SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Owners of Mount Dora house painted like van Gogh's 'Starry Night' masterpiece fined $3,100 - No Homeowner's Association involved
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Owners of Mount Dora house painted like van Gogh's 'Starry Night' masterpiece fined $3,100 - No Homeowner's Association involved Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted
Interesting twist on a debate we've had here frequently. In this case, the town declared the painting to be 'graffiti', fined the homeowner and ordered them to paint their house a solid color. No homeowner's association involved.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com...-20171208-story.html

Owners of Mount Dora house painted like van Gogh's 'Starry Night' masterpiece fined $3,100

MOUNT DORA — An attorney argued Friday before a magistrate in a code-enforcement case that a home painted in the style of Vincent van Gogh’s “Starry Night” masterpiece is an expression of the owners’ First Amendment rights.

“This was done for beautification of the city,” attorney Laura Hargrove said of the home along Old Highway 441 that draws gawkers. “Mount Dora is labeled as an artistic city.”

But Magistrate David Tegeler said he wasn’t there to consider the merits of the case. He already did that, ruling Sept. 29 that Nancy Nemhauser and her husband, Lubomir Jastrzebski, were in violation of city codes and giving the owners 30 days to comply.

Not only did they not comply, they “are snubbing their noses” at the city, said Sherry Sutphen, an attorney representing Mount Dora, noting that the van Gogh theme has been expanded from a wall in front of the home to the home itself.

She asked for the maximum fine for the violation, $250 a day, but Tegeler reduced it to $100 a day. He found Nemhauser and Jastrzebski not in compliance for 31 days, fining them a total $3,100. His earlier ruling required them to paint the house “a solid color, no graphics, no design, nothing that is going to end up attracting attention of the public.”

The owners had no comment, leaving City Hall quickly to confer with Hargrove about a pending appeal in circuit court.

But artist Richard Barrenechea, who first touched off controversy in July with his depiction of van Gogh’s famous 1889 painting along a 40-foot-wall, said he wasn’t surprised by the fine.

“It’s a beautiful mural in a home where there’s no homeowners association,” said Barrenechea, 48, who painted the house in the same style after the Sept. 29 hearing. “We don’t understand why they’re wasting money and resources from the people.”

Michael Hurley, 71, who said he is a handyman for Nemhauser, noted that Mount Dora calls itself “Someplace Special.”

“What’s more special than van Gogh?” he asked.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Remember when I fought the County over my military trucks? It's not just HOAs. There are plenty of municipalities with all sorts of crazy restrictions that most are unaware of, and that tend to be selectively enforced.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15717 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
This Mount Dora in Florida? I recall it being small but a bit uppity. I’m not surprised.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
Remember when I fought the County over my military trucks? It's not just HOAs. There are plenty of municipalities with all sorts of crazy restrictions that most are unaware of, and that tend to be selectively enforced.

I actually did think about that case you told us about when I saw this story. I bet a dollar to a donut that a 'commissioner' or councilman lives nearby or the homeowner has pissed off somebody with juice and that is the only reason this is being pursued. Absolutely ridiculous in my opinion. I'd love to hear someone justify this nonsense.

quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
This Mount Dora in Florida? I recall it being small but a bit uppity. I’m not surprised.

The article is in the Orlando Sentinel, so I assume it's a local story.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
That's a new one. Starry Night is graffiti. Land of the free. Home of the logical contortion.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I want to paint all the houses in my neighborhood with Frank Frazetta Mars series cover art.

Posts: 15893 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I looked up the ordinances and what is interesting is the lack of a definition. Then I went to state statutes to see if I could find graffiti defined there. No luck.

But I did find Broward County ordinances that did define it, and it seems to be a reasonable definition. I would argue that his painting was not graffiti by any commonly known definition.

Broward county says:

quote:
Graffiti shall mean any writing, drawing, painting, inscription, figure, or mark of any type on any structure, public or private, or any other property, real or personal, that has been made without the consent of the owner of the property.

Seems to me that graffiti is only graffiti if it is placed on the property against the wishes of the owner. Otherwise, all painted surfaces are "graffiti".

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15717 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Did you find any ordinances that gave magistrates the power to order a house pained in a solid color that won't draw any attention to it?

I'm gonna go ahead and guess the answer to that is
'No' Smile

This magistrate is a numbnut loser on a power trip.

- John Adams

safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Tsk, tsk.

Apparently Mount Dora is allowing "graffiti" in commercial areas, but not residential. Come to find out the Magistrate disagreed with code enforcement. It wasn't "Graffiti", it was "a sign". "Signs" are permitted in commercial areas, but not in residential areas. Remember another recent story where the HOA was referring to Christmas decorations as a "sign"?

www.zykansafe.com

posted Hide Post
This is a landmark in Seattle. It was vandalized by some "Femynists", but was restored, and Divine added to the mural.

https://www.seattletimes.com/e...page-and-now-divine/

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
I want to paint all the houses in my neighborhood with Frank Frazetta Mars series cover art.

Had to look it up:

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post

How about "The Lost Trail" by Charles M Russell ?
From WikiArt
Good for all you folks out west for your North Wall.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
This Mount Dora in Florida? I recall it being small but a bit uppity. I’m not surprised4.

Yep, off of 441, bour 25 min from mom's

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our code enforcement guy was kind of a prick.
Grass too tall? Ticket!
Fence too short or too tall? Ticket.
Motor home in your driveway? Ticket.
Boat out front? Ticket.
And if you watered your lawn during a drought?
Ticket.
Lots of obscure stuff. And the worst part? Each day in violation was a separate offense. Could cost you lots really quick.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16089 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Glad they can't see my house from the public road, so if they can see my house, they are trespassing.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
sounds like the 'magistrate' is trying to make up his own laws

bypass the prick and take it to appeals

then when you win, go after the 'magistrate'

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53179 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
Did you find any ordinances that gave magistrates the power to order a house pained in a solid color that won't draw any attention to it?

That clarifies the issue for me very well. Thank you.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well....it is really a pretty crappy imitation of a "Van Gogh". Smile

I would consider it "grafitti" too.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crom:
Well....it is really a pretty crappy imitation of a "Van Gogh". Smile

I would consider it "grafitti" too.

So, despite the legal definition of graffiti, you would declare it to be graffiti and agree with the magistrate's decision?

- John Adams

safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Being who I am, I would drive them to change their laws so that a house had to be a solid color. Then I'd paint it neon pink.

After that I would drive them to outlaw neon pink paint, and paint the house white. Then I'd install neon pink flood lights.

We could go round and round and round for as long as they wanted to play their games. I think it is outrageous that any public government wishes to be this involved in our lives. Guys like me can come up with legal annoyances much faster than those types can pass laws.

www.zykansafe.com