SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Long post no one wants to read
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long post no one wants to read Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I read your post.

The question I ask is personal and I will fully understand if you do not answer.
If you wish, you can email, or choose not to do so.

Do you currently have good a good mental health counselor?

(and my opinion)

If not, please find one. You may need to "shop" hard and be very particular that the person you speak to and you "connect".

A lot of people in the mental health profession are there trying to unscramble their eggs, and using those who seek them as a sort of proxies of themselves.

Most people who have made it through their twenties with life long depression, typically are more adept at understanding what makes them tick, but need some guidance at understanding and recognizing what they know and how to put it to good use day in and day out.

Proper nutrition, good sleep, exercise and a proper structure in life are key to managing depression.

And yes, you can be happy and content while still having the "darkness" around you.

You simply have to learn how to have a grip on your reality, and control it like a pitbull.

I will also keep you in prayer.

What Sigmonkey said. Every bit of it.

Silent

Posts: 1026 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I read your post and you are exactly correct it is not what I want to read nor should be reading it with the outcome you were given.

Unbelievable the way that your department treated you. Without a doubt seek representation. Were you an FOP member at the time of all this?

I honestly did not want to get to the end of your post. It felt as if the bad just kept coming and that you were posting your final goodbye.
I was so relieved to reach the end and that was not the case. You have been through some dark hours and will always carry demons with you but as you have shown you are stronger than them.
Stay strong keep pushing forward as you have been and please seek legal representation. I read nothing but a disability retirement in what you posted but I don't work in your state so I am not sure how different employment laws may be.

Brother, you are in my prayers. If there is anything I can do to help please feel free to reach out and I will do what I can.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25422 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chad: As Hemingway once said, Hard writing, easy reading. As heart wrenching as your story was, it was easy to read the whole thing.

I would advise you to consult an attorney who is familiar with the Americans with Disabilities Act. I do not know the employment laws in Texas, but have dealt with similar situations. Your situation should be covered.

Best wishes.

Posts: 102 | Location: Southwest Fl | Registered: January 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I hope things work out with getting disability. I assume you’re still in the Houston area, if you need to move into another field let me know and I’ll see if I can help. There are some great opportunities in the refineries and chemical plants.

Posts: 4110 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I read your entire post and first of all you are very strong for doing the right thing which is taking care of YOU over anything.

You may not feel it now, but everything works out for a reason. I have not felt that myself until I have experienced it twice now. I have gone through two very difficult job events which left me without a job and each time the next job was better, but the last job was still bad. I was let go for no reason as I was in an at-will position despite all the great reviews and work I did. It was a very political and hostile environment. I was so mad and depressed after this as this was a job I loved. Two months later I landed my current job which pays about 1/3 less but I am happy.

Keep your head up. Keep trying, and all will work out. Everything happens for a reason. You may not think that now, but later on you will. I wish you the best.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I've got a cunning plan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by megabyte:
Chad: As Hemingway once said, Hard writing, easy reading. As heart wrenching as your story was, it was easy to read the whole thing.

I would advise you to consult an attorney who is familiar with the Americans with Disabilities Act. I do not know the employment laws in Texas, but have dealt with similar situations. Your situation should be covered.

Best wishes.

I’m still out near Austin. My house in the Houston area is actually in Friendswood.

Posts: 987 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: October 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
I read all of it as well. Good on you for taking action. Many folks are unable to muster such fortitude. Hoping the best for you...you seem to be headed in the right direction.

Posts: 4521 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There is a world elsewhere
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
First, fuck those guys. You were hurting and you got hosed. Chummy as we might get with supervisors, if they get orders from on high, they have to follow orders. And for some reason, so many police departments are autocratic when it comes to the rights on their employees. Ironic, huh?

Second, if you don't have a union, like Chongo wrote, consult an employment attorney. You can get the legal lay of the land and decide what the next step is. Decide what you want to do. If you want to see it thru and perhaps get vindicated, then understand that day may never come.

Most importantly, though, concentrate on spending time with your good friends and family, do things you enjoy, get back to that lady friend of yours.

With stressful work, and you need the family, friends and support around you to maintain your resilience and health, something to recharge your mental batteries. Since you identify as having depression, this goes double. If you don't have a psychiatrist, get one. If your shrink does therapy, do it, otherwise find a therapist.

Take care of yourself first, worry about the career later, and just take it day by day.

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read your entire post and you did the right thing. I've dealt with depression and working in a chickenshit job that was not going to get better. Sometimes leaving is the best thing that can ever happen to you. Keep your head up. Things will get better.

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lugerguards
posted Hide Post
Read your post, some tough shit man. Hope your feeling better and thinking clearer. Things will get better!

Shawn

Nothing here to see!

Posts: 1865 | Location: Will County, Illinois | Registered: October 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read it. Very sorry to hear it. As others have mentioned, I hope you meet with a good counselor, and I'm glad you sought help. This story could have ended with you losing more than your job. I'm glad it didn't.

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
“One must never forget when misfortunes come that it is quite possible they are saving one from something much worse; or that when you make some great mistake, it may very easily serve you better than the best-advised decision. Life is a whole, and luck is a whole, and no part of them can be separated from the rest.”
― Winston S. Churchill

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
There was a time in my life that I thought the sun would not come up and shine the next day, and I even hoped it wouldn't...
But it did, and now I am blessed in too many ways to count.

You are in my prayers and may you be blessed with the strength to deal with and recover from your situation.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I read your post. Every single word. I too fought depression for years, and thank God I managed to get out of it. I still have my days but I look forward to the start of each day now. It wasn't that way for a long time.
God bless you Chad. Hang in there. It'll get better.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
After this long it is nice to be able to say it all in one big piece as I move forward.

Moving forward is all we can expect from ourselves. You didn't destroy yourself and sound like you understand the situation and all that comes with it. Keep doing that.

Prayers brother.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
You are not alone, brother.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
You have to take care of yourself...no one will do it for you.

Posts: 1971 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Chad, you did the hard but right thing, and I'm very happy that you caught yourself before something far, far worse happened.
I've retired from another high-stress job (cardiology), and looking back wonder how I did it for all those years. Of course in my job it was someone else's life on the line, not mine. There are many on this forum who must feel the same about their past or present jobs.
You've received some very good advice here and I hope you give heed to it.

Very best wishes.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Yes, I read it, twice for that matter.First thing you made a positive step in getting help, your well being trumps all.

Second, supervisors anymore and not just in LEO work in most cases really don't give a damn about anything but their own asses. Subordinates are a dime a dozen in their eyes.

I burned myself thirty years ago with an employer the last time I was in management. I stood up against the owner for the company to do the right thing for one of my subordinates. I won the battle but lost the war but you know what, I could sleep at night knowing that I did the right thing. He got even, it took a year for him to accomplish it albeit financially.

I know it sounds trite, but as one door closes, another opens. As others have suggested, pursue disability. You have worked for it, no shame in taking it. If you have to litigate, also pursue retraining as part of the settlement.

You have value to others, and to yourself. Never sell yourself short. Good luck.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8104 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Dude....

you also need to talk to someone at your retirement benefits as you may have grounds for a medical retirement....

and I wish you luck with your issues.

You've received and will receive a lot of good advice. Please take heed of them especially MikeinNC. 17 years has got to be good for something like retirement or disability. You've put in a lot of good work and time.

Other than that, I'm sorry for your troubles but, on the other hand, you're on the right step. Trust your gut about how you got where you are now in the first place. Walking away from a situation that will get kill you or keep you depressed is a winner move.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post