SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Amazon announces its list of 20 candidates for second headquarters.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amazon announces its list of 20 candidates for second headquarters. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Wow. Looks like the Yoop does not rate.
Yay!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
quote:
Originally posted by x0225095:
Candidates or Victims? Please not Nashville.

No kidding. When they announced that SLC wasn't on the list, I breathed a sigh of relief. We're growing like wildfire as it is, and we don't need anymore libtards until we can fully assimilate the ones we already have.

Amen to that.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Perhaps more taxes will keep them in Washington?

You mean there is another state that charges a business more taxes than Washington?

With Inslee and crowd in control I would look for Amazon, Boeing, and others to start moving out of state.

Posts: 2127 | Location: Tacoma, Wa. | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldfireguy:
quote:
Perhaps more taxes will keep them in Washington?

You mean there is another state that charges a business more taxes than Washington?

With Inslee and crowd in control I would look for Amazon, Boeing, and others to start moving out of state.
Tax Foundation's Ranking Corporate Taxes on the 2018 State Business Tax Climate Index shows 4 worse states

Although, Corporate Tax shouldn't be the only consideration at states have other ways of getting their pound of flesh. For example, Texas has a high corporate tax making it #49, but lower other taxes (e.g. unemployment tax) which moves it to #13 overall business climate. Washington is #46 in Corporate Taxes but ok on other taxes so it's #17 overall business climate. Here is Tax Foundation's 2018 State Business Tax Climate Index

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Atlanta and Austin seem the most likely candidates, imo.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:

How did you come to that conclusion? I'm not arguing with you, I'm curious to know how you got there?

Posts: 6393 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
I think Amazon is looking for the biggest sucker they can find.

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Jacket:

Big Grin I am now confidant that you understand the nuances involved in a mega-enterprise of this sort. Concur.

Posts: 6393 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
I hope it’s not Dallas. We’ve got too many people here already and the housing shortage is driving real estate prices sky high.

+1. Thanks to Commiefornia. Big increases in property taxes. Traffic is getting as bad as Austin now. It sucks.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12633 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
One more for please not Nashville. We're full.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wishfull thinker:
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Jacket:

Big Grin I am now confidant that you understand the nuances involved in a mega-enterprise of this sort. Concur.

I agree. Any benefit to the local economy will disappear in the deal Amazon negotiates. My guess is they have already narrowed it down to 2 or 3 and will just use the bids to play off against each other.

Posts: 4078 | Location: NC | Registered: December 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted Hide Post
Mark my words... Toronto or Boston.

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

Posts: 3062 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
There’s several cities on the list that I can’t believe they’re considering. It’ll probably be fukkin’ Denver. It’s not near jacked up enough around there.

Posts: 13260 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Sooo, how many of these candidate cities on the 'short list' are Democrat run Liberal Utopias?

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8886 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wishfull thinker:
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:

How did you come to that conclusion? I'm not arguing with you, I'm curious to know how you got there?

Austin just because it is Austin. I think it is culturally the most enticing for a company like Amazon. Lots of economic incentives from Texas and tons of higher education.

Atlanta because of the airport, the state's economy is at or near the top of the nation lately, it checks off all of the mass transit requirements, and it is nowhere near as densely populated as many of the other "big" cities on the list. And this might sound like homerism, but Georgia Tech is a huge draw in the tech industry right now.

As this article says, Nashville, the research triangle or Charlotte in NC are also strong competitors but lack some of the "big city" amenities.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/2...ew-headquarters.html

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
I'm wondering why they chose all big cities. Wouldn't it make more sense to build warehouses and shipping stations in small towns outside of city limits? Lower property cost, less tax burden, lower cost workforce, etc.

Am I looking at it wrong?

Amazon is a tech company. It just happens that its tech makes internet retailing lucrative, but the core of its business has always been tech driven.

A second "headquarters" will likely be full of white collar type folks in HR, Advertising, Data Analytics, Software Engineers in Droves, and Management type folks. They've got hardware development that tries to compete with Apple and Google, they've got streaming services that competes with Netflix and Spotify, they're competing with Uber for on-demand driving services with their courier deliveries, and something like up to 70 percent of global internet traffic goes through one of Amazon's cloud computing farms. Even if you ignore the things that aren't retail related, the retailing business itself has thousands of people who won't ever schlep a package anytime during their day.

Shipping and whatnot is all done via regional and local warehouses. I've never received anything shipped directly from Seattle. They're going to locate their headquarters in places where Google, Apple, Uber, etc would locate their headquarters--because those are the places where the good employees are.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
Pulling hard for anywhere but Nashville. We don't need any more insane liberals in the area and I like the airport as it is just fine. No need to increase traffic...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
One of the sites is a three minute drive from my house. I praying they pick my location, should add 10%+ to home value and will mean I can likely rent it for a pretty penny.

Amazon announces its list of 20 candidates for second headquarters

While the race is far from over, Amazon (AMZN) announced Thursday it has narrowed down its list of 238 proposals from across to the U.S., Canada, and Mexico to 20 candidates, who all hope they will get a chance to become the e-commerce giant’s second headquarters.

“Thank you to all 238 communities that submitted proposals. Getting from 238 to 20 was very tough – all the proposals showed tremendous enthusiasm and creativity,” Holly Sullivan at Amazon Public Policy said in a statement. “Through this process we learned about many new communities across North America that we will consider as locations for future infrastructure investment and job creation.”

Amazon said it evaluated each of the proposals based on the criteria outlined in the request for proposal (RFP) to create the list of finalists that will continue on to the next stage.

Over the next couple months, the company said it plans to work with each of the candidate locations to dive deeper into their proposals as well as evaluate the feasibility of a future partnership that can accommodate the company’s hiring plans. Amazon added that it expects to make a final decision this year.

Amazon’s new HQ2 will be a complete headquarters, with plans to invest over $5 billion and create as many as 50,000 high-paying jobs.

Here is the list of the 20 metropolitan areas that are moving to the next phase (in alphabetical order):

- Atlanta, Ga.
- Austin, Texas
- Boston, Mass.
- Chicago, Ill.
- Columbus, Ohio
- Dallas, Texas
- Denver, Colo.
- Indianapolis, Ind.
- Los Angeles, Calif.
- Miami, Fla.
- Montgomery County, Md.
- Nashville, Tenn.
- Newark, N.J.
- New York City, N.Y.
- Northern Virginia, Va.
- Philadelphia, Pa.
- Pittsburgh, Pa.
- Raleigh, N.C.
- Toronto, Ontario
- Washington, D.C.

Probably 20-30% increase in value Smile

My first guess before the studies was Austin. I believe they will pick a red state to even the political energy. Bezos is a businessman first, and I think he wants to have support from both sides of the aisle.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
I'm wondering why they chose all big cities. Wouldn't it make more sense to build warehouses and shipping stations in small towns outside of city limits? Lower property cost, less tax burden, lower cost workforce, etc.

Am I looking at it wrong?

Amazon is a tech company. It just happens that its tech makes internet retailing lucrative, but the core of its business has always been tech driven.

A second "headquarters" will likely be full of white collar type folks in HR, Advertising, Data Analytics, Software Engineers in Droves, and Management type folks. They've got hardware development that tries to compete with Apple and Google, they've got streaming services that competes with Netflix and Spotify, they're competing with Uber for on-demand driving services with their courier deliveries, and something like up to 70 percent of global internet traffic goes through one of Amazon's cloud computing farms. Even if you ignore the things that aren't retail related, the retailing business itself has thousands of people who won't ever schlep a package anytime during their day.

Shipping and whatnot is all done via regional and local warehouses. I've never received anything shipped directly from Seattle. They're going to locate their headquarters in places where Google, Apple, Uber, etc would locate their headquarters--because those are the places where the good employees are.

Right, there won't be packages going through the new facility. This is a Headquarters - actually a SECOND Headquarters - with 50,000 employees that will add overhead to every product that we purchase from Amazon.

I wonder about the long term viability and profitability of Amazon.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whew !!

I think the MASS TRANSIT requirement by itself will be enough to keep them out of here (Nashville).

We don't need the additional disruptions...this place has been out of control for too many years already.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post