perspective changes once you make it to the top. You begin to see the government both as a threat and as a potential 'partner'. You intensify your lobbying efforts both to minimize potential regulation, and to shape regulation in order to limit your competition.

The whole idea that this 'competition' was nationwide was a sham from the beginning. It's just to maximize the bidding war between competing cities, much like an NFL franchise.
But... Amazon’s top 20 list included three locations in the greater DC metro area — Washington, D.C., Montgomery County, Maryland, and Northern Virginia. It will be one of these.

One of Amazon's HQ2 candidates looks like a clear frontrunner
https://finance.yahoo.com/news...unner-150150989.html

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
Originally posted by 41:

[giant picture]

Lots of warehouses.

Nevada is very curious. Three around Reno, OK, but the one off by itself is in the middle of nowhere.

Makes perfect sense. Supply N California with services without the added expense of paying CA taxes.

My BIL makes a living hauling block cheese produced in CA to UT. The inventory and labor taxes in CA are such that it’s cheaper to haul the bulk cheese to UT for storage, where it is packaged for individual sale, stored, then shipped back to CA for retail distribution. Like the signs say, your tax dollars at work.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chessiedog1:
Pittsburgh makes even more sense. Lower cost of living, plenty of room for building. Better location for shipping, less traffic. Under utilize airport, both a small county and International Airport.

Pittsburgh made sure to clear off the bike lanes before city streets. Just in case amazon is watching.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxdog:
Traffic into Austin is awful. A better site would be a small town within 25 miles of Austin, such as between Austin and San Anonio. This would provide access to several universities as well a better access and less traffic. Close proximity to the 85 mph toll rd would be a hoot.

No please, we (San Marcos) already have one of their distribution centers.

Posts: 3595 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why? Not warehouses or any of that... but proximity to power.

They are running a 230K volt line from Brambleton to a computer center near South Riding at the present time.

https://wtop.com/loudoun-count...f-transmission-line/

https://www.loudoun.gov/DocumentCenter/View/121275

Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
I would actually be psyched if they got it in Columbus, OH.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Amazon's HQ2 location will be in one of these two cities

quote:
Twenty cities made the shortlist to become Amazon’s second headquarters, or HQ2, but according to Scott Galloway they will pick either Washington or New York, and the reason is simple: It is where Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos wants to spend more time.

There are a number of reasons why companies decide to move their headquarters, but according to Galloway, “The number one reason companies move headquarters is simply to be where the CEO wants to spend more time.”

He added that Bezos already has homes in both D.C. and in New York.

Galloway says D.C. would be the “smart move” for Bezos, because “they are not going to regulate the local boy.”

“So, it’s D.C. No. 1, New York No.2 and the dark horse is Miami, because anyone who lives in Seattle wants to spend time in Miami.”

Galloway also noted that the second most important reason behind a headquarters decision is the ability to attract and retain the best talent, and every young person wants to live in New York or San Francisco, they don’t care about cost of living until they “start collecting dogs and kids.”

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
...but according to Scott Galloway they will pick either Washington or New York...

This middle Tennessean says "Whew!!".

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Amazon's HQ2 location will be in one of these two cities

quote:
Twenty cities made the shortlist to become Amazon’s second headquarters, or HQ2, but according to Scott Galloway they will pick either Washington or New York, and the reason is simple: It is where Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos wants to spend more time.

There are a number of reasons why companies decide to move their headquarters, but according to Galloway, “The number one reason companies move headquarters is simply to be where the CEO wants to spend more time.”

He added that Bezos already has homes in both D.C. and in New York.

Galloway says D.C. would be the “smart move” for Bezos, because “they are not going to regulate the local boy.”

“So, it’s D.C. No. 1, New York No.2 and the dark horse is Miami, because anyone who lives in Seattle wants to spend time in Miami.”

Galloway also noted that the second most important reason behind a headquarters decision is the ability to attract and retain the best talent, and every young person wants to live in New York or San Francisco, they don’t care about cost of living until they “start collecting dogs and kids.”

That's an opinion piece, not drawn from fact. My opinion: They'll pick a State that has no State income tax.

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
The Winner will be the loser with the tax incentives they are giving away...
I can celebrate they skipped over my state.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8354 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
NIMBY! Yay!

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post